You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Japanese "RPG"

What other franchises are there apart from Final Fantasy and are they worth looking into? I prefer real time battles compared to semi or turn based combat since it usually gets less repetitive unless combat is moderately used. I've tried Grandia 2 and while it was OK, I prefer Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 10 (those are the FF games I've played).
Old 07-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Tales of *
Chrono *
* of Mana
Dragon Quest
Grandia

I do not know which ones are turnbased and which ones are in real time though.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

By the way, FF9 is alot more like a traditional RPG than FF7/8. Classic fantasy roles, party strategies and an oldschool equipment system. FF12 is supposed to have gotten rid of the random encounters in favor for a more western style ( looks like an MMORPG and play out in real time).
Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #4

Star Ocean was a good game, the story was very good, just dont make the same mistake I did by not being strong enough to defeat the boss at the end [damn I hate it when I do that].
Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Star Ocean was a good game, the story was very good, just dont make the same mistake I did by not being strong enough to defeat the boss at the end [damn I hate it when I do that].
Currently running around fighting enemies until Yuna levels up enough to earn Holy. Gotten beat one too many times already fighting Yunalesca... Hope this helps. So there is no way to get good enough to kill the last boss after a certain point in Star Ocean?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
kamikaze hummingbirds

Chrono Trigger was turn-based, but the encounters weren't random, and it deals with the combat in an innovative way (for that time, anyway).
I enjoyed it, it was very non-linear, but I couldn't finish it, because it got way to difficult!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
handsome

a great turn-based rpg:

Breath of Fire 4 - http://psx.ign.com/articles/163/163551p1.html
cool story, cool graphics. oldskool feeling

an awesome real-time rpg:

dot Hack (part 1,2,3 and 4) - http://ps2.ign.com/articles/385/385577p1.html
awesome story (2 dvd's each game.. the game and a short film (a story happening outside the game's world) and nice graphics.

anyone played Breath of Fire 5 or .hack\\G.U.? how are they?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I enjoyed it, it was very non-linear, but I couldn't finish it, because it got way to difficult!
are you serious? pretty easy game.. and a good one.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #9

Played breath of fire 3 (sadly yet to play the rest of the series) and i loved it , very good story. Turn based combat and yes , random encounters. The fishing mini game was great , kind of clueless about the faerie village building mini game though and there were several mini games throughout which makes the game far more fun.

Try Lunar 2 : Eternal blue , again old school turn based combat and oldschool graphics but the storyline , voiceovers , music and anime cutscenes are fantastic.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #10

Both technically turn based series, but they have pretty cool battle systems so the combine doesn't really get old - the Shadow Hearts series, and from the Shin Megami Tensei series: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Digital Devil Saga 2. Nice change of pace games.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #11

Final Fantasy XIII will be realtime. I mean the battles. I wwant the DS one

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
XXJ

Default Persona 2

Persona 2 see wiki

Persona 2: Innocent Sin gamespot
Persona 2: Eternal punishment gamespot

These games have a rare character.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #13
Master of time and space

Oh, there are quite a lot of these then, huh?
Considering how many hours it takes to get through one I suppose I'll have to be selective then
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 AM   #14
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

The Mario RPGs. Specifically, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and especially Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga are brilliant. If you don't ever play any other RPG, play M&L:SS. That is, if you've got a GBA.

And yeah, Chrono Trigger's pretty good. I don't think it deserves all the praise it's gotten, but it certainly deserves some.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Currently running around fighting enemies until Yuna levels up enough to earn Holy. Gotten beat one too many times already fighting Yunalesca... Hope this helps. So there is no way to get good enough to kill the last boss after a certain point in Star Ocean?
You could but it is a pain to go back down.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
Played breath of fire 3 (sadly yet to play the rest of the series) and i loved it , very good story. Turn based combat and yes , random encounters. The fishing mini game was great...
never played the 3rd (and 1st) but from what ive heard, every aspect of Breath of fire 4 is much better then all the others... try it. I also played the 2nd (my first rpg) for snes many years ago, awesome game. Fishing..I never caught a wale . Lunar never caught my attention till now, is the story really that good? (good plot twists?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL99 View Post
And yeah, Chrono Trigger's pretty good. I don't think it deserves all the praise it's gotten, but it certainly deserves some.
Ahead of its time imo..
Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
Master of time and space

I already own Star Ocean - Till the end of time, Dragon Quest - Journey of the cursed King and Final Fantasy X2. That should be at least 150 hours of game play right there. Though I'm thinking of selling off Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy X2 since I doubt I'll be playing them with all these new games coming in. Or are they good enough to prioritize higher ? Star Ocean has something new to offer so I'm going to give that a chance as my next JRPG.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
handsome

X2 is pretty boring..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Star Ocean has something new to offer so I'm going to give that a chance as my next JRPG.
Like what?

(i see ur playin MSG-sons of liberty loved that game)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #19
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
X2 is pretty boring..

Like what?

(i see ur playin MSG-sons of liberty loved that game)
Why is FFX2 boring?

Star Ocean has real time battles and there aren't any random encounters. This is new to me when it comes to JRPG.

MGS2 rules!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
never played the 3rd (and 1st) but from what ive heard, every aspect of Breath of fire 4 is much better then all the others... try it. I also played the 2nd (my first rpg) for snes many years ago, awesome game. Fishing..I never caught a wale . Lunar never caught my attention till now, is the story really that good? (good plot twists?).

Ahead of its time imo..
The Lunar series (Silver star story & Eternal blue) is fantastic , don't let the oldschool in-game graphics turn you off. The story is great (did have some plot twists) , very funny and the characters are all very likeable. The numerous anime cutscenes , the voiceovers and the music are pretty cool. It was one game that i dare say , i felt sad when i finished it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-vSp0LRNM

A small video walkthrough in Lunar 1 : Silver star story showing you how the gameplay is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Ad8OFt70M

Last edited by marshal99; 07-09-2007 at 02:49 AM.