You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your First Encounter With Social Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
Banned User

Default Your First Encounter With Social Gaming

Can you remember it?

Mine was Marathon on old apple computers over a lan. My first internet social gaming experience was Command and Conquer over a 56K modem with a schoolmate. Good timesssssssss.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I remember not being allowed to play games online until my parents got unmetred internet access, after which the first game I played online was Unreal Tournament.

I did, however, have two networked computers at home. I remember playing Age of Empires and Diablo, and there was probably other stuff that has since slipped my mind.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
gin soaked boy

Multiplayer in the arcades, probably Golden Axe or something like that.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

On PC it was Command & Conquer: Red Alert against my friend, a classic dial up modem one vs. one match. Man, he totally destroyed me in that game.

Earlier there was loads of games at the arcades.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Squeaky

Double Dragon at the arcades - I remember a group of kids laughing at me because I sucked ass. If they only knew how leet I'd be one day....

First LAN game was either Worms or Puyo Puyo in the Physics labs at uni - ah, good times.

First online multiplayer experience was HL2: Deathmatch (not sure why I put off internet gaming for so long).
Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #6

It may have been with a MMORPG that Sierra made. I don't remember the name of it, but you walked around like in a 2D adventure game, fought monsters, and bought items.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #7

In the arcades, probably Double Dragon or Bubble Bobble. Otherwise, on-line it was likely Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I watched my cousins play the original NES Mario when I was about three. I vaguely remember making one of them lose by trying to grab the controller and play with it.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Warcraft 2 on a dial-up. I think I played quite a few games in the two hours or so I was allowed to tie up the phone line for. (I lost every one.) I enjoyed the experience a lot, but not so much that I ever played an RTS online again. Generally speaking, I prefer single-player.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

What's 'social gaming'? I imagined it to mean any form of multiplayer gaming - or hanging around at the arcades - but seeing as most responses are talking about hardcore LAN and dialup action, I'm not so sure...

Or did you really go to the trouble of hooking up your computers before playing against a friend? Confuse, and also, boggle.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Warcraft 2 on a dial-up. I think I played quite a few games in the two hours or so I was allowed to tie up the phone line for. (I lost every one.) I enjoyed the experience a lot, but not so much that I ever played an RTS online again. Generally speaking, I prefer single-player.
Same here. My first experience with multiplayer gaming came from playing my friend in a Warcraft 2 modem game back in elementary school. But that was still one-on-one, however soon afterwards I started playing MUDs using Tinkeri View. I guess that could be the true first instance of 'social gaming' for me.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #12

Warcraft I Modem-Modem connection
Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
I've come for the fork!

Hmm, the earliest of course would be arcades. PC-wise, a friend and I used to play Jagged Allianceeadly Games over our 28.8k connections. And Warcraft II.
My first PC game I played online with people I didn't know would have to be Quake. I remember massive lag, and hardly ever being able to kill anyone, but loving it anyway.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Banned User

I've never played a warcraft game.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
gin soaked boy

I think my first online experience was Descent, I simply loved that game. Then there was Doom 2 and a couple of games I played over the LAN (Red Alert and HoMM2, I believe).
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM   #16
Homer of Kittens

Street Fighter 2 in the arcades. We used to sneak out from school, and wait in line to try to beat whoever is hogging the machine.

Firefox rules
Old 08-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #17
Banned User

I was never into Street Fighter, but one day when I was in a snack bar there was a machine, so I figured ok, i'll try it. I planned on playing the computer but then some guy walked up to up, stuck his quarters in without even asking, and started to fight me! Anyway, long story short, I kicked his ass and he got REALLY pissed off and stormed away swearing.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Well, I still don't really know what this thread really means, but depending which of the many definitions used above I decide to go for, it was either...

Looming over someone while they played through Robocop at the arcades. Although I was about six so I achieved this by standing on a staircase, natch.

Playing North and South on the NES.

Playing Stunt Car Racer on two linked Amigas.

Or Quake over dialup. Not QuakeWorld, which was actually intended for internet play, but Quake. Lag occurred.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #19

Something on a school Macintosh network. Net Trek, or something along those lines. These were black and white compact Macs. Choose one of three types of ships from Star Trek, and fight it out from a top-down view.

There was also a message bar at the bottom of the screen so we could type insults to each other. It was an easy way of getting yourself killed, as you can't move, fire, and type all at once, but it was quite engaging to, well, type messages to people sitting in the same room as you. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was great fun at the time.

Also you never could quite tell who was working, and who was quietly fighting you. Figuring out who it was by typing in something funny to provoke a laugh was a small game in and of itself.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

I think it was at school, playing the descent demo over LAN. I pretty much ruled that game, but that had more to do with how bad the others were. And then somebody became as good as i was, must have been practicing at home or something. God that was fun.