You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Eternity's child

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default Eternity's child

So did anyone grab this on Steam?

Pretty fun mix between platformer and shooter although the animations look kinda tweeny. Also movements don't feel so solid....more liquidy.

Oh and the music is great, so whats everyone elses thoughts on it?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
woof

Oh come on someone must have gotten it.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Now that I've seen the internet drama, I'm curious to see what I'd think of the actual gameplay. I wasn't interested at all before this, because I'd seen a video and it didn't seem to stand out in any way. But now I'm curious, as I said. Is it really as terrible as it's made out to be (as a quick look on YouTube for gameplay videos would seem to confirm), or is there something to it?

Isn't there supposed to be a demo out? I can't find it.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #4

I have to admit that when it was announced that Eternity's Child was leaving XBLA for Wiiware I was furious with MS...after all, how on earth does one go about losing such a beautiful looking exclusive title that was built upon the toolset specifically designed for your console! The excuse at the time was that the devs moved the game from XBLA because MS wouldn't give them the file size increase they needed for the high-res backgrounds...which was infuriating as well since MS had already allowed Capcom and Konami to violate file-size limits with a handful of their games...

This occurred around the same time that I became aware of another 2D platforming title for XBLA (Braid). So Eternity's Child quickly became one of my most anticipated indie games for the Wiiware/PC and a blemish upon MS's management of XBLA in my opinion. I couldn't understand how MS let EC go but kept something as preposterous-looking as Braid. Fast forward a few months and I'm shocked. Braid turned out to be simply amazing and EC appears to be garbage...plus the file size is only 50MB according to the game's Steam Page!!!

Gee...I guess the "MS won't give us a file size up-age" was a lie to cover up why MS wanted nothing to do with this game. Oh well, I know which new indie 2D game I'm buying tonight and it starts with a B. It's a real shame this game turned out so poorly (and an even greater shame that the dev is such a foul human being). Granted for $5 the artwork might be worth it to some..
Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
I have to admit that when it was announced that Eternity's Child was leaving XBLA for Wiiware I was furious with MS...after all, how on earth does one go about losing such a beautiful looking exclusive title that was built upon the toolset specifically designed for your console! The excuse at the time was that the devs moved the game from XBLA because MS wouldn't give them the file size increase they needed for the high-res backgrounds...which was infuriating as well since MS had already allowed Capcom and Konami to violate file-size limits with a handful of their games...

This occurred around the same time that I became aware of another 2D platforming title for XBLA (Braid). So Eternity's Child quickly became one of my most anticipated indie games for the Wiiware/PC and a blemish upon MS's management of XBLA in my opinion. I couldn't understand how MS let EC go but kept something as preposterous-looking as Braid. Fast forward a few months and I'm shocked. Braid turned out to be simply amazing and EC appears to be garbage...plus the file size is only 50MB according to the game's Steam Page!!!

Gee...I guess the "MS won't give us a file size up-age" was a lie to cover up why MS wanted nothing to do with this game. Oh well, I know which new indie 2D game I'm buying tonight and it starts with a B. It's a real shame this game turned out so poorly (and an even greater shame that the dev is such a foul human being). Granted for $5 the artwork might be worth it to some..
Actualy I remember reading an interview of that guy, think it was on destructoid or something. I remember seeing him mention something about him not being good at paperwork wich is why he couldnt get his game on Xbox live and that the only reason he was getting it onto wiiware is cause he had a frine who worked with somehting or other that made it easyer for him to get it there...or something like that

But did something happen that I missed with the developer? The only other thing apart from this game I know about him is hes doing som holocaust game or something.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

His game got a scathing review on Destructoid, he stuck around by their comments section long enough to hear a lot of readers curse him, and he declared that he would never again make a videogame. I find this fascinating.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
woof

OH LOL destructoid gave it a bad review? Wow thats the last thing I would have expected the way they had been hyping it and being all buddy buddy with that guy.
He even accepted their request for Mr.Destructoid to be one of the enemies.

I wonder if that means hes not doing that hollocaust Ds game now.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post
Actualy I remember reading an interview of that guy, think it was on destructoid or something. I remember seeing him mention something about him not being good at paperwork wich is why he couldnt get his game on Xbox live and that the only reason he was getting it onto wiiware is cause he had a frine who worked with somehting or other that made it easyer for him to get it there...or something like that

But did something happen that I missed with the developer? The only other thing apart from this game I know about him is hes doing som holocaust game or something.
Regardless of what the actual reason was the dev did lay the blame upon the supposedly restrictive file size limits on XBLA...

http://kotaku.com/gaming/console-swa...wii-298054.php
Quote:
The social commentary is thick in this former Xbox Live Arcade title, now making the switch to the Wii and DS due to size constraints.
...which is amusing since MS had upped the file size for XBLA games to 150MB on March 5th of 2007....then six months later the EC dev claims that they're jumping ship because of file size restrictions. Then 3 months ago MS upped the limit again to 350MB. Now EC releases t a mere 50MB making it small enough to have fit within XBLA limits at launch in 2005. I've no doubt based on the feedback about the game thus far that MS wanted nothing to do with it and saw that the game was headed nowhere fast. Instead of accepting that fact the dev decided to lie about the issue. I don't mean to sound like I'm ahrping on the jump from XBLA issue, but the deception behind what occurred clearly is quite telling about the quality of the final product.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
His game got a scathing review on Destructoid, he stuck around by their comments section long enough to hear a lot of readers curse him, and he declared that he would never again make a videogame. I find this fascinating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post
OH LOL destructoid gave it a bad review? Wow thats the last thing I would have expected the way they had been hyping it and being all buddy buddy with that guy.
He even accepted their request for Mr.Destructoid to be one of the enemies.

I wonder if that means hes not doing that hollocaust Ds game now.
Destructoid gave it a 1 out of 10, they even lamented doing such in the review but in one of the two opinions is was "the worst game I've played in several years."

http://www.destructoid.com/destructo...ld-97583.phtml

Luc Bernard then got on the destructoid comment forum, blamed his programmer instead of accepting any responsibility and eventually reached the point of calling, and being called names by, everyone there. Apparently he's so upset that they're pulling the Destructoid character from the game. It's amusing how this guy blamed MS for his game not coming out on XBLA, then blamed Destructoid for unfairly reviewing it, blamed his programmer for everything else, and is now going to leave the industry like its our loss and not his...good riddance I say.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
woof

Wow, I actualy find all that kinda sad cause I really liked the art style and music. 1/10 seems kinda harsh but I guess their dissapointment might have influenced the score aswell or something.

Also I must have bought the game before all that since the Destructoid robot was still there in my game, either that or he just didnt follow through on his threat since hes left the industry forever.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #11

Haven't really been following the whole drama, but this was an interesting interview:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=19875