You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 AM   #561
Psychonaut

Sam and Max 203 : Night of the Raving Dead

My favourite episode of the year so far.

Sam and Max have to fight of an invasion of Zombies. This leads to a hilarious trip to Stuttgart to meat Jurgen the Camp Disco Dancing Vampire.

There is a bt too much running back and forward for my liking in this episode, but the puzzles were fun and the script was funny (Getting the Monster to say "Monte Cristo" ).

8/10
Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #562
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The plot and the characters were great, but I did guess the "Secret" long before the end as the hints were a bit obvious.
I didn't guess it.

I had fun with it too.

Spoiler:
I named the little dog I made Emma (after my dog) I kind of wish you could have made the dog sooner.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #563

Finished The Awakened yesterday (well, actually, it was 3 a.m. ). Great game. The controls were a bit awkward in the beginning but I got used to them pretty quickly and after a while, they felt completely natural and easy. The puzzles are challenging at times, the story is very dark - I still don't understand why the German version is supposed to be suitable for kids aged 12 and up. I'd never allow a 12-year-old kid to play this game; there are mutilated corpses, lots of blood, beheadings... nothing you'd want to expose a kid to. Although the story is very dark and gruesome at points, it never reaches true scaryness - I must admit I was grateful for that, having just completed Scratches two weeks ago. Being a huge Lovecraft fan, I obviously enjoyed the Lovecraftian theme of the story; one of the highlights (for me) definitely included finding a huge statue of good old Cthulhu The music was excellent as well and contributed to the brooding atmosphere of the game; sounds and noises were picked to suit every location. Delightful.

I especially enjoyed the graphics; they were beautifully detailled, and you have a measurement of freedom to explore the various sites that I've so far encountered in a FPS but not in an adventure. Holmes is very british and can be really cold at times; he's not caring much for others, he's too absorbed in solving all kinds of mysteries. I kept wondering how Watson is able to put up with this... The characters were, overall, believeable, the German voiceover was done perfectly even though at times the spoken word was kind of swallowed by my computer - hadn't it been for subtitles, I'd have missed some dialogue in the second half of the game. Other than that (and some very weird stuff going on with the controls whilst on that island in the swamp), the game worked fine on my computer. I had two crashes, I think; nothing to be mad about. The game is pretty long as well; it took me about a week to complete it, all in all I think I played for about 20 hours or more. 9/10
Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #564
handsome

The Longest Journey

Finished last night for the first time.
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
(...)with old-style graphics, the detail of the dialogue, the depth and freshness of the story line, and the pure charisma of its characters simply ooze out of this game.
...true. It’s quite an amazing game indeed but it suffers from some predictable moments
Spoiler:
for example Cortez being a Draic Kin

and some stupid\lame puzzles
Spoiler:
like needing a paint shaker to shake a soda can

Graphics are nice, the voice acting is above par and the music is wonderful. The game is long enough, although I think the 4th CD (last one) is rather short imo.

The game had its moments

Spoiler:
reading in the library, Tobias telling the amazing story about the two worlds…
…also liked when April accidentally sinks the ship (but the moment was ruined when Crow says that everyone managed to survive), and so on..

I’ll give it an 8, maybe 8.5. TLJ is an amazing game with some flaws (puzzles and story), and that’s it .
Maybe in a few months i'll buy Dreamfall..

EDIT: Oh .. and love the Book of Secrets

Last edited by TiAgUh; 03-21-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #565
Staff Member

Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth. Good FPS/Adventure hybrid, but I got stuck halfway through and only returned to it when another game reminded me of it.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #566
In an evening of July...

World in Conflict
Great game, I had a blast. Very fast combat, GC2 style gameplay plus a story with awesome cutscenes that put most war FPS to shame wins World in Conflict an
8/10.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Despite all the negative PR the game got in the last few months it is actually quite enjoyable, but both endings are somewhat unsatisfying. The characters are great, though, the whole game resembled Max Payne (because of the strong drama around the protagonist... or that white-dot-cursor, I can't decide).
6/10 (which is not bad at all on my personal scale I just invented)
Old 03-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #567
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

The endings were the only bad part of Kane & Lynch, in my opinion. And they really sucked.

I've just finished:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

I'm not sure if it was as steadily creepy throughout as the first one, but the story was really good, and the characters were also greatly improved. 8.5/10.

Half-life 2, HL2 Ep. 1 & 2

Wow. Anyone who likes games of any genre should play these games immediately. The story, narrative, characterizations, presentation, writing, and well, everything, is simply incredible. Who says games can't be art? 10/10
Old 03-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #568
Psychonaut

Sam & Max 204 - Chariots of the Dogs

ROFLMAO.

The best episode of Sam and Max so far. They will have to go a looooong way to top this in the final episode of season 2.

"Lets blow this joint and go pick up some primo ***** *** tail, bro"

9/10

My only criticism and it applies to most of the episodes is that I wish that they actually did something with Max rather than him just wander aimlessly around while you solve everything. Yes the hint system is cool and he has all the witty lines in the cutscenes, but I want him to be more involved in the puzzles.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #569
Old Adventure Gamer

Nibiru Age Of Secrets

Just finished this one today and all in all I enjoyed it. The plot kept me interested, the puzzles were logical (although I did have trouble with one in particular....if you've played it, you probably know which one I'm talking about.)

I would give it a 7/10.

On a side note, I've noticed I seem to enjoy 3rd person games more than 1st person....probably because it's easier to "see" without having to keep turning around and around as in a 1st person perspective, if that makes any sense.

Now, to find something to play next....

Thanks,

Tony.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
My only criticism and it applies to most of the episodes is that I wish that they actually did something with Max rather than him just wander aimlessly around while you solve everything. Yes the hint system is cool and he has all the witty lines in the cutscenes, but I want him to be more involved in the puzzles.
I agree with that. Gameplaywise, Max seems to be of no relevance.
Why aren't there puzzles where you have to get both of them involved? Like, Max distracts someone while you take an item away?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #571

Send a message via ICQ to Urquhart Send a message via AIM to Urquhart Send a message via MSN to Urquhart Send a message via Yahoo to Urquhart

I've just finished playing Kingpin: Life of Crime. I bought it years ago and only just installed and played. Bit of time killing, and a bit of gore. It's like Soldier of Fortune with less story.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #572
gin soaked boy

Global Defence Force

Well, I finished the soldier campaign on normal, I've played only several Pale Wing missions so far. Crazy intense fun. Too intense at times, actually, and PS2 can't quite handle it so the frame rate may occasionally drop down to approximately one frame per second. Can't wait to play the Xbox 360 version.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #573
Backsliding Pagan

Default The Lost Crown

The Lost Crown

I loved this game. Plenty of atmosphere and intriguing plot. It stumbled in some areas--much of the voice-acting was not great, and the dialogue was sometimes clunky. The repetitive phrases were vaguely annoying, and I didn't like that I couldn't click through conversations that I'd already heard. I also thought the player was introduced to the story rather clumsily, and that the conclusion was equally bumpy.
However--I was riveted despite the shortcomings; I played this game every time I got the chance, and for as long as possible each time. I really enjoyed using the paranormal detection equipment, and found the ghosts creepy, though mostly tragic. The graphics were appropriate, and the music and other sounds were also lovely.

I give it an 8.5 out of 10.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #574
handsome

Sherlock Holmes: Silver Earring

For the first time in many years I had to search for the solution of a puzzle, ..
Spoiler:
the code of Sir Bromsby's safe

.. Sooo easy! How could I .. .. .. oh well.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,413/p,1 - Great review, I agree with everything.

The Final Quiz:
Spoiler:
I knew Collins and Herrington were guilty but never thought Miss Davenport could actually be dead. Jeffries was quite a nice surprise (I knew he would be important in some way) ..oh and the Gimble-Bromsby-Waters "conflict" was also cool.

For those who played the game, could you please explain me something? :
Spoiler:
where did Sherlock\Watson got that knife from (Inventory)? I cant seem to remember..

Wiggins' voice is amazing!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #575

Dark Fall

I managed to complete all the puzzles that the game threw at me! I only had to resort to the walkthrough for the stupidest things!

Spoiler:
Extra screens such as getting through the fence and getting to the suitcase in the attic. Even when consulting the walkthrough I found it hard to place the cursor on the right spot!

I'm always disappointed in myself when I look at a walkthrough...

QFG was right though! I really did enjoy this game! I agree with him in that it's more enjoyable when you have a stack of paper for taking notes - just like when playing Myst.

Did anyone else
Spoiler:
complete the puzzle where you have to decode a letter by just working out individual words? I didn't realise until after completing the puzzle that it was simply A=Z, B=Y, etc. It was still fun working it out the hard way though! The 'clue' had really thrown me off!

Oh, and does the slot maching actually have reference to anything in the game???

The voice-acting seemed to suit the tone of the game too!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #576

Finished Lost: Via Domus last night and won't go into much detail.
On the plus side: nice graphics, excellent sound, interaction with characters from the show
On the minus side: boring gameplay, stupid puzzles, annoying action sequences, nasty main character, characters from the show lack personality, story has its good moments but is too predictable in some respect, technical issues despite computer meeting basic requirements
5/10 and that's just because it does have some strengths.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #577
Master of time and space

Resident Evil (Enhanced Gamecube remake)

Probably the most graphically impressive last generation console game I've played (with the exception of Okami). It's almost like playing a game on the XBOX 360, only with slightly lower resolution.

The game made a good job of making me play it with the lights on and for once in a Resident Evil game (I've only played Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4) the puzzles almost made sense and fit into context within the game.

If it wasn't for the lousy control scheme, limiting save system (there are a limited number of saves allowed) and annoying item handling (You can only carry eight objects at the same time no matter the size of the object) I'd consider this game a perfect ten.

All three annoyances have been addressed in Resident Evil 4, but where the original Resident Evil plays out like a third person survival horror game where even the most basic zombie gives you the creep; Resident Evil 4 had more in common with Gears of War and zombie lives comes cheap accordingly. I for one prefer the setting and atmosphere of Resident Evil compared to Resident Evil 4.

8/10
Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #578
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Army of Two. The first few missions felt pretty disconnected, and didn't really flow smoothly into a good gameplay experience. Towards the end, the game started getting interesting. The game has a lot of faults, but it's a pretty fun game. And the graphics are absolutely incredible, almost photo-realistic. Coming off of the Half-life 2 games, I thought the story and narrative fell flat, though. 6.5/10
Old 04-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #579
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Super Paper Mario
This has gotta be one of the quirkiest games I've ever played: a postmodernist 2D/3D RPG-platformer hybrid. But in addition to all that, it's a Mario game, and it has to live up to the legacy of past Mario games. That's a problem. The platforming isn't on the same level as Super Mario Galaxy, and the story isn't on the same level as Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. The platforming is decent though unremarkable, and the story is mildly amusing though clichéd. The game tries to make up for this blandness by sprinkling the entire game with generous servings of genuine cleverness. This game has some of the most outrageously bizarre design decisions I've ever seen. And as far as those go, this is very worthwhile.
3/5
Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #580

I've just replayed Fahrenheit for the first time since 2005 and I still love it. It's a very immersive, atmospheric experience. Although the last part of the game isn't as good as the rest it's still great! It's a pity Heavy Rain is PS3 exclusive.