You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Duke Nukem Forever still alive?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko
Default Duke Nukem Forever still alive?

Maybe this is all just old buns, but check out this news article over at Eurogamers.

Quote:
More than eight years after work first started on Duke Nukem Forever, 3D Realms bigwig George Broussard has hinted at the game's release date, suggesting it'll finally hit the shelves "when pigs fly."
Although "when pigs fly" may sound like a far off, the article gets more serious stating their in full production and that Duke Nukem isn't too far away.

Hooray for that.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Dessert

I guess "when pigs fly" could be something to do with all the pig cops in the game
Old 02-05-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

WID.

Duke will rule.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I think 2006 might be their year, I am very sure that this game will rule, I saw the old stuff and that was good, I cant imagine what kind of game this is going to end up being. Its been in development for what? 10-15 years? Most really great games take around 6 years, imagine what they've developed.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
El Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Its been in development for what? 10-15 years? Most really great games take around 6 years, imagine what they've developed.
I guess I'll just quote the article again, and hope you're paying attention this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article that states length of development
More than eight years after work first started on Duke Nukem Forever..
Old 02-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

8 years? I guess I lost track after 4.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I think 2006 might be their year, I am very sure that this game will rule, I saw the old stuff and that was good, I cant imagine what kind of game this is going to end up being. Its been in development for what? 10-15 years? Most really great games take around 6 years, imagine what they've developed.
Well I don't think they have been building up on the same game, I heard well i dont think they have been building up on the same game, I heard somewhere when they saw something better than what they were working on, they would scrap it and start working on a concept even better

Last i heard about this was when a magazine went to visit 3D realms about Prey, they had turned anything to do with DN4E to the wall cause "they had come to talk about prey"

so either they really are working on something that will be huge, something that has built itself up to high to just suffer a huge fall or one of the gaming industries biggest pranks(if not the biggest) only say reveal at the verge of bankruptcy "Um, yeah we were just kidding....Gotcha!"
Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Psychonaut

The game has too much hype. The media already has the knifes out to say that for 8 years in development wasn't worth it.

It would need to be the greatest game ever made to stand a chance.

It's just become a joke.

Daikatana anyone.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
woof

whats Daikanta? and what happened to that?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
Psychonaut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikatana

One of the biggest flops in gaming history.

John Romero left ID to deveop his own game. After developing Doom and Quake John Romero could nearly walk on water in the industry so Daikatana was hyped as the best thing since sliced bread.

It was constantly delayed for about 4 years and when it finally came out it was crap and extremely dated.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
Banned User

I can't believe anyone would have hopes of this being a good game. Games that stay that long in development are hardly ever good. It's like a bell curve. Games that spend too little or too much time in development are not always, but mostly shit. You have to find that happy middle.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #12
El Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I can't believe anyone would have hopes of this being a good game. Games that stay that long in development are hardly ever good. It's like a bell curve. Games that spend too little or too much time in development are not always, but mostly shit. You have to find that happy middle.
I have only one thing to say about Duke Nukem Forever. The E3 video (was it 2001?) looked ten times more fun than any recent first-person shooter I've played. Even if I now only played that version of the game, I'll bet I'd be happy.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #13
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Fellas...this is the full comment:

"GB: [Laughs] I think it'll be out when pigs fly. But it's definitely going well now. Things are together; we're in full production. We're basically just pulling all the pieces together and making the game out of it. There's a lot that's finished. All the guns are finished. Most of the creatures are finished. And as I said, we're just basically pulling it all together and trying to make it fun. We've kind of got all these disassociated elements that make up a game, and you put them together and things happen. And then you just tweak it and polish it until it's fun, and that's kind of the phase we're in now, just trying to make something that is really fun to play and interesting."

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....=1&cId=3147571

Just a heads up from a 3DR forum member. Your information is sorely wrong, including how long they have been in development on the current build.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
El Luchador

That's precisely what the article I linked to said. And it referred to eight years as being the time since any work on Forever started. Not the current build.

But how long have they been working on the current build?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
woof

Either from the release of HL2 I think, or they might have started another after that
Old 02-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #16
A Servicable Villain

You know what? I'm enjoying the whole 'Duke Taking Forever' thing, but in the end, should I ever get the game in front of me, I'll just play it and judge it on its own merits.

You see, I've succeeded quite well in not taking hype seriously anymore.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #17
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
That's precisely what the article I linked to said. And it referred to eight years as being the time since any work on Forever started. Not the current build.

But how long have they been working on the current build?

I know, but it just seemed like people read the pugs fly part and ignored the meaty part of the quotes.

They restarted after the 2001 E3 video. From what they have said it was built upon UE2 tech but with their own rendering and code. Apparently the only left of unreal is the net code, everything else is custom built.

I don't know the whole story myself, but the guys over at the 3dr forums could fill you in.

As for not listening to hype, I completely agree. However just remember, its not 3dr who is hyping it but the fans. Its everyone else who wants it to be "the second coming". Truth is that its probably just going to be another fun game to play....and thats all that really matters.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #18
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

All we need is Jon St. John.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #19
Psychonaut

I bet they are totally regretting putting "Forever" in the title.

All those bad puns waiting to be written.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
You know what? I'm enjoying the whole 'Duke Taking Forever' thing, but in the end, should I ever get the game in front of me, I'll just play it and judge it on its own merits.

You see, I've succeeded quite well in not taking hype seriously anymore.
That might work if you have gobs of money, but I can't just buy any game that comes out and hope that it's good. So I have no choice but to believe the hype. Plus, my own instinct is telling me this game is going to suck. I hope they update the graphics at least.