You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What Are The Chances? (Vista Question, Game Related)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #1

Default What Are The Chances? (Vista Question, Game Related)

What are the chances of vista playing all games eventually.Having replaced xp with vista a few games wont work.Therefore im considering going back to xp soon.However thought id ask this question as im wondering how games like still life which refuses to run properly.And unless the game makers release patches which i dont think there gunna with this title us vista users are stuck with a unplayable game
Old 04-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

I don't think there will ever be a time when you can play all games. If it's up to Microsoft we al are gonna be playing Halo 2
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 04-14-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Does any of this help you with Still Life?

My personal experience of Vista is that the vast majority of stuff that I throw at it runs either without a problem or in compatibility mode. That said, anything that won't work full stop is unlikely to start working soon, unless patches get released. I'm still waiting on Ankh...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:20 AM   #4

Yeah ive seen and replied on there already.The biggest annoyance is the fact games like Still Life,Ankh arnt even that old.I can understand old games made in 1995 not working.But not games from 2003/04.05/06 also.Ive gone back to xp a few times but i always end up puttin vista back on.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathall1 View Post
Ive gone back to xp a few times but i always end up puttin vista back on.
Vista is more addictive than cocaine, it should be pulled off the market
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Mayboy

I now have two HD's, one containing Vista the other XP, so that is an option for someone who feels they can't decide.

Last edited by Mayboy; 04-19-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
eXo

Vista will never support all games XP does out of the box. Although eventually some type of 16-bit pc emulator may be released.

Only the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista have the NTVDM and can run true DOS programs. This is actually a limitation of x64 and not Windows. Once the CPU is in 64-bit mode, 16-bit code cannot be executed. This also causes problems for 16-bit Windows programs, including some setup program bootstraps.

Now, even with the 32-bit versions of Vista, there will be problems running DOS programs. This is due to the new WDDM (Windows Driver Display Model), which no longer supports int 10h (!) This means only well-behaved text-mode DOS programs will run. No graphics whatsoever. Also, it is not possible to make console windows full screen, for whatever reason.

Just as XP neevr ran every game w98 could (KQ6CCD anyone?), Vista will never run every game XP could.

So either get a dual boot OS, an second PC just for XP, or get to know your emulation software.