You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default PS3 revealed

PS3 revealed.

1- Controller that can detect altitude
2- hard drive built in
3- 2 price points 499.99 for 20 GB and 599.99 for 60 GB
4- Some kind of live support where you can buy music, play games etc...
5- show cased various games on the platform.

Start lovin' or hatin'....

Firefox rules
Old 05-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
3- 2 price points 499.99 for 20 GB and 599.99 for 60 GB
Oh, F*** THAT!!! They are NEVER getting my money for several years, when that damn box finally drops to under $300!!

I'm not desperate. Nor am I rich. I'm already breaking my bank when I'll invest in an Xbox360 in a month or so. I mean, the games already cost fricking $60 each.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Love it. The controller looks like an improvement over the Wii's to me, not having to hold a remote control in one hand and a joystick in the other for that nun-chuck effect (although it remains to be seen how it plays with FPS games). And it doesn't rely on external sensors, so that's one less thing to worry about setting up. I don't care if people say Sony is stealing Nintendo's ideas. This is the next generation of gaming and I would expect all of the major console companies to have this kind of technology. Just because Nintendo came up with it first doesn't mean crap to me. I'll probably end up getting both the Wii and the PS3 and skip out on the 360 because at this point, it's not as next-gen in terms of gameplay anymore. To me, it's just a graphics machine (although it's got some great exclusive games, which is the only reason I would go for it).

I have to wonder, though, if an extra 40 GB is actually worth another $100. They're going to have to offer some extra goodies to convince me to go for the $600 version.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Grah! Grah!

Can the PS3 controller detect its position, like the rev's or just the tilt? Because that's how it's sounding to me...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #5

I didn't actually watch the conference, so I don't know exact details, but the PS3 controller will not have anywhere near the level of motion detection the Wii controller will. Something about only 6 degrees of sensitivity. Apparently the guy demoing the controller was playing a flight sim or something, and he not only couldn't aim for crap, but he ended up crashing instead of landing the plane. It's funny how they talk about not being scared of gimmicks, then decide to copy Nintendo on their own controller.

Overall review sounded like the conference was really bad for Sony.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroeski
Overall review sounded like the conference was really bad for Sony.
Well, seems like the very high price tag helps contribute.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
SamNMax

A little off-topic but God DAMN, does anybody else think GT HD looks incredibly lame?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
merely human

Links to screenshots, please?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
SamNMax

Uh, somebody get on that. I can't be bothered.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
A little off-topic but God DAMN, does anybody else think GT HD looks incredibly lame?
It looked a little blurry to me on my computer, but I think that was because I made the video play at fullscreen. I'm not a fan of racing games, though, and they all look alike to me anyway. It definitely didn't seem like an improvement over the GT4.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
merely human

Quote:
Uh, somebody get on that. I can't be bothered.

Neither can I if you don't provide links.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
It looked a little blurry to me on my computer, but I think that was because I made the video play at fullscreen.
It's not that it's blurry, it's that it looks the excact same, if not worse than PGR3.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of racing games, though, and they all look alike to me anyway.
Yeah, but come on. This is GT HD!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Okay my turn 499 is expensive to me, just like 400 was for the 360. Guess I'll be waiting on both consoles till they drop in price and let the guinnea pigs smooth all the bugs out. Games are alright, a little too much shooting for my liking. That Afrika game though looks really beautiful, but they didn't show any gameplay footage. I want to see what Clover Head Studios and the ICO guys develop for this system. Still the Wii to go tomorrow.

Did anyone see the trailer of Assassin's Creed by the creators of Prince of Persia. That game looks sweet.

Firefox rules
Old 05-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #14
Grah! Grah!

That whole "creators of Prince of Persia" thing irritates me. Unless Jordan Mechner is involved (which I'm pretty sure he's not), in which case, awesome! I, too look forward to seeing what Fumito Ueda and co will do with the PS3, seeing as they're pretty much the only reason for me having a PS2.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #15

Man, if the Wii comes out at $200 like many people predict, that means you can get an XBox 360 Premium AND a Wii for the same price as the PS3 premium. Of course, that's assuming the Wii is $200, but it's also assuming that the 360 doesn't drop in price by then. I think Microsoft could deliver a pretty crushing blow to Sony if they drop their price for the holiday season.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #16

Hmm, $200 more than I was planning. Oh well. I'll just have to save some more--no big worry. Now if there would only be Blu-Ray content that I actually care about!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #17
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Yeah, but come on. This is GT HD!
Ah, here are IGN's screenshots of the game (the bottom four are from 2005). You be the judge.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/713/713809/imgs_1.html

They certainly don't look blurry (like I said, I was playing a tiny video resolution at fullscreen). But really, I don't know how these compare to other racing games. They probably look better whizzing by at high speeds.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
is not wierd

Damn that's expensive...

I'm being pushed closer and closer to Microsoft.

I'n still very on the fence with the Wii.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #19
gin soaked boy

Well, nothing unexpected, except maybe motion sensing, but it seems like a half-arsed implementation, just to put Wii down. We'll see how it works. And the price is even higher than I expected. They'll drop it after the launch, of course, but it's still too high, especially considering the games don't look that hot. And that's my biggest disappointment with the whole thing, where are the games?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #20
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
Can the PS3 controller detect its position, like the rev's or just the tilt? Because that's how it's sounding to me...
You've got it straight. No position detection. It'll actually be pretty primitive; they're just putting it there so that people like artwking4 won't see the difference and will see Wii as redundant. I must say, it's a good tactic.