You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Prince of Persia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Headbanger

Default Prince of Persia

I just got all the new Prince of Persia-games for a really good price. I have started playing The Sands of Time and it really rules (I'm about 30% through). I played the demo when it was released and I remember that I thought it was all right, but not this good. How are the other two and which one is the best?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
eXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I just got all the new Prince of Persia-games for a really good price. I have started playing The Sands of Time and it really rules (I'm about 30% through). I played the demo when it was released and I remember that I thought it was all right, but not this good. How are the other two and which one is the best?
Alot of people complained that part 2 was buggy and did not like the soundtrack (Godsmack is featured prominently). Personally I never ran into any bugs and I enjoyed the music and the dark atmosphere.

The third one adds control of a dark prince whose life depletes constantly, thus making his levels a focus of perfection and timing. It can be frustrating, but highly rewarded when you get through a hard section.

Maybe its just because I was really bored at the time part 2 came out, but my fondest memories are of that one. The Dahaka was a pretty cool adversary (not to mention the final fight in the third game was a cheap ass mess of retardedness).
Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #3

Most people think Warrior Within (2nd game) is the worst of the series, and I have to agree with them, even though it is still a very fine game. But it is inferior to the first one (for novelty and atmosphere) and to the third one (for perfection and, once again, atmosphere).

Warrior Within is also by far the most difficult of the three. It also requires the most backtracking, which can be frustrating and boring. But it's still a very good game well worth playing in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Most people think Warrior Within (2nd game) is the worst of the series, and I have to agree with them, even though it is still a very fine game. But it is inferior to the first one (for novelty and atmosphere) and to the third one (for perfection and, once again, atmosphere).

Warrior Within is also by far the most difficult of the three. It also requires the most backtracking, which can be frustrating and boring. But it's still a very good game well worth playing in my opinion.
How is the third game compare to the first in your opinion then?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
Alot of people complained that part 2 was buggy and did not like the soundtrack (Godsmack is featured prominently). Personally I never ran into any bugs and I enjoyed the music and the dark atmosphere.

The third one adds control of a dark prince whose life depletes constantly, thus making his levels a focus of perfection and timing. It can be frustrating, but highly rewarded when you get through a hard section.

Maybe its just because I was really bored at the time part 2 came out, but my fondest memories are of that one. The Dahaka was a pretty cool adversary (not to mention the final fight in the third game was a cheap ass mess of retardedness).
Godsmack just didn't belong in the second part whether you like the music or not. It just didn't fit with the atmosphere, and IMHO it was what really brought the second part down in my eyes. I don't mind the dark atmosphere, I do mind how poorly integrated it was (mainly because of the music!). They could have added Persian music that was moody and ethereal, but instead they went with Godsmack, which was a horrible decision.

And I agree about the last boss in the third game. In the Two Thrones, the plot had a nice concept but the villain was just too cartoonish to take seriously, and a perversion of what came before.

Spoilers for Two Thrones:

>
>
>
>
>
>
Turning the Vizier into a scarab-human hybrid was another horrible decision. They could have done so much with representing even a small part of Hindu mythology in the game (since the Vizier is Hindu, and a Vaishnav, i.e. a Vishnu worshipper judging by the marking on his forehead). Would have been interesting, IMHO to see that aspect portrayed in the game. I really appreciated the detail they showed in Sands of Time especially with Hindu art in the first level, which I often gazed at in admiration during the journey through the palace, I just wish they could have done more of that in the following games.

>
>
>
>
>
>
End spoilers

In any case, I hope they make a new series of POP games for the Xbox 360 and PS3. They did a pretty good job rejuvenating the series for last gen, and I'm a huge POP fan. I've played all three ORIGINAL titles (though I never finished the third, but I came close). I loved the originals, and I really like most of the (relatively) new series.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
DAVE

Think Indiana Jones, 1 was awesome, 2 was darker and not as good but still very good and 3 was a mix of both first ones, and, IMO, the best. Oh and expect a near-impossible endboss fight in TTT
Old 04-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
Oh and expect a near-impossible endboss fight in TTT
Ha ha ha. Good to know.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #8

Warrior Within is clearly the hardest one (I had so much trouble to defeat the boss enemy) and lacks the atmosphere of the other ones, but the story was to my mind well told. Great series overall, and I would be pleased with the announcement of an successor.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
TM3

The first one was the best and one of the most engrossing games I had ever experienced. It was unlike anything I had ever played and it certainly kicked the crap out of the Tomb Raider games.
The second was mixed feelings for me. There was no reason to get all dark and brooding with it! WTF were the developers thinking. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind blood and gore in my games but the POP series didn't really require that. Fighting was an improvement over the original, though.
Third game was satisfaction! A very nice close to the series and the new gameplay elements did fit in very well with the whole thing.
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
How is the third game compare to the first in your opinion then?
Better, because it basically takes the best things of part one (atmosphere, story) and of part two (combat) and also adds a few new twists. The first one had the edge on innovation though, but I think overall TTT is the best of the three.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #11
Elegantly copy+pasted

The third doesn't quite have the charm of the first one, the story is less elegant, and the setting isn't as interesting. It's a nice enough sequel, though.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
Schättenjager

T2T have ultra cool features like speed kill,if you got the right timing(otherwise you screwed and get bored easily)fights great fun and dozen of combos ,my favourites are wall run moves works like one hit kill,plus unforgettable chariot sequances ...Agree that SOT art was
better but T2T game mechanics so advanced leaves SOT like walk in park.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Citizen of Bizarro World

If any of you have seen 300, I'm wondering how you would compare the integration of heavy metal into that ancient setting to the way it was done in TWW? 'Cause I kinda liked it in the former.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
DAVE

There's barely any heavy metal music in 300, but the one that's there fits.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
There's barely any heavy metal music in 300, but the one that's there fits.
I agree.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #16

I saw 300, decent movie. Not great. The reason that 300 can get away with the heavy metal is because there was no precedent set for using Greek/Persian music. 300 was not a sequel so it could do whatever it wanted and it had no pretensions of being even remotely historically accurate. It just wanted to be a kickass flick in a historical setting.

That's NOT Prince of Persia, which has the ideal of telling a myth/legend/fairytale in a Persian setting. Heavy metal use just broke from the precedent set in the original and it is justifiably criticized for it, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #17
Headbanger

I'm still playing Sands of Time (about 80% through it) but there is use of metal-music in that one as well (and I think that works, but then again I love metal). But I guess there's more in The Warrior Within (that's the game I will play next).
Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
Homer of Kittens

In terms of atmosphere, I would choose SOT as the best of the series. The prince there was spunky, caring for others, and you really wanted him to succeed.
Warrior Within was too childish in execution, with emphasis on showing girls in g-strings and a half ass character spewing out obscenities everywhere he goes. He turned from a caring, spunky protagonist, to one of the immature teen-agers you would encounter on the Gamespot forums. Not to mention the horrible sound track.
The third one was trying to please everyone, and although it was definitely better than the second, it still didn't have the appeal of the first game.

In terms of game play, the second one is again the inferior, because of its concentration on fighting instead of platforming. The third one struck a good balance between the 2, and has the best game mechanics of the series. Including the speed kill was a great decision, because it eliminated the fighting that bogged down WW.

Firefox rules
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
Headbanger

The end of Sands of Time are getting close. This is deffinately one of the strongest lovestories I have seen in a game. I'm impressed.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #20
Headbanger

Finished it, great game. Now it's time for Warrior Within.

Damn, the introduction sequence was incredibly good. Two thumbs up. But this games sure is difficult like many said. I've been defeated a dozen times already by the crowman and that's the first real enemy in the game.

Last edited by Henke; 04-07-2007 at 05:49 PM.