You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General psp vs. nintendo ds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #21

I get more play out of my PSP as of late. Between Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles, Gradius Collection, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, and the ports of Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics, by golly, you really can't go wrong.

The DS has some great games, too, so there's really no wrong choice here. Hotel Dusk is definitely a game worth checking out, and I'll get around to trying the new Zelda as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #22

OK, despite the criticism I've decided on a PSP. It was a tough call but in the end the PSP games appeal to me more. I mean, if I'm going to play an adventure, I'd prefer my PC anyway so I had to look at what other games were offered and PSP won.

But thanks to everyone who gave their point of view. That's one thing I like about this site, there's never a lack of opinion!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruithead View Post
so here's the new question. if all the same games were offered on both system, which would you choose.
That question can't be answered, because some of the best games on the DS explicitly utilize the touchscreen, and can't be properly ported to a system that doesn't support it.

I got a DS from my girlfriend for my birthday, and it's the best present I've had in years. I have already bought a handful of games, and I'm enjoying all of them incredibly. Seriously, it's the best thing I've had in my hands in YEARS. Fantastic stuff!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
JKR

I'm a bigger fan of the DS, but the PSP has some very nice features, especially the screen size and clarity. I couldn't pass up games like Elite Beat Agents, New Super Mario Brothers, Chibi Robo DS, and Mario Kart DS though. Too good!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #25
Treasure Hunter

I wish I had both... I only own a DS right now, with an R4 (for homebrew) and I can only say that the DS does what the PSP don't. And the PSP does what the DS don't. They're not really comparable, as they generally utilize very different control schemes. It's mainly about whether you want Fun vs Serious Gaming, or Originality vs Ports of "been there, done that."

I went for a DS because of the special features it has, and I'd go for the PSP (if I had the money) because of the special features it has.

It's like trying to compare a PS3 and a Wii.

Playing: ...
Next up: Syberia 2, Full Throttle, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #26

Personally, a DS.
I've tried the PSP and I just like the DS overall, with being able to play GBA games and all those original games out on the DS.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #27

^ upload a GBA emulator to the psp along with the games and u can play it on the psp.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #28

For me the novalty of the DS and Wii has worn off. I've bought one game for the DS this year - Monkey Ball (cos' I'm a MB fan) and some pinball game for my mum to play on the Wii.

With games like Silent Hill Origins I'm starting to see what the power of the PSP is capable of. I really like the analog on the PSP - 3D games feel so smooth.

I say buy both (and a Gameboy Micro - the best handheld ever). You never know when you're going to want one of the games for either of them. And I don't feel guilty owning both like I would a PS3 & Xbox360, because the type of experience for each is completely different.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #29

It's great to have both but if I had to choose one, that's very difficult.

I play a lot of US releases but I play a lot of imports.

At this current time, I'm putting more gametime towards my PSP because of "Final Fantasy Tactics" (which I beat two weeks ago) and now I'm playing "Disgaea" and trying to complete "Syphon Filter 2". As well as a few RPG's and the last Castlevania.

But I enjoy my DS and I have a lot of games that I bought that I need to finish like the Phoenix Wright games, Zelda, etc. And there are games that I love for the system like "Advance Wars", "Final Fantasy", "Castlevania", etc.

But in terms of imports, I enjoy the DS for games like "Bleach", "Ouendan", "Jump All Stars", etc. but I enjoy PSP games like the "DJ MAX", "Bleach", "Naruto", "Densha de Go", "Taiko", etc. games.

So, really, it depends on your taste. My tastes for video games is so wide that I enjoy playing everything and it also shows on my tastes for PC and console gaming. As much as I would like to limit myself to a console esp. to save games, there are too many games I want to play.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #30
Master of time and space

With the release of Patapon I'm seriously thinking of getting a PSP for easter as I have a long road trip ahead of me and when I've managed to talk my girl friend into driving I can kill some hours with a hand held.

By the way, the US retail price for Patapon is $20 it's more like €40 in the Sweden.
WTF!?

Also with games like Cannon Fodder, Dracula X Chronicles, Puzzle Quest, Final Fantasy Tactics, Gradius Collect etc. I think there will be enough games to entertain me later on as well.

Anyway. Pata pata pata pon!

Last edited by MdaG; 03-02-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #31
Vigilant

I have had both systems since they came out and I have gotten much more use out of the DS than the PSP. I have played all the big hits for each system and they both are quality units with much to bring to the table. Patapon and God of War are huge additions to the PSP's repertoire, making the system much more exciting of recent. I wish that I didn't have an analog stick problem with the PSP or the controls for platformers would be much more enjoyable.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #32
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I have had both systems since they came out and I have gotten much more use out of the DS than the PSP. I have played all the big hits for each system and they both are quality units with much to bring to the table. Patapon and God of War are huge additions to the PSP's repertoire, making the system much more exciting of recent. I wish that I didn't have an analog stick problem with the PSP or the controls for platformers would be much more enjoyable.
How does the 3D games work on the PSP. Is the controls any good, is the screen large enough? I'm mainly going to focus on "simpler" games which I image work better on a hand held. For example I don't think I'll bother with Metal Gear Solid or God of War on the PSP. Or am I assuming too much about a 3D game not working as well in the hand held formats?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #33
Homer of Kittens

I personally like both the same at this point in time. At the beginning, I think the DS had a much wider selection of high quality games, but the PSP is slowly building its quality titles, with brilliant games like Patapon and God of War PSP.
My favorite DS games that I played are: Hotel Dusk, Advanced Wars, Phoenix Wright (first one mainly), Another Code, Professor Layton, Meteos, Picross DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, the Brain Age games(if you are into those. I find them enjoyable).

The PSP on the other hand has: Crush(one of the best puzzle games out there), Exit, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Lumines, Locoroco, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, Jeanne D'arc, and Daxter. New great additions coming this year are: Patapon, God of War, Echochrome and Flow (if you don't own them on the PSN), Final Fatasy, and Super Agent Clank.

Firefox rules
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #34
JKR

Now that Professor Layton and the Curious Village is out, I don't even LOOK at the PSP sitting in my bedroom anymore. MAN is this game good... Amazing.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #35
Master of time and space

Having bought a PSP Slim together with Patapon, Lumines II, Exit, Final Fantasy - Tactics and Gradius Collection; I have to say that I'm very impressed with what it does. The last hand held I owned was a Gameboy and I'm more pleased with the PSP than I ever was with the Gameboy. Since I'm a tech geek I think I made the right decision concerning buying a PSP in favor of the DS. It's even made me aware that the PS3 might also be something for me...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #36
Vigilant

MdaG, I wouldn't neglect some of the 3D games that have come out for the system at all. Some of them have done spectacularly well with only one analog stick and it would be a crime to write them off your list. I understand your concern, but I think the PSP does much better with 3D games than the DS in terms of depth perception and control scheme and the way that the top PSP action/adventure games are created fit astonishingly. At times, I find myself forgetting that I have the whole system in my hand but rather just the controller.

I wholeheartedly recommend God of War, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Daxter, Prince of Persia Rival Swords, Crush, both GTA's and Ratchet and Clank as shining examples of successful 3D handhelds that will entertain you for hours. Don't miss out on God of War, though. It is the most polished action/adventure on the PSP to date.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #37
Master of time and space

Quote:
I wholeheartedly recommend God of War, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Daxter, Prince of Persia Rival Swords, Crush, both GTA's and Ratchet and Clank as shining examples of successful 3D handhelds that will entertain you for hours. Don't miss out on God of War, though. It is the most polished action/adventure on the PSP to date.
Might look in to them then. Just ordered Disgaea - Afternoon of Darkness as I'm absolutely taken by Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions at the moment.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #38

Make sure you get a good pair of headphones for 'Silent Hill: Origins'. It really does add to the experience. Lights off too!!!

EDIT: Oops! I just realised that I posted this much too late! How did you enjoy 'Silent Hill' fruithead?