You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Jade Empire's for PC after all!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX
Default Jade Empire's for PC after all!

Yaaaay!

Better late than never I guess.
If this was posted elsewhere, I'm gonna personally kill our Search button
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodsie
Yaaaay!
I've known that news for a couple days now. It's a bit redundant but it's good they're going multiplatform. The best way to play it is with a gamepad.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Grumpy & bitter man

I'm sure they'll redesign controls to fit keyboard/mouse combo, if they don't.... I got my Logitech Rumblepad2 ready and willing to take up the challlenge.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

It was posted here in the RPG thread which is why it didn't show up on a search.

Hobbes thought he'd sneak that bit of news in.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Grumpy & bitter man

I'll leave it anyway... it deserves it's own thread.

Spoiler:
Yes, it's because I started it
Old 05-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Hobbes thought he'd sneak that bit of news in.

You snooze, you lose
Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's a bit redundant but it's good they're going multiplatform.
So it's not redundant for those of us without an Xbox . Certainly, I'm looking forward to actually being able to play the damn thing .
Quote:
The best way to play it is with a gamepad.
I believe that they're planning on offering multiple control setups for the PC version, so that it can be played with keyboard and mouse or gamepad. Given that I have both options I should be able to play it with whichever turns out to be the best.

Colour me happy .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
is not wierd

I can't wait for it to come out for PC. And I can't wait till BioWare inevitably announces Mass Effect will come to PC (probably going to be Vista exclusive, though). I'm almost seeing the MMORPG somehow being related to Mass Effect. From the impressions I've read, it seems there's a ton of exploration to be done, so it wouldn't surprise me if they've used the same galaxy for the MMO that'll be available for both 360 live and the PC at the same time using that Vista-360Live thing Gates was talking about.... Just a theory.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 AM   #9

WOOOT!!

Even though my son has an xbox, I was damned determined not to buy it until a PC version was available. Now my bioware collection will be complete. Well, until they bring out mass effect for the 360 =(
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #10

Bioware's not porting it.
LTI Gray Matter is.

The 11-min video tells a lot more than what is quoted below.

--They mentioned the requirements won't be too high b/c they want many PC's to run this.... (I wonder what they consider for "not too high" requirements...)
--The AI has been overhauled.
--Game will support PC KB/mouse and gamepads.
--They want to put it out by end of this year, 2006.

Link:
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.h...729&pid=932971

Quote:
E3 06: Jade Empire PC Impressions
We take an up-close look at the PC version of BioWare's martial arts-inspired action role-playing game at E3 2006.
By Andrew Park, GameSpot
Posted May 11, 2006 12:09 pm PT

LOS ANGELES--If there's anything that embodies the spirit of the Electronic Entertainment Expo more than a private press demonstration of the PC version of BioWare's Jade Empire, we don't want to hear about it. No, seriously. Save it. The PC version of the game will not be published by Microsoft Game Studios (in fact, BioWare is currently seeking a publishing partner now)--a development that, according to designer Kevin Martens, gives the studio much more freedom (and adequate time) to polish the PC game until it shines. The Xbox game is being ported to the PC by LTI Gray Matter, a development house that has handled several console ports for Activision.
Okie dokie.

Quote:
The primary differences between the PC version of Jade Empire and the Xbox version will be in the control scheme, new fighting styles and weapons, and graphical enhancements that will take advantage of new PC hardware, such as enhanced bloom effects and more use of dynamic lighting. We saw a few different environments, such as the village at the beginning of the game, as well as several of the temple areas later on, and noticed a marked improvement in lighting and texture detail over the Xbox version.
Niceeeeeeeeee!!!

Quote:
The control scheme apparently uses the standard PC first-person shooter setup, using the W, A, S, and D keys to move (and the Q and E keys to activate mystical "ki" powers and healing options) and the mouse to swap between different fighting styles and to deliver attacks to your enemies.
Sounds good.

Quote:
The PC version of the game will include several new fighting styles, such as Iron Palm (a fighting style inspired by Sumo wrestling) and Viper Style (a fighting style inspired by the 1978 cinematic classic The Five Venoms).
Sounds cool to me.

Quote:
The game will also feature several high-end exclusive weapons that advanced players will probably make good use of in the game's enhanced higher-difficulty modes. Apparently, the game's "easy" setting will remain about the same as in the Xbox version, while "normal" difficulty will be slightly tougher and "hard" difficulty will be much tougher. According to Martens, this is more or less what BioWare's fan community requested.
Nice!!!

Especially if the game is replayable, jacking the diffuculty up when going for another go-around sounds good to me!

Quote:
BioWare hopes to complete development on Jade Empire for the PC later this year, though again, no publisher has been announced at this time.
I wonder who will publish....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
delusions of adequacy

I expect some of the "new" fighting styles are actually some that where originally only available to particular enemies. I doubt they went back to the dance studio to do more mo-cap. A lot of fans wondered why some of the more interesting martial styles (including ones matching those descriptions) where not available to the player. I would have loved to use the monkey style that one of the arena champions used.

I personally saw nothing wrong with the original difficulty settings that wouldn't have been fixed by some consistency in how enemies behaved towards the styles you used. I hope they sort this out somewhat in the PC release. Most people who complained that even hard mode was too easy, never finished the whole game with it and certainly skipped the final Arena battles which where practically unbeatable without a *perfect* character build on the hardest difficulty setting. I hope no one is even thinking they can play this adequately with ASDF controls though, that's laughable.

I had hoped to see more varied weapon styles make a return (like hoops/rings style wich was cut) and that you get them earlier on (most weapon styles don't show up till late in the third act).

I wonder if a more liberal publisher means the same sex romances actually get a kiss this time instead of the fade to black *just before*. The straight romances got full animation! - With a PC release a fan will probably fix that just like it was done for the female KOTOR romance (girls get to kiss Carth rather than just verbal sparring).
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
I wonder if a more liberal publisher means the same sex romances actually get a kiss this time instead of the fade to black *just before*. The straight romances got full animation! - With a PC release a fan will probably fix that just like it was done for the female KOTOR romance (girls get to kiss Carth rather than just verbal sparring).
Yeah, that was pretty insultingly f***ing stupid for JE to not be friendly to us gay and lesbian gamers. We need our lovin' too.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien