Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming soon? - Apparently so! Yay! - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming soon? - Apparently so! Yay!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #1

Default Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming soon? - Apparently so! Yay!

I don't know how closely everyone else has been reading the Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars blog after seeing those leaked KQ9 screens in the AG news, but I found this bit intriguing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl
3) Ubisoft Montpelier is working on Beyond Good & Evil 2, Frédérick Raynal's new game (creepy), and an MMO. One of those will see release next year and the other two in 2009.

(...)

UPDATE #2: In a comment on the GameSetWatch post about this post (and others), Phil Fish says this (which is essentially what I've been hearing for awhile):

"at first, RRR was going to be your usual rayman platform game, but with wii controls. or atleast that's what ancel wanted to make. but it became clear early on that this wasnt going to be possible.
so, so other designer stepped up and came up up with the mini/party game idea using the rabbids character that ancel had came up with himself. higher-ups were pleased and the project was given a greenlight. ancel was FURIOUS. he threatened to leave ubisoft if he didnt get what he wanted. afraid to lose their ONE big famous designer (altho i guess clint kind of fits that mold now), ubisoft caved in and pretty much gave ancel a carte blanche to do whatever he wished next. so he made beyond good and evil too. and thats why ancel isnt credited as a designer on RR but rather just as a character designer."
Based on her other posts Surfer Girl appears to be remarkably well-informed, so I'm inclined to believe this.

I guess we'll see what happens to Pey'j and Jade after all. Also, Frédérick Raynal (creator of LBA) making a new game is no less cause for celebration.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yeah, Ancel's and Raynal's possible new projects get myself quite excited.
It's not easy to describe how happy I will be if and when those projects will be unveiled to be true.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Puts the 'e' in Mark

BG&E2 could actually be a sales success and even warrant a third game. Look at what happened with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

Too bad the executives will have to stumble upon this success by accident.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #4

I think the only reason the Prince of Persia sequels sold was positive word of mouth about Sands of Time, because it won't have been their merits. Same thing could indeed happen to BG&E, only with a sequel that deserves the attention...
Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
JKR

I'm waiting for SurferGirl to be proven right a bit before jumping on the bandwagon. While BG&E2 would be great, I won't hold my breath just yet.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
BG&E2 could actually be a sales success and even warrant a third game. Look at what happened with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

Too bad the executives will have to stumble upon this success by accident.
Shadow of the Colossus was no accident. Sony plugged in a heck of a lot more money in advertisement. They really pushed for it to be a big hit.

But agreed Ubisoft could learn from that example. From one colossal failure to a colossal success so long as they put the effort to make that game known.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Surfer Girl has been proven right many times, the most recent one being her Resistance 2 reveal.

I'm looking forward to BG&E2, but the next Raynal's game is what makes me especially excited.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
A Servicable Villain

Just think back about what oracle Ron Gilbert said: Humongous' children's adventures only became successes with their second and third instalments. Somehow, sequels inspire trust, or there's brand recognition, I don't know, but it seems a game first has to enter the gaming lexicon or discours of the general public, and then it can hit.

A more colloquial response to this thread, however, is WOOHOO! A next-gen Beyond Good & Evil! Hell yes! If this thing comes out I am going to assault people into buying it! (If it's any good, of course ^_^)
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Surfer Girl has been proven right many times, the most recent one being her Resistance 2 reveal.

I'm looking forward to BG&E2, but the next Raynal's game is what makes me especially excited.
Any link to a place that catalogs her correct "predictions"? I mean, I'm hardly deep within the game industry, but even I knew Resistance 2 was in the works. I don't see that as much proof. It's like saying "There will be a new Mario Party for the Wii".
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #10

The Rabbids being a platformer originally is certainly true, though I'm not sure whether there might already be other sources publicly confirming this.

Her posting various screenshots lends a degree of credibility as well. It would be fairly easy to tell if they were faked and I have hard time imagining anyone bothering to put that much effort into an elaborate hoax that would inevitably fall apart in a matter of months if not weeks.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Any link to a place that catalogs her correct "predictions"? I mean, I'm hardly deep within the game industry, but even I knew Resistance 2 was in the works. I don't see that as much proof. It's like saying "There will be a new Mario Party for the Wii".
It's not just that she said it was coming, she actually revealed some details that later turned out to be true. However, I believe Insomniac asked her to remove that information because she later edited her posts and now won't talk about Resistance 2 anymore. She also released several screenshots from an early build of the next Prince of Persia game, together with some info that was later confirmed by a person who used to work for Ubisoft when the project was in its early stages. Similarly, she revealed the title of Bioware's Sonic the Hedgehog RPG (although at the time she only knew that it was a western studio produced action RPG for SEGA, not that it was the Sonic RPG) and some other things I can't seem to remember now.

By the way, Raynal working for Ubisoft Montpelier has been confirmed by the man himself ages ago.

Last edited by insane_cobra; 01-28-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It's quite cool to hear Raynal's name connected with game development after so long time.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #13

Oho, this would be nice. I'd love to see Jade back in action!

a game as captivating as BG&E should really have had a much wider audience. so I must agree with the posts above. it deserves another chance.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #14

I loved this game but couldnt finish it because of the fight sequence with the boss gave me motion sickness, but I would play it if they make a 2nd game.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
I loved this game but couldnt finish it because of the fight sequence with the boss gave me motion sickness, but I would play it if they make a 2nd game.
It that the final fight? Do you know there is a sequence of actions to win this? When you get to know them you can win almost with your eyes closed (exactly what you feel like doing in this intense sequence).
Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #16

Motion sickness is kind of unavoidable even then though I would think... I know people who can't play any third person games because the camera just makes them sick.

The only game that's done that for me was Narbacular Drop, due to the insane space warping and jarring camera moves but I'm glad they ironed that out in Portal.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #17

I get sick sitting on a merry-go-round [seriously] I cant play tomb-raider or any car games, I feel sick just thinking about it.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Motion sickness is kind of unavoidable even then though I would think... I know people who can't play any third person games because the camera just makes them sick.

The only game that's done that for me was Narbacular Drop, due to the insane space warping and jarring camera moves but I'm glad they ironed that out in Portal.
I remember Wolfenstein 3D making me sick, but apart from that one I can't recall any other game.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Banned User

If anyone was to care, I'd really like to see Advent Rising series continued just like BG&E.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #20
Homer of Kittens

Well according to a French magazine, it says that the game is in pre-production. But before all you celebrate, Ubisoft has not given the green light to build this game. So let's just hope someone in Ubisoft management has common sense.

Firefox rules