View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
neovsmatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
Alot of people complained that part 2 was buggy and did not like the soundtrack (Godsmack is featured prominently). Personally I never ran into any bugs and I enjoyed the music and the dark atmosphere.

The third one adds control of a dark prince whose life depletes constantly, thus making his levels a focus of perfection and timing. It can be frustrating, but highly rewarded when you get through a hard section.

Maybe its just because I was really bored at the time part 2 came out, but my fondest memories are of that one. The Dahaka was a pretty cool adversary (not to mention the final fight in the third game was a cheap ass mess of retardedness).
Godsmack just didn't belong in the second part whether you like the music or not. It just didn't fit with the atmosphere, and IMHO it was what really brought the second part down in my eyes. I don't mind the dark atmosphere, I do mind how poorly integrated it was (mainly because of the music!). They could have added Persian music that was moody and ethereal, but instead they went with Godsmack, which was a horrible decision.

And I agree about the last boss in the third game. In the Two Thrones, the plot had a nice concept but the villain was just too cartoonish to take seriously, and a perversion of what came before.

Spoilers for Two Thrones:

>
>
>
>
>
>
Turning the Vizier into a scarab-human hybrid was another horrible decision. They could have done so much with representing even a small part of Hindu mythology in the game (since the Vizier is Hindu, and a Vaishnav, i.e. a Vishnu worshipper judging by the marking on his forehead). Would have been interesting, IMHO to see that aspect portrayed in the game. I really appreciated the detail they showed in Sands of Time especially with Hindu art in the first level, which I often gazed at in admiration during the journey through the palace, I just wish they could have done more of that in the following games.

>
>
>
>
>
>
End spoilers

In any case, I hope they make a new series of POP games for the Xbox 360 and PS3. They did a pretty good job rejuvenating the series for last gen, and I'm a huge POP fan. I've played all three ORIGINAL titles (though I never finished the third, but I came close). I loved the originals, and I really like most of the (relatively) new series.