You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game Scene of the Decade - 1990-1999

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Game Scene of the Decade - 1990-1999

I know it's a pretty vast time-span but if you had to nail it down to one, just one scene, what would it be?

For me it would be a scene from Twinsen's Odyssey. Choosing would simple be too painfull. I failed in the opening post But to compensate here is a shot from one of the many great scenes in the game.

Hopefully you guys will be able to pin-point a favorite scene from a favorite game. A tough ask I know.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 03-03-2006 at 05:02 PM. Reason: image re-hosted
Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Yeah, those red X's are pretty iconic!

I choose Ocarina of Time for the N64, which is interesting for me because I didn't even play it in the 90s! It must have been at least 2003, but it still stood up to some of the latest offerings. It included everything I love about games - exploration, a fun storyline, great music, amusing sub-quests for when I got bored... and more. All on a small cartridge. It may have been released towards the end of the decade (1998 I think), but it was the product of a decade of rapid gaming evolution, from simple 2D affairs to the latest in 3D graphics. And yet it still retained and perfected all the elements (above) that make a game great...

The screenshots on the web are mostly rubbish, and I can't take one myself. Given the choice, I'd take a view across the Hyrule Field, with the castle in the distance against the sunset, Link riding Epona (the horse!) in the foreground. The elements of graphical beauty, exploration and adventure all in one shot. But as I don't have the choice, try this:

The title screen, with its haunting music and montage of great locations, makes a good substitute.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #3

Grim Fandango, the ending scene.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Old 03-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
OB

Not necessarily my favorite game but this is a HUGE moment from a huge game(Final Fantasy VII) that a lot of us who played it back in the day didn't see coming. I remember it made me pretty sad, and I still think it's one of the more powerful moments in gaming.

I won't post the image direct, but you can click below:

Spoiler:
http://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/fmvshots-d1/32-aeris-rests/00005.jpg
Old 03-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Not necessarily my favorite game but this is a HUGE moment from a huge game(Final Fantasy VII) that a lot of us who played it back in the day didn't see coming. I remember it made me pretty sad, and I still think it's one of the more powerful moments in gaming.

Spoiler:
Good choice, I was torn between Duke or FF7...I choose Duke because it was one of my first games...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
SamNMax

Quote:

Spoiler:
Overrated.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
OB

Hardly. It's timeless. In fact, I'd say it's the defining moment of 90s gaming and the genre, in general. We lost our innocence in that one fleeting moment and everything changed.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #9

I'd have to go for the cutscene at the end of the Terran campaign from Starcraft. Probably one of the most powerful cutscenes ever made. Chills down my spine every time I see it.

Spoiler:
You know, the movie in which Arcturus Mengsk thrones himself leader of the Terrans, and declares to fight back the Zerg and the Protoss in a news broadcast to the whole human Race.

http://starcraftstrategie.free.fr/Im...%20acturus.gif
Old 03-04-2006, 02:37 AM   #10
gin soaked boy

It's definitely not my favorite game, but the first scene that comes to mind is meeting the blue guy, beating him to death with his own arm and then reading his diary from Bioforge. Creepier than anything out of System Shock.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #11
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Best scene ever? The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, underwater. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played the game yet. A scene of astonishing beauty.

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't realize it was limited to the 90's. Best scene... hmm. Maybe the finale of Super Metroid.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Best scene ever? The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, underwater. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played the game yet. A scene of astonishing beauty.
You're right, though. That is a great candidate for "best scene ever".
Old 03-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #13

I have no idea at all what you guys are talking about with the underwater Zelda scene. Can anyone explain it in spoiler tags please?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #14
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
I have no idea at all what you guys are talking about with the underwater Zelda scene. Can anyone explain it in spoiler tags please?
It took me a second, but I presume Moriarty is talking about...
Spoiler:
...the black-and-white castle where you meet Princess Zelda. It's just awesome when the colour starts to spread and everything comes to life...
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #15
SamNMax

Quote:
Hardly. It's timeless. In fact, I'd say it's the defining moment of 90s gaming and the genre, in general. We lost our innocence in that one fleeting moment and everything changed.
Nope, pretty sure it's overrated.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Cliche, but:

I'd played a lot of Atari 2600 and NES games, and some PC games including a small handful of Sierra adventures I never completed, but nothing could touch this game. The opening of Monkey Island 2 floored me and pretty much readjusted my idea of what a good game was. At the time it probably threw the meter a bit too far in the "is a 3rd person story driven comedic point and click adventure," but I was 11 or 12.

I almost posted a screenshot of the opening of Super Mario Bros. 3, but then I realized the screenshot said "©1988 Nintendo" right below the main menu. God damn it that game is really old now. And I am old.

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
It took me a second, but I presume Moriarty is talking about...
Spoiler:
...the black-and-white castle where you meet Princess Zelda. It's just awesome when the colour starts to spread and everything comes to life...
Most totally amazing moment in a game in ages. Wind Waker gets no respect. I'm working on completing it right now finally, along with Chris (remixor). His save game got corrupted right before he reached that cutscene, and my savegame starts immediately after it. It's totally crushing, because he's never seen that few minutes of the game, but we're both determined to get to the end first, then maybe play back up to that moment.

Last edited by Jake; 03-05-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #17
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Nope, pretty sure it's overrated.
yeah, although its one of my favourite games, i still do not see why that moment is always associated with the same kind of feeling as when kurt cobain died.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
gin soaked boy

What, a violent headache?

BADA-BUM!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #19
A Servicable Villain

I agree absolutely with Phantom, that propaganda movie at the end of the Terran campaign in Starcraft... superb. It's a galaxy-wide broadcast of epic proportions, small and huge at the same time.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I almost posted the opening screen from Mario 64. I remember being amazed that you could actually manipulate Mario's face...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.