You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Final Fantasy III - god, am I frustrated (spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default Final Fantasy III - god, am I frustrated (spoilers)

I have been playing this game on DS and really enjoying it - it's probably the most use I've gotten out of my DS in a year.

Okay, so here's the problem. I'm almost at the end of the game, and I've become thoroughly frustrated by the lack of save points. As far as I can tell, the only place to save is outside the Crystal Tower, at which point you have to go through the Crystal Tower (fighting all the way), sit through the long cutscene with the magic mirror, fight Xande, and then beat five more bosses to win. There are no more save points during any of this. I have spent about six hours trying to get past this and am ready to throw the DS across the room.

Am I missing something obvious, or is there really nowhere else to save? And for those who have finished it, is the ending worth it or should I just put the game away now? I enjoyed it so much up until this point, but this just isn't fun anymore.

(Incidentally, I had the same problem with Mario and Luigi Partners in Time... I got really close to the end, and then there were a couple of bosses that I was spending hours fighting and I still died, until I finally just gave up.)
Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Barroom hero

I hated this game with passion, it personifies everything I hate in some JRPGs : all fight and no story makes Jack a dull boy.
The key to finishing the game is levelling like there's no tomorrow : enter the dungeon, when you have killed a nice bunch of monsters, escape, save... and iterate.

I don't know if you ever played Final Fantasy VI but the GBA version runs on your DS slot 2 and it is an immensely superior game in terms of story and character design, Fov *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

Edit: oh and get Professor Layton for a really nice and quite casual puzzle fest!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Psychonaut

As far as I know there isn't another save position. You have to do all that without getting killed i'm afraid.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #4
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi View Post
I hated this game with passion, it personifies everything I hate in some JRPGs
*high five*

I also despise random encounters every four steps, in any direction. This, unfortunately made it into the Dragon Quest remakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi View Post
I don't know if you ever played Final Fantasy VI but the GBA version runs on your DS slot 2 and it is an immensely superior game in terms of story and character design
The japanese language version of the ds remake of ff4 has been out for some time, I believe the european/usa release is later this year (much later). I think english language versions of FFTA2 and The World Ends With You come from square's womb first, FFCCROF was only just released.

JSRPGS however, I love for their simple rock- scissors- paper mechanics. FFTA and Hoshigami Remix get tedious, Luminous Arc was almost fast enough, but hands down winner for story and gameplay fun for me is the Fire Emblem series. Handheld gold, I'm looking forward to the upcoming ds version which appears to be the first in the series, and has never had an english release...

sorry for waffling offish topicish...
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
The key to finishing the game is levelling like there's no tomorrow : enter the dungeon, when you have killed a nice bunch of monsters, escape, save... and iterate.
That hadn't occurred to me. How boring... yet I see how it would be better than leveling up for an hour without saving and then dying.

Question: Is it possible to escape the tower after fighting Xande and being revived? I haven't tried it, but leaving and saving then would probably also be a good idea.

I've been looking forward to the English release of FF4 because I was enjoying this one so much. I will always feel guilty if I don't finish FF3 first, though...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
A Servicable Villain

Hah, welcome to JRPG's, where grinding is part of the game =) It's probably the most insanely awful game mechanic ever invented: invisible enemies that force you into a battle in another screen every few steps. It's the reason there are only a few JRPG's that managed to capture me; Skies of Arcadia Legends one of them.

It's a real shame, because a lot of 'em have interesting stories to offer and fascinating designs, lush worlds... too bad about 40+ hours of mindless levelling against the same enemies. Strange folk, the Japanese.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
The World Ends With You
I read this as "The World Ends With YouTube" at first. I was thinking, "Well, it always knew it would be true, but I never thought that it would be proven so soon." Ha. Then I reread it and realized that I am insane.