You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Xbox360 Waterballoons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Banned User

Default Xbox360 Waterballoons

If you haven't seen the commerical yet, here is it. I love it. You must see it.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

A tad unconnected to the console, but I'm a sucker for any advert that uses that song.

And that's an advert they won't be using in France at the moment.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Banned User

Why don't people seem to get it? It's supposed to be a recreation of the xbox live environment. It makes perfect sense.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I think it's meant to communicate that Xbox 360 allows you to connect to a worldwide network of gamers who will play multiplayer games with you, and it does that well. I like it.

Poor dog though
Old 11-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Psychonaut

I watched it at Game Trailers the other day.

I was like *Huh*, but then I remember the weird Sony ads when it came out or the "Touch Me" ads for the DS.

Quite a fun ad.

I liked the bit when the ones on the bridge had loads in a big blanket and just let them go.

- You should watch the Japanese trailers.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I watched it at Game Trailers the other day.

I was like *Huh*, but then I remember the weird Sony ads when it came out or the "Touch Me" ads for the DS.

Quite a fun ad.

I liked the bit when the ones on the bridge had loads in a big blanket and just let them go.

- You should watch the Japanese trailers.
I saw them. They were pretty odd. Big surprise
Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I loved that ad but I concur with Marek - poor puppy dog.

A massive waterballoon fight would be incredible fun!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #8
Banned User

I love the part when the kid sticking his tounge out gets nailed in the face. That happens a lot online when somebody is taunting.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Hahahaha. That put the biggest smile on my face.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Hahahaha. That put the biggest smile on my face.
I know! Me too! Which is why it is such a great ad.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
merely human

Excellent commercial. Conceptually, it reminds me of the PS2 one with the human mountain (wonder if MS got inspired by that). I hope they come up with more campaigns that emphasize the humanistic perks of gaming and global connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
A tad unconnected to the console, but I'm a sucker for any advert that uses that song.
Robsie, you're not thinking deeply enough. Like Marek pointed out, its essence is that anyone and everyone can join in the fun and games and it helps bring people together. With the world as it is today we need as much of that as possible. The experience of play and fun transcends any political boundaries and any cultural differences between people, it's a common denominator for us all - who doesn't want to participate in balloon fight?

The ad drives this politically uplifting message home by showing the balloon fight in a heavily urban setting. That neighbourhood definitely looks very European, but it could be anywhere - China, South America, U.S. Personally it reminded me of some places in my hometown of Chicago.

By association and incarnation, online gaming is precisely this. Plug in and connect the 360 and you and your family and friends can jump right into the 'balloon fight' and play with others. This ad campaign was NOT intended for hardcore gamers, and that's key. It's instead aimed at entire families, casual gamers, and generally just about anyone who could be intrigued.

Quote:
And that's an advert they won't be using in France at the moment.
C'est dommage. Ah well, you can't blame MS for that one in the end . Go talk to M. Sarkozy about it. And hit the bitch with a water balloon for me while you're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Poor dog though
She never even got hit! And it's only water anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsie
I love the part when the kid sticking his tounge out gets nailed in the face. That happens a lot online when somebody is taunting.
I loved it when the kids above ambush those below with a bedsheet full of balloons.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
She never even got hit! And it's only water anyway.
But, but it scared her. My baby (yeah, she's a dog but she's my child essentially) would run away and avoid me for awhile if that happened. She's get over it, but still......
Old 11-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #13
Banned User

It's funny because you can seem them playing out things that actually happen in the online universe. The kid pushing the other kid in the shopping cart while he nails people with balloons is akin to driving around a warthog in halo while somebody else shoots. I could see about a billion scenarios being played out in this commercial that are frequent in the online world, and that alone makes me chuckle.

I've seen in other forums where people say "what does this have to do with the xbox?!" but it's so obvious that it blows my mind that they didn't catch it.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I've seen in other forums where people say "what does this have to do with the xbox?!" but it's so obvious that it blows my mind that they didn't catch it.
Gamers can be embarrassing tools sometimes.

gamers

GTA series = cops & robbers
Gun = cowboys & indians
Counter Strike, Halo = water balloon fights
Splinter Cell = hide & seek
Myst = Sunday crossword puzzle, gadget tinkering
The Sims, Civilization series = dollhouses, Lincoln Logs
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Robsie, you're not thinking deeply enough. Like Marek pointed out, its essence is that anyone and everyone can join in the fun and games and it helps bring people together. With the world as it is today we need as much of that as possible. The experience of play and fun transcends any political boundaries and any cultural differences between people, it's a common denominator for us all - who doesn't want to participate in balloon fight?
OK, I can see that it's a potent example of symbolism, a metaphor for life and that watching it will make me a better man .

Let me clarify. I could use that same ad to sell anything from cars to Pringles. It's a reasonably fun advert, but it doesn't make me think of an Xbox when I see it, and it doesn't make me want to rush out and buy one either.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #16
merely human

< throws a water balloon at Robsie's mug and splatters him >

p\/\/n3d

Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Let me clarify. I could use that same ad to sell anything from cars to Pringles. It's a reasonably fun advert, but it doesn't make me think of an Xbox when I see it, and it doesn't make me want to rush out and buy one either.
it is a sweet little short film though, innit?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
Banned User

Quote:
OK, I can see that it's a potent example of symbolism, a metaphor for life and that watching it will make me a better man .

Ok and how could that be used to sell cars or pringles?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #19
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Ok and how could that be used to sell cars or pringles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
its essence is that anyone and everyone can join in the fun and games and it helps bring people together. With the world as it is today we need as much of that as possible. The experience of play and fun transcends any political boundaries and any cultural differences between people, it's a common denominator for us all - who doesn't want to participate in balloon fight?
I believe that Pringles had an advert fairly recently about a group of friends getting together and having a fun time together after they started eating pringles. The element of fun on its own doesn't mean that it has to be a games console; if the whole point is about having fun with other people, then sharing those Pringles is just as valid. And, tbh, it's exactly the kind of advert they'd make for them in the UK

Car adverts never make any sense at the best of times. How about that car (I can't remember which) with the tagline "Serious Playtime"?

OK, these are fairly tangental uses of the advert, but I don't see that they're particularly less valid.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
I believe that Pringles had an advert fairly recently about a group of friends getting together and having a fun time together after they started eating pringles. The element of fun on its own doesn't mean that it has to be a games console; if the whole point is about having fun with other people, then sharing those Pringles is just as valid. And, tbh, it's exactly the kind of advert they'd make for them in the UK

Car adverts never make any sense at the best of times. How about that car (I can't remember which) with the tagline "Serious Playtime"?

OK, these are fairly tangental uses of the advert, but I don't see that they're particularly less valid.
I can see you don't play too many online games. I hate to have to quote myself, but here goes:

Quote:
It's funny because you can seem them playing out things that actually happen in the online universe. The kid pushing the other kid in the shopping cart while he nails people with balloons is akin to driving around a warthog in halo while somebody else shoots. I could see about a billion scenarios being played out in this commercial that are frequent in the online world, and that alone makes me chuckle.

So it couldn't be applied to pringles or cars because of the deeper meaning that has a straight connection to online gaming.