You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Revolution is here - EyePet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #1

Default Revolution is here - EyePet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPENA1Bpm68

Amazing stuff
Old 08-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #2

My 5 year old daughter will probably love this!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #3

WHY CANT YOU?
your cartoon avatar suggest you can too love it.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
gin soaked boy

Thanks, but no thanks. It's certainly an interesting software toy, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it revolutionary. We've had virtual pets in countless past games, from Creatures, Tamagotchi and Black & White to Seaman, Nintendogs and Ubisoft's Petz series. We've already seen drawings coming to life in games such as Magic Pengel, Graffiti Kingdom and, well, Drawn to Life, and Sony's own Eye of Judgment already treated us to augmented reality interaction with virtual characters. It looks like a neat gimmick, but as long as there's no actual game built around it, count me out.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
WHY CANT YOU?
your cartoon avatar suggest you can too love it.
First of all, it's not just any "cartoon avatar". It's Rincewind.

Second of all, I didn't say I can't enjoy it. It'll be fun for a couple of minutes of curiousity , but I've never found pet-games interesting at all. I didn't like Nintendogs either.

But my daughter will love it, 'cause she loves Nintendogs.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. It's certainly an interesting software toy, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it revolutionary. We've had virtual pets in countless past games, from Creatures, Tamagotchi and Black & White to Seaman, Nintendogs and Ubisoft's Petz series. We've already seen drawings coming to life in games such as Magic Pengel, Graffiti Kingdom and, well, Drawn to Life, and Sony's own Eye of Judgment already treated us to augmented reality interaction with virtual characters. It looks like a neat gimmick, but as long as there's no actual game built around it, count me out.

Actual 'game' term totally relative, i know people who say samethings for adventure games too.

Anyways i was talking about interactive things in that demo, how good the rendering of that pet is and how good the colission elements are , not to mention AI.

And above all did you even know that you can draw anything on paper and it will become 3d object like shown in video(the realtime demo was shown before its possible and it is quite revolutionary, they even created tank), so it has countless possibilites, not only that but the pet will also interact with that thing you create.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Actual 'game' term totally relative, i know people who say samethings for adventure games too.
Sure, that depends on your definition, but I think we should be able to agree that for something to be considered a game, it should have an exact goal ("take care of a pet" is not a goal; "keep your pet alive" might be, but I doubt you'll be allowed to starve this creature to death), success and failure conditions (again, something this product seems to be lacking - besides, if you don't have a clearly defined goal, you can't have success and failure conditions so maybe this is even redundant) and defined rules of interaction. If it doesn't have all of those things, it's a software toy, a sandbox or a simulation (strictly speaking, simulation is not necessarily a game). There's nothing wrong with being one of those things, but I'm not that interested in taking care of a single virtual pet just for the sake of it, my two real dogs are more than enough for me. To each its own, I guess.

Quote:
Anyways i was talking about interactive things in that demo, how good the rendering of that pet is and how good the colission elements are , not to mention AI.
Again, nothing revolutionary about that, just evolutionary. When you devote all your processing power to a single character and several additional objects, it better look good.

Quote:
And above all did you even know that you can draw anything on paper and it will become 3d object like shown in video(the realtime demo was shown before its possible and it is quite revolutionary, they even created tank), so it has countless possibilites, not only that but the pet will also interact with that thing you create.
Sure, things like that were also present in those other games I mentioned. Besides, all we've seen is a simple extrusion of a drawing with some physical properties added in, probably based on shape recognition. It couldn't possibly recognize everything, I doubt it would be able to reproduce, say, a microscope. It's quite neat, but hardly amazing and certainly not revolutionary.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
Psychonaut

Looks rubbish.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Sure, that depends on your definition, but I think we should be able to agree that for something to be considered a game, it should have an exact goal ("take care of a pet" is not a goal; "keep your pet alive" might be, but I doubt you'll be allowed to starve this creature to death), success and failure conditions (again, something this product seems to be lacking - besides, if you don't have a clearly defined goal, you can't have success and failure conditions so maybe this is even redundant) and defined rules of interaction. If it doesn't have all of those things, it's a software toy, a sandbox or a simulation (strictly speaking, simulation is not necessarily a game). There's nothing wrong with being one of those things, but I'm not that interested in taking care of a single virtual pet just for the sake of it, my two real dogs are more than enough for me. To each its own, I guess.
Games do not necessarily need to have a goal or success and failure to be considered games. Take Sims for example (has no success or failure) or Nintendogs (has no goal).

As far as you having dogs, and this game not being for you, that is not who this game is targeting. It is targeting someone who probably is more of a casual gamer (like someone who enjoys nintendogs), and someone who can't necessarily own pets for various reasons we are both aware of.

Firefox rules
Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Games do not necessarily need to have a goal or success and failure to be considered games. Take Sims for example (has no success or failure) or Nintendogs (has no goal).
Strictly speaking, they're not games.

Quote:
As far as you having dogs, and this game not being for you, that is not who this game is targeting. It is targeting someone who probably is more of a casual gamer (like someone who enjoys nintendogs), and someone who can't necessarily own pets for various reasons we are both aware of.
Precisely. It's nomadsoul who is surprised that not everyone is enchanted by this "revolution".