You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts is fun!! :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Psychonauts is fun!! :)

I've never played a platformer game in my life. Psychonauts is freakin' fun.
Just wanted to share.

That's all...
Old 03-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
merely human

Oh yeah? Just wait til you reach Meat Circus.

Have you seen the inside of Sasha Nein's mind yet? Watch Raz disco dance in Milla's nightclub?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm just in Basic Braining. I've heard Meat Circus is very difficult. I'm sure I'll use up my monthly allotment of curse words before I'm done.

And I'm sure there's more interesting stuff to come.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
is not wierd

Meat Circus is quite difficult. But the level itself is so creepy and rich. I loved every long, excruciating second in it.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

You're going to have endless amounts of fun up until the Meat Circus. I both envy and pity you.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Watch Raz disco dance in Milla's nightclub?
< dirty mind >

Glad to see you're having fun Melsie, I've been busy so I haven't been playing much, still at the blueprint tank level
Old 03-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Spoiler:
Make sure to find Milla's secret
Old 03-19-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

The meat circus is awkward, not really difficult. My deaths were due to not knowing what to do next. Never really made the same mistake twice, so I wouldn't have called it difficult.

This game is amazing. Easily the best platformer in a long time. I hope a sequel really does show up.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #9
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
I hope a sequel really does show up.
I hope it doesn't. Why does everything good need to have a sequel?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #10
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I hope it doesn't. Why does everything good need to have a sequel?
They don't NEED sequels, but the story seemed to want to progress. I just want to know if he had more planned.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #11
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
They don't NEED sequels, but the story seemed to want to progress. I just want to know if he had more planned.
A sequel seemed to want to happen considering the ending, especially since Raz earned his position as a fully pledged Psychonaut.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-19-2006, 03:14 AM   #12
gin soaked boy

So does that mean it has one of those endings hinting at a sequel, like BG&E? If so, that's quite dissapointing, especially coming from a skilled storyteller such as Schafer. I always hated when movies would do that (horrors, usually), is it so hard to leave the story arc closed? It feels like cheating and dents the integrity of the whole.

And games have even less of an excuse to use that. Do they really think an open ending will make people come back for a sequel? No, great gameplay will! If gameplay in BG&E sucked nobody would care for its ending; most people wouldn't even come that far. And if gameplay works, as it did in BG&E, people who play the game will come back for a sequel regardless of its ending. So why being cheap with open endings?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #13
merely human

Have you played Psychonauts, btw? The story was pretty simple, really, but the ending was very satisfying for all you invested in it gameplay-wise. There was definitely closure, especially for Raz. However, I at least felt that it layed ground for some kind of next chapter. Perhaps not a true sequel, but still something of a continuation, much like Dreamfall continues from The Longest Journey.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:27 AM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Spoiler:
Make sure to find Milla's secret
BRRRRRRR!!!! Damn creepy!!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:27 AM   #15
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Have you played Psychonauts, btw? The story was pretty simple, really, but the ending was very satisfying for all you invested in it gameplay-wise. There was definitely closure, especially for Raz. However, I at least felt that it layed ground for some kind of next chapter. Perhaps not a true sequel, but still something of a continuation, much like Dreamfall continues from The Longest Journey.
No, I haven't played it yet, still no sign of it in Croatia.

And yes, that sounds much better.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:45 AM   #16
merely human

WHAT? That's a damn travesty!! You call the Croatian government and demand that they force some local publisher to bring it over!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:15 AM   #17
Irritant F0rum Beasty

While I'm definitely not a fan of pointless sequels, I think a sequel to Psychonauts would be more justified than most. Because the main characters in this game are kids, I think that would leave a lot of room for character development.

I'd really like to see a Psychonauts sequel where the kids are a little bit older.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #18
gin soaked boy

Here are some thoughts on sequels, innovation and Psychonauts. Take with a grain of salt.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #19
Artist

Send a message via AIM to TekXombie Send a message via MSN to TekXombie Send a message via Yahoo to TekXombie

I doubt there will be a sequel, Tim Schafer in a recent interview discussed his distaste for creating sequels and stated he never felt much like creating a sequel for any game he helped create.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #20
peb
Colossal

I don't think there will be a sequel due to the poor sales. And from all the interviews with Schafer I've seen post Psychonauts release, it seems like he's hinting at doing something else. Schafer (at least later in his career) has seemed to have an aversion to sequels.

That being said, the ending of Psychonauts definitely was left open for a sequel.

Spoiler:
After kissing the girl and becoming a Psychonaut, suddenly Raz and the team is called out on another emergency adventure that involves Lily's dad who turned out to be the President or something.

I'm not opposed to sequels but I'd have to agree with Insane Cobra that endings that directly reference a sequel are tacky. Because if that sequel doesn't come through (here, BG&E), it leaves a sour note at the end of an otherwise excellent game.