You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #761

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
I've only played a bit (friends house) and it wasn't scary at all imo, you people are just weak .
There are definitely jumps that you do not see coming and those will get you. Beyond that, it's not as scary/creepy as games like Fatal Frame, Silent Hill 2 or Condemned.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #762

Penumbra Requiem
I have played each of the penumbra games which is a budget FPS/Adventure horror-game hybrid.

The demo prequel was enjoyable and back then a trilogy was promised. Chapter 1: Overture was a real treat but the combat was really annoying, I loved the lovecraftian story and the chapter ended in a cliffhanger that made me want more. Chapter 2: Black Plague was better than Overture much thanks to removing the combat sequences (which really didn't work out well), however, Black Plague seemed to finish the trilogy with very little left to tell. I knew there would be a trilogy, but there seemed no room for Chapter 3: Requiem. After playing it, it feels like the developers felt the same, but they simply had to make a 3rd game even if it made sense or not.

While Chapter 1 & 2 presents a story as you progress through old mines and science facilities that mostly made sense, Chapter 3 reminds me about Portal in being almost a pure puzzlegame. You progress through actual levels where in each level you must find a few specific keys that open a portal that you must go through. The story takes a backseat and very little of it makes sense. There was even some silliness coming about, such as one stage with a 3d rendition of Donkey Kong. Then it all ends in 2 endings (good/bad one), and I found neither of them satisfying.

Black Plague was really creepy, but Requiem isn't at all. It also uses nearly nothing of it's engine as you never encounter any monsters, you have no need for batteries, you never use your inventory even if it's still there.

Requiem, while chapter 3, isn't really a standalone game either, but an expansion for Chapter 2: Black Plague, and it was produced in a much shorter time than the previous two chapters, which might explain why the game turned out the way it did.

Needless to say, I am somewhat disappointed, but I would love to see another game from the same developer.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #763
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Just today I really finished Art Style: Rotohex. I didn't think I could, but I just kept working at it and kept getting better and better and better until I beat the 8-color Sprint mode. It took me so many hours (I was really addicted.) that now I see rotating hexagons every time I close my eyes. Good game.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #764

Call of Duty: World at war
This is a definite take on World War II, primarily focusing on the conflict between the United States and the Japan, as well as the Russia vs the Germans. In Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare I was amazed on how diversive the levels were and how you could never see what was coming next. CoD5 was not equally surprising. It is a step down from CoD4 but still a good game, especially for WW2 fans. I really liked to take the role of the russians for once. There were some really beautiful levels to play and some unforgetable scenes. I finished although the entire game in one sitting, so it's not a long one, but I did play it on Novice so the game was maybe a bit too easy. Running and using melee attack seemed to go faster than trying shoot stuff.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #765

Ankh - Heart of Osiris
Ankh is a comedy adventure game in the same flavor as the Monkey Island series, except this one is set in ancient egypt. Heart of Osiris is the second game of the series and yet again it's absolutely hillarious. It doesn't take anything seriously and it poke fun of itself, it's own developers, the player, familiar game themes and pretty much everything under Ra. Uhm, the sun that is. I would love to check out the third game in the series, but it's not available in English yet. There's also a fourth game but it's only available to Nintendo DS. I might have to wait for the third game now.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #766
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
There's also a fourth game but it's only available to Nintendo DS.
The DS game is a port of the original Ankh, rather than an actual new title.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #767
Master of time and space

Mirror's Edge

I'm halfway through chapter 5 now and I don't think I'll be finishing it. While the game is really pretty to look at and have some of the most intuitive controls I've experienced in a First Person game, it is to say the least... repetitive. I'm going sell this one off as soon as possible. My grade based on what I've played so far.

Mediocre. 5 / 10
Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #768

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Oh, I loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadows of Chernobyl. It was a free-roaming game with superb graphics and atmosphere that is one of those games I just keep on playing due to the tremendous immersion, including watching the beautiful virtual sunrise... RPG style mechanics, horror themes and one of the better twists in gaming history... what's there not to like? Well, bugs probably. But Shadows of Chernobyl was an excellent game.

Then we have Clear Sky. The "prequel". Let me begin with what's new. Faction mechanics that have little impact on the game and then you must discover your own artifacts by using a tracker. Well, that's about it. And well, the story, which wasn't interesting, had no major twists etc. Clear Sky also have 3 new maps, including the Swamp in which you begin the game. And that's pretty much it, the rest of Clear Sky is reused maps, textures and content from the first game. So much in fact, that I kept feeling I was replaying Shadows of Chernobyl. The game is littered with bugs, including crashing everytime I quickloaded when dead and tons of quests that simply couldn't be fulfilled. It's also one of the most challenging games I played in a long time, due to a designer decision to not allow you to access any stores or previous areas after a certain point in the plot. That means that unless you have stacked up on healthpacks, a huge amount of money and ammunition, you will simply run out and your armor will be trash, making the game almost impossible. All in all, Clear Sky is a game for those who truly loved Shadows of Chernobyl and want more, even if that means replaying most of the original game with a weak plot. If they ever make a S.T.A.L.K.E.R 3, I would prefer if they come up with a new game. Granted, it took ages for them to develop the original one, and it shows, because the game have some of the most beautiful maps ever made in a computer game.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
The DS game is a port of the original Ankh, rather than an actual new title.
Good to know. One less game to play. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #770
Psychonaut

Tomb Raider: Underworld

The 8th in the popular series and the 3rd made by Crystal Dynamics sees Lara hunt around the world for an entrance to Avalon to find her mother. Can she still cut the mustard against recent challenges from Uncharted?

It takes you to various mythical underworld locations collecting artifacts and clues to find Thor's Hammer. Mexico, Thailand, Artic and various underwater locations are all modelled in glorious Hi-res graphics. Although using the same boat location twice was a cop out.

Lara herself is a bit of a looker in those jungle pants in the rain, the water glistening of her ample..... eh suffice to say the graphics are pretty.

However the graphics, pretty as they are are hampered by the same old problems, weird clipping issues where you are stuck in the scenery, bloody annoying camera that doesn't really let you pan around to see where you are going next and invisible walls that make Lara do Marcel Marcaeu impersonations.

They have certainly improved her moves, with the superb animated main character, leaping, hanging, balancing, rapelling, chimney jumping, swinging, jumping and generally traversing the scenery like a gymnast. They have even given her some hand to hand combat moves (god know why as the combat sucks). Underworld excels in the platforming parts of the game, combat was functional, but annoying (certainly not as good as Drake's). The AI was dreadful with most foes just running straight at you.

Plot was ok, but nothing thrilling. It continued Lara's search for her mother (with a rather muted and odd results) and her nemesis Amanda and Natla. I don't think it stood up to the storytelling of Uncharted which had increadable chemisty between it's lead characters, Lara is more of a loner for the majority of the game.

So overall there were some nice ideas in the game (Sonar map was cool), the levels and platforming mechanics were great, combat was less so, and it seemed to round off the plot nicely.

A solid but not spectacular Tomb Raider game.

7/10
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #771
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Mirror's Edge While the game is really pretty to look at and have some of the most intuitive controls I've experienced in a First Person game, it is to say the least... repetitive.
Doesn't come as much of a surprise. It was done by EA afterall.

Speaking of EA...

Dead Space

Finished this the other week after i finally beat Impossible Mode. I just wanted that mode out the way just to get the final achievement i needed. Certainly a challenging mode at times, but it seemed doable. Especially near towards the end. This was down to spending credits wisely, saving nodes and upgrading the right equipment. Running away at times can sometimes be the wisest course of action too. Oh, and saving a LOT lol.

As for the game itself, it's very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit during my first playthrough. I'm ashamed to admit it, but i haven't really played many survival horror games. So this felt a bit different than some of the other games i've played. My enjoyment seemed to kick in when i came across my very first store. I loved the idea of buying/selling the right kind of items in order to survive. And storing items in the safe for later in case i really needed them. Survival on easy mode isn't particularly difficult though. Another reason why i played Impossible Mode - just to experience the survival aspect of the game.

Good Points:

+ Graphics are very good
+ Animations are good
+ Necromorphs look great and at times disturbing
+ Combat is good and good fun dismembering enemy's limbs
+ Lip-synching for the characters is very well done
+ The scares are a plenty
+ Plenty of gore
+ The enviornments are dark, eerie and creepy - they're a bit more enclosed than the environments in Doom 3, but that helps make some of the rooms feel more claustrophobic.
+ The sound effects are spot on - especially when you're all alone in a maintenance area and you can hear the sounds of Necromorphs growling/howling, or the sound of objects, like tools, being knocked over and hitting the floor.
+ Gameplay is generally good
+ The holographic images of your inventory as well as video and text logs are very good - it's a good idea that the game doesn't take you out of the game world when you enter your inventory. This way it doesn't affect your immersion and keeps you on the edge of your seat in case anything attacks you nearby.
+ The boss battles are entertaining and huge (especially the final one) - they're very easy to do on an easier difficulty setting obviously, but more longer, challenging and satisfying to beat on a harder setting.
+ Great upgrading weapons and equipment
+ Cool trying to find items to help you, buying/selling/storing items at the store - more challenging on the harder settings.
+ The Zero-G sections are cool
+ The music/ambience is very good - appropriately creepy and eerie and at times reminded me of Doom 3 again.
+ The voice acting is generally good
+ The story is interesting to follow and unravel

Bad Points:

- Gameplay is a bit on the repetitive side
- Combat is a bit on the repetitive side
- Missions are on the repetitive side - Isaac's always running errands for the other 2 survivors, Hammond and Kendra. The missions seem to consist of the player getting from Point A to Point B to repair faulty machinery or fetch certain items etc.
- Puzzles are on the repetitive side - whether it's freezing an object with Stasis, moving an object using Kinesis, both, or fetching keys to unlock doors.
- The scares are on the repetitive side (god, typing repetitive is repetitive) - just like other horror games (and movies), once you've experienced what happens, when and where, it doesn't seem to have the same effect again. Having said that, it still has the power to make me jump at times. Just like in Doom 3, however, you'll have monsters bursting out of closets (or in the Necromorphs case: ventilation shafts) or playing dead. For me, one minute they work, the next they don't.
Horror games should use that A.I. Director from Left 4 Dead. At least the experience would be different each time and would always keep you on the edge of your seat.
- The story is a bit of a mixed bag - as i've mentioned before, whilst to me it was interesting to follow and unravel during my first playthrough, the story isn't really anything special. Some people may not find it interesting either. Even though i didn't guess one or two of the plot twists at the end, which i should've done, the story contains a lot of sci-fi cliches.
- The characters don't have much background story - Isaac probably does than the other characters, but not much. Especially when he never speaks. Like Yahtzee said in his review, it's a bit difficult to care about the main characters, Isaac and his girlfriend Nicole for example, when they either never speak or you don't know much about them.
- The Zero-G sections can be a bit disorientating at times
- Even though i said above that the voice acting is generally good, there are times, however, where it can be on the weak side imo.
- Sometimes there isn't much variation, in regards to the enemies you have to deal with.
- One small thing that annoyed me, more than once, with Isaac, was that there were times when i tried to use Stasis on an enemy but nothing happened. Isaac did his animation of casting Stasis but it was almost like he had second thoughts and then didn't bother. Either that, or it misses completely dispite the fact that i was aiming right at them. Very annoying when an enemy is right up in your face on a harder difficulty and you've hardly got any health left.
- Ending leaves you in the dark

Overall: A very good horror game. But not the scariest i've played.

4/5
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #772
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Doesn't come as much of a surprise. It was done by EA afterall.
EA are only the publishers, it's DICE that should get the credit for developing the game. It's actually a shame I don't like it more because like Dead Space it's a wonderful new fresh IP which in a way has brought the genre one step forward. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's any fun.
I hope most people won't agree with me though.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #773
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
EA are only the publishers, it's DICE that should get the credit for developing the game.
DICE are an EA company now. Just like a lot of game developers, EA have taken over them.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #774
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I've heard a lot of gamers and gaming press describe Mirror's Edge as repetitive, but they fail to specify what exactly is repetitive about the game. It strikes me that the only thing that could be described as repetitive about the game is the gameplay, but the gameplay is as much what Mirror's Edge is about, as cover is what Gears of War 2 is about, or drive-all-over-the-city style gameplay is what GTAIV is about. If you don't like the mechanic that a mechanic-driven game is built on, you won't like the game. Hence it's a matter of taste and personal preference, not any shortcoming on the developer's part.

Just my two cents, though.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #775
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I've heard a lot of gamers and gaming press describe Mirror's Edge as repetitive, but they fail to specify what exactly is repetitive about the game. It strikes me that the only thing that could be described as repetitive about the game is the gameplay, but the gameplay is as much what Mirror's Edge is about, as cover is what Gears of War 2 is about, or drive-all-over-the-city style gameplay is what GTAIV is about. If you don't like the mechanic that a mechanic-driven game is built on, you won't like the game. Hence it's a matter of taste and personal preference, not any shortcoming on the developer's part.

Just my two cents, though.
You're correct when you say that it's the gameplay that's repetitive and hence I'm sure lots of people are enjoying the game as it is.

So EA owns DICE now...? Well after Dead Space and Mirror's Edge I'm almost ready to forgive EA for all those previous boring games.
If EA keeps this up, they'll be my heroes.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #776
Psychonaut

Vampyre Story

Lots and lots of hype and expectations on this game.

Although it doesn't quite live up to that hype it is still one of the better adventure games around.

Pros

* Sumptious 2D graphics with a really cool Parallax effect. The 3D parts are functional, but glitchy - would have preferred 2D, but I understand the commercial pressures to go 3D.

* Superb interface, reminicent of Monkey Island of course, I especially liked the idea that she "remembered" some inventory items rather than carried them around, then automatically jumps back and forward to get the item when you use it.

* Decent story filled with good charactisation and some really funny lines. (Although a lot of the lines fall into smile rather than LOL)

* Lots of interactivity on each screen gives you plenty to do.

* On the whole the puzzles are fun and challenging.

Cons

* Game is too buggy for a retail release. The patch fixed some of it, but was still suffering skipping audio during cutscenes.

* Mona's voice can be grating. If she says "Froderick!" one more time Grrr.

* There can be problems with at least one puzzle if the prompts/clues are not voiced (i.e Beaker puzzle, some people complained that the "It's not sweet enough" clue didn't happen when they played)

* It suffers from the Syberia curse in that the game just stops rather than having proper ending. This makes the game feel unfinished while they make the sequel/continuation.

Overall I thought it was a brilliant game. I had lots of fun playing it (A real hark back to the Lucasarts days of old).

Some small niggles on the technical side and a script that is mildly amusing rather than hilarious may hamper it from true greatness, but for a first release this shows great promise.

Roll on the further adventure of Mona De Lafitte.

8/10
Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #777

Silent Hill: Homecoming
Silent Hill "5" is the seventh game related to the mysterious city Silent Hill. I have finished every game in the series, including Orphan (the mobile game) and I have ofcourse also seen the movie. Gamewise, I will probably have to rate the fifth game somewhat better than Origins (SH "0") but I wouldn't say it's a great game. Why?

Well, let's start with the good stuff. SH5 looks and play better than the entire series so far. The character models looks absolutely great, the transitions between the foggy world and the Otherworld looks just great. The story itself, considering the "real twist" and all, is by all and all pretty good. The combat system have been boosted a bit as well over previous games.

The bad... well, it's difficult to point out why SH5 overall felt like a boring experience. The story, well, most of the game there's barely any story at all. You can guess early on that things really isn't ok with "coming home", but there really isn't much into it. The game fails the psychology of earlier games. It isn't really that scary, and there isn't much of emotion into it. Most of the time you will simply run around, dodging monsters, doing puzzles, but the storytelling simply isn't there. I guess one who craves another horror game after Siren 3, Penumbra: Black Plague and Dead Space can check it out, but beyond that I wouldn't recommend Silent Hill: Homecoming.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #778
Random

I have finished the world of goo.

Its a pretty interesting game. Proves that graphics, sometimes, don't matter!

I'll rate that 9/10

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #779

Far Cry 2
Far Cry 2 is a sandbox free-roaming FPS. What does that mean? Well, basically you find yourself in a superb engine, free to do things in your own order with lots of optional content for you to deal with.

Trouble is, none of it really matters.

I found myself 36 hours into the game when I finally saw the credits and it could have been ten. I spent a lot of time on the bonus content (and completed it all). Frankly, it doesn't give you anything. I am not sure it's worth chasing down the diamonds either. You really just need one setup of weapons which you can afford if you do the assassin missions and the weapon dealer missions then continue to only do the main quests.

The story doesn't feel emotional, philosophical or epic. Beyond that I found my self wasting most of my time traveling from point A to B in fed-x missions, defeating the same respawning guardposts over and over again.

Far Cry 2 is a vast world of generated content. I believe that's why it in the end feels so empty. And the ending, well, that was a really bad ending.

Far Cry 2 isn't really a game I could recommend to anyone. It's too bad and frustrating considering the engine is so great.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #780
Random

I've finished tomb raider: underworld.

It's a beautiful game. Similar as others lara adventures with less "grab these A, B, C and D items to open this door" stuff. For tomb raider fans it's a nice catch! I think the strongest thing of this game is the graphic, they really enhanced it since Tomb raider: legends.

I'll rate that 8/10!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.