You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil, in what language was the game originally developed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Beyond Good & Evil, in what language was the game originally developed?

Beyond Good & Evil is a french game, but it seems like the original language was english (I think that because mainly, all the demos were in english and the game first came out in the US)

But still that just shows the marketing intent, but it doesn't mean that the game original language wasn't originally developped in french?

Does anyone know what is the original language?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I don't have a source, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. But I remember hearing that Ancel himself had overseen the English version of the game, and not the French one, so that is the original language.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't have a source, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. But I remember hearing that Ancel himself had overseen the English version of the game, and not the French one, so that is the original language.
Ancel? Who's that?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #4

Michel Ancel, the creator.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #5

Oh great then... too bad I need to take that with a grain of salt. Thanks though.

Anyone is 100% positive about that?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 AM   #6
Banned User

I'm 100% positive that it's French.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I'm 100% positive that it's French.
Hum by that you mean it's a french game? Or you mean the game's orginally language is in french?

Ok, hum... who should I trust? lol

Think I should email Ubisoft? Or I guess they just won't know?

And that's the European version uses Starforce?

Last edited by Arma; 08-10-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
Banned User

Well I don't get what you mean by original language. It was released in multiple languages like most games. I guess you can find out where the game first went on sale. Like, if it launched in the US or whatever first.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:02 AM   #9

I think he means, what version did they work on first? You don't translate the game while developing it, that happens later on.

But I have no idea if it was originally developed in French or English.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Well I don't get what you mean by original language. It was released in multiple languages like most games. I guess you can find out where the game first went on sale. Like, if it launched in the US or whatever first.
Well for example, let's say you tell me that you watched Silent Hill yesterday in french. Obviously the original language of that movie is english, I tend to prefer to watch movies and play games in their original languages.

I know it has been released in lots of different languages, but there is only one language that the game has been intendended to be developped. For example you can clearly see the lips of the main character, moving properly and not just opening her mouth. That is a sign that the game was developped in only one proper language originally, know what I mean?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo
I think he means, what version did they work on first? You don't translate the game while developing it, that happens later on.

But I have no idea if it was originally developed in French or English.
Thanks for clearing it up , know anyway I could find it out?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #12
Banned User

Voices not matching mouths isn't just a sign of dubbing, it can also be poor animation. The only time a game has an official language is when it's only released in one area for good, or for a certain amount of time, where it is then released in other countries dubbed. The only time a game has an "original language" is when either of those two things occur. Otherwise, they don't.

I'm not sure how game developers do it, but I guess you can call this an educated guess. They either do one motion cap for mouths for their language and dubb it for others, or they do seperate motion caps for each language.

Assuming BG&E had an original language, I can only guess that they did it in their language, which would be French.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Voices not matching mouths isn't just a sign of dubbing, it can also be poor animation. The only time a game has an official language is when it's only released in one area for good, or for a certain amount of time, where it is then released in other countries dubbed. The only time a game has an "original language" is when either of those two things occur. Otherwise, they don't.

I'm not sure how game developers do it, but I guess you can call this an educated guess. They either do one motion cap for mouths for their language and dubb it for others, or they do seperate motion caps for each language.

Assuming BG&E had an original language, I can only guess that they did it in their language, which would be French.
Yeah in the demo of Beyond Good & Evil I did noticed some words didn't quite match, the time when the main character was opening her mouth. I'll try the french version and see how it turns out.

But original version doesn't mean quality, as an example Still Life (another french game) I compared in the demos (both french and english version). And I need to say the english version is 10x better then the french version (which I guess was the original one).
Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
Not like them!

It is a French game, but the English audio is exceptional. Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:
Quote:
The North American version of the game features English, French, and Spanish versions. The European version, reflecting the continent's linguistic diversity, had versions in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch, each fully dubbed in the target language.

It is unclear what the "original" language of the game is, although it is most likely that it would be French, given that the game was written and designed by French designers in France. This is one of the few games available on the market that gives practically no clues as to the native language, as everything is localised, including signs.
It seems that what I had thought was wrong- I don't see any indication that Ancel oversaw the English version.

It also seems that just as much effort went into each localization, so I say go with whatever language you're most comfortable with.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
It is a French game, but the English audio is exceptional. Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

It seems that what I had thought was wrong- I don't see any indication that Ancel oversaw the English version.

It also seems that just as much effort went into each localization, so I say go with whatever language you're most comfortable with.
Thanks, that's some very usefull information. Does the European version uses any protection program? What about the US version?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

As far as I'm aware both use CD checks (and maybe SecureROM), but neither uses StarForce. if that's what you're trying to discover.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
As far as I'm aware both use CD checks (and maybe SecureROM), but neither uses StarForce. if that's what you're trying to discover.
It uses Tages, but do you know if the digital download at: http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp...ogid=189&id=89 uses any copy protection?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 PM   #18
Not like them!

I have no idea- I played the Gamecube version.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #19
A Servicable Villain

Wasn't the Propaganda song French? In any case, it's a title that's as French as can be. In fact, I played it in French because it suited the game best. Though I hear the localisations were quite good.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 AM   #20
kamikaze hummingbirds

if you dont mind me asking, why do you need to know?