You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General psp vs. nintendo ds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Default psp vs. nintendo ds

lately i've been thinking i might like a handheld console for christmas since sometimes i really don't want to sit at the computer. i'm having trouble deciding between a psp and a nintendo ds.

can anyone with a preference tell me why they like one better than the other? in terms of games, does anyone know which has better games. i'm an adventure gamer and i know ds has a few adventure-ish titles but a lot of the other games seem really young. then again, psp games look great but might be a little too combat focused for me.

anyone wanna weigh in?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Nintendo DS without a doubt.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #3

Why?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #4

depends entirely what you're into but i can tell u right now that the best value u can get by far is investing in the psp.

if ur into simple gaming and just want a handheld that does exactly that then DS is the choice.

if however u want much more than that then psp is definitely the best. psp offers the ability for homebrew software meaning u can add emulators, videos/movies and music etc. with emulators u can play ps1, nes, snes, sega megadrive and MAME games on it. it does require a bit of research though but in the end it's more than worth it.

basically in terms of features: PSP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS
the only area DS trumps over the PSP is within their own game libraries.. due to the nature of the DS more innovative games are released on it with more variety and originality.

the PSP however is superior in the technical department and as such can have games with much better 3d environments and the like. something that was considered near impossible before has been proven true with the port of the arcade fighting game Tekken: Dark Resurrection which aside from a couple of minor flaws is a near perfect conversion of the arcade game.

as of right now though the libraries on each side stack up to each other pretty well according to gamerankings with a few more 80%+ ranked games on PSP than on the DS.. the negative part is that a good amount of them are ports from ps2/ps1 but the technical aspect of it leaves room for more options than the DS.

personally though i've always known that PSP has the best long term appeal simply because there's so many options available.
the main feature of the DS has always been the touch screen and it looks to me like it has worn out its welcome seeing as alot of games don't even put it to good use anymore... exceptions are zelda:phantom hourglass and the upcoming ninja gaiden game.

anyways hope it helps.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

If you want to play especially great games, then Nintendo DS is your choice.

It has had amazing adventure games, it will have even more amazing adventure games in the future.

To top that, it has other amazing games from all possible genres and many of them have a great working Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection support over the internet.

Simply the best travel pocket console you could have.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #6

The PSP has plenty of fantastic games to choose from. Ridge Racer, Syphon Filter, Daxter, LocoRoco, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions, Disgea, Castlevania Dracula X, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Grand Theft Auto, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, Outrun 2006 etc etc.

The DS has a lot of great games too, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #7

Though I do not own one I'm inclined to agree with phillyX that if homebrew software is your thing, the PSP is a superior device. The DS has its own vibrant homebrew scene but if you care a lot about technical specs, the PSP is the handheld for you...

HOWEVER. If we are to compare existing game libraries, the DS wins by a long way. I can think of only a handful of games that interest me on the PSP (LocoRoco, Echochrome and Crush) while the DS has things like Hotel Dusk and Another Code in addition to old favourites like Mario, Zelda and Tetris. The stylus and touch-screen make a great interface when used properly. Trauma Center: Under the Knife, for example, is one of the most fascinating and original games I've played in ages. Basically you get to be a surgeon with a stylus.

But, if I had to give only one reason to recommend a DS to an adventure enthusiast it would be: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #8

Thanks for the info...even though you have not made the decision any easier

I'm leaning to the PSP just because I love Silent Hill and Silent Hill: Origins have just come out for PSP. Though I am swayed by the adventure titles on DS. My only problem there, though, is it seems a lot of DS games use anime graphics, even ones people rave about like Phoenix Wright. And I know this may sound closed-minded but I just don't see myself playing anything anime, I really can't stand it.

And in the end I think it will come down to what games I like better. Though the extra things offered by PSP are attractive.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I can't really comment on the PSP since I've never tried it, but I will say that I bought a DS bundle (with Worms Open Warfare 2) a few months ago and honestly it's the best £105 I’ve ever spent, because I haven't been able to put it down since I got it.

I've tried a couple of full 3D games like Mario 64DS and though I think graphically they look great, I don't feel the DS's controls and layout are very well suited that style of game...When it comes to the touchscreen however, now that's a completely different story. It's a fantastic innovation that offers near infinite possibilities, and has certainly not "worn out it's welcome" as one previous poster insinuated, one look at the titles being released should quickly disprove that theory.

And I wouldn't write off Phoenix Wright so easily. The game contains so many things that I usually despise in an adventure game (i.e extremely linear gameplay, first person perspective, dialogue heavy) but the quality of the writing and colourful characters completely won me over.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
a|A

Send a message via MSN to a|A

I own both a PSP and a DS.
They both have advantages and disadvantages. Personally though, I would take my DS over my PSP anyway. I really dislike the PSP. It's large, clunky, and has a horrible 'joystick' ( if you can call it that ) attachment. Sure, you can play those awful UMD movies, and copy songs onto it ( if you want to go out and buy GB memory sticks ), but the game library is pretty bland. we <3 katamari and lumines were the best things on it. The touch screen on the DS makes it so much more interesting. Plus, it has such great titles as Tetris, Zelda : Phantom Hourglass, Meteos, Metroid, Mario, and the great little adventure game, Hotel Dusk.

There's also the option to run ScummVM on the DS. But you need to have the appropriate homebrew stuff for that to work. Still though, Monkey island portable ? Yes please.

Last edited by stepurhan; 11-27-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Psychonaut

I never play my PSP anymore.

The screen is fantastic and technically it is superior to the DS. The battery life is pathetic, the UMD drive slow and noisy and the analogue nub is next to useless.

There are a couple of decent games however they are mostly pointless PS1/2 ports.

My DS gets played constantly from the fantastic range of adventure games on or due to be released on the DS to Zelda Phantom Hourglass or the Mario games to the ScuMMVMDS allowing me to play Sam and Max with the stylus.

The DS is vastly superior in terms of games over the PSP.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
Headbanger

If your favourite genre is adventuregames then there is no doubt about what you should buy. DS it is. SH:Origins is the only reason I know to own a PSP but there are more reasons for the DS, anime graphics or not.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruithead View Post
Thanks for the info...even though you have not made the decision any easier

I'm leaning to the PSP just because I love Silent Hill and Silent Hill: Origins have just come out for PSP. Though I am swayed by the adventure titles on DS. My only problem there, though, is it seems a lot of DS games use anime graphics, even ones people rave about like Phoenix Wright. And I know this may sound closed-minded but I just don't see myself playing anything anime, I really can't stand it.

And in the end I think it will come down to what games I like better. Though the extra things offered by PSP are attractive.
well the DS is made by nintendo... so most of the games are going to be soft colours and anime style whether u like it or not. there are some serious games like castlevania, ninja gaiden, metroid prime, hotel dusk(adventure game) and the like.

don't know why most people say there aren't any interesting games on the psp... i for one love fighting games and the psp is pretty much the only handheld in existance where fighting games don't suck(apart from the awful dpad... but that can be modded easily).

alot of the other games have already been mentioned in here and regardless if they're ports they're still there to prove that the PSP stands out as a powerful handheld as well as the ability to upload and play every single game from the classic consoles.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #14

I forgot to mention that if you have a PS3, you can download PS1 games for a small sum and use it on your PSP.

Personally, I find the games selection for PSP has surpassed all expectations. It was a long running joke that the PSP didn't have any good games, but now that's changed and it has them in bucketloads. If you're interested in a pocket version of PS2, then get a PSP. If you're interested in short bursts of fun, get a DS.

And while Another Code was good, I would definately not base a buy on that. It took around six hours to complete, and you'll never pick it up again. This fact actually made me stay away from Hotel Dusk, although I will buy it if I can find it cheap. Personally, I have no interest in Phoenix Wright, simply because I don't feel like yelling "objection" to a dead object.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 AM   #15
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Personally, I have no interest in Phoenix Wright, simply because I don't feel like yelling "objection" to a dead object.
Not even a problem, the voice recognition is purely optional.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #16
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
And while Another Code was good, I would definately not base a buy on that. It took around six hours to complete, and you'll never pick it up again. This fact actually made me stay away from Hotel Dusk, although I will buy it if I can find it cheap.
Hotel Dusk is worth all your money. It surpasses Another Code in every aspect.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #17
XXJ

I have both DS and PSP. Both is good.

DS have more adventure game lineup than PSP.
(ex.phoenix wright, hotel dusk and many many..)

And PSP have a lot of good non adventure games.
IGN » Games » PSP » Release Dates

recently, I'm interested in God of War: Chains of Olympus , Silent Hill Origins and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

Last edited by XXJ; 11-23-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #18

i still thinking i'm leaning toward a psp because, aside from the few adventure titles on ds, there aren't that many other ds games that interest me.

so here's the new question. if all the same games were offered on both system, which would you choose. i guess a big aspect for me is which is most comfortable to play, which is lighter and has nicer controls. i know it's different for everyone but for those of you who've tried both, which system was better, games aside?

thanks!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #19

I really wouldn't hold the anime visuals against Phoenix Wright. I don't generally care for that either (with the exception of Miyasaki and a few others) but it really doesn't get in the way. You won't even notice it eventually cause you'll be too engrossed in the great writing and puzzles. Seriously most fun I've had playing an adventure game in years.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #20
A Servicable Villain

Controlwise, I think the DS is a lot better. I always thought the PSP was a tad too broad for my tastes; I like to keep my hands a bit together. But as far as controls go; the touch screen of the DS is absolutely great in a fair few games. Play something like Animal Crossing or Phantom Hourglass and you'll experience a whole new way to play games. Honestly, the better graphics of the PSP don't stack up to this at all.