You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your Experiences With Multiplayer Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default Your Experiences With Multiplayer Games.

Have you guys n' gals ever played a game online? Silly question.

Tell us a bit about your experiences with multiplayer, allow me to go first.

I fired up Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, that game has the best gameplay I've ever experienced in my life. Anyhoo, when I joined a server with not too many people I like to keep it to 6 or so, not 50. Well I was having a dual with this kid.

Note I've been playing this game for 2 years or so on & off. This kid kills me once and said this:

''You're a ****ing noob! I don't want to play you!!1''

every game I join when I play online they call me freckin' noob, when I've been playing these sorts of games longer than they've been living for. I don't play multiplayer anymore because all the newbies out there think the're pros.

I'd probably think this happends do everyone else around here.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
Epinionated.

Haven't played it in a while now, but never really happened to me on BF2. But that's probably as it's team based.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 AM   #3
capsized.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll...

I've never had that much of a good internet connection (I'm currently on ISDN, dial-up, and was on 56k modem before). BUT during the last year I lived in a student hostel (quite good 24/7 connection). And surprisingly, I had hardly played games online, then. I did participate in some matches of UT2004 and the likes, but nothing serious.

Five or six years ago, after I had bought my first modem, I played some Unreal Tournament, Ultima Online and Aliens vs Pred 2. On 56k. For a while. And there are just two stories worth telling: I once won an UT deathmatch, after which I was invited to an online "training" by some clan, and got butchered there. And my Ultima online experience went like this: Chop trees, chat with the mine workers "next door" during "work break", sell the wood, repeat. It was interesting and all (and, in theory, MMORPGS offer by far the most exciting multiplayer gaming concept, anyway), but, as said, I need a better (and most of all much, much cheaper) connection. At least my brother has got DSL, so I can surf without having to waste some bucks for posting here. I'm eager to try out one of the persistent worlds that are available for NWN!

Last edited by samIamsad; 10-26-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #4
Psychonaut

I went through a phase of playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein online for a while.

Great fun it was too.

Anyone who called me a Noob was shot in the face over and over again.

I keep looking at EVE online as it looks cool, but have enough offline games at the moment.

I remember years and years ago a mate of mine played Meridian59 religiously. He got too pissed off at constant PK'ing and the lag times on a 33k modem was hilarious.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 AM   #5
Hitch-Hiker

My older brother entered a Unreal Tournament Tournament at one of the largest gamming events in the UK 2 years ago. The grand prize was a 600 £ = 1200 $ (give or take) and he beat over 50 people that were running up to play the champion. Then he gained the right for the final match against the champion, and he lost only by 2 frags, he was very dissapointing.

Ever since then he doesnt seem to have time to play games anymore, I guess it hurt his pride a lot. He was on a clan for Unreal Tournament 2004, playing with some of the top players in the world, too.

Pitty he doesnt play anymore, he was great. He began playing FPS with Quake 2 online, his amazing at that game, and all other FPS.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 10-26-2005, 06:13 AM   #6

I've only played America's Army ('cause it's free ), and I haven't had problems. The guys there aren't exactly friendly or the kind of persons I would want to spend time with, but there rarely hostile, or mean. Kinda like the real army, I guess;

And I'm playing Guild Wars, but mostly with a friend. People seem decent there (but then again, I'm playing on french servers ).
Old 10-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I played World of Warcraft with Rodi/Flux for several months until I noticed I was spending all my free time playing a game that never ended, and that I never had time to play anything else... And Rodi had already quit...

I once tried to play NOLF 2 with... Kolzig, I think, and we couldn't managed to play the game online...

I'm hoping that I'll actually play with someone when the Wi-Fi for the Nintendo DS is out...

I have Xfire and GameSpy, but I never use them to play against anyone...
Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I've played the odd game online - mainly Quake, Unreal Tournament 2004, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike. I'm not a great player but I'm not terrible either, so generally people aren't idiotic. You do see an awful lot of petty arguments blow up in the chat though - it seems as though people who like playing games online also love willy-waving. Says a lot about them, doesn't it?

We had an adventure fans' clan a few years ago which was great, because everyone was like-minded - we knew we were bad but we didn't care. That's when online gaming really comes into its own. I remember many an hour spent blowing each other up in Quake in its heydey. We don't really play much apart from Worms Armageddon now, though.

My top tip for online gaming bliss is to find a decent server without too many eejits, and keep going back. I use the ones provided by ADSLGuide, mainly - they've always been good to me.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
Hoopy frood

I try to avoid online play, unless a friend bugs me enough to coax me into it. Used to play StarCraft online constantly, but the whiny insults of battle.net players grated my nerves to the point where I refuse to play against strangers there anymore. There's only so many ways you can be called a homosexual using the most offensive grammar ever before you get fed up and quit. I've been wanting to play Guild Wars, though, if I ever get my hands on it, and I'll definitely be utilizing my DS Wi-Fi connection. It just depends on my mood.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
I try to avoid online play, unless a friend bugs me enough to coax me into it. Used to play StarCraft online constantly, but the whiny insults of battle.net players grated my nerves to the point where I refuse to play against strangers there anymore. There's only so many ways you can be called a homosexual using the most offensive grammar ever before you get fed up and quit. I've been wanting to play Guild Wars, though, if I ever get my hands on it, and I'll definitely be utilizing my DS Wi-Fi connection. It just depends on my mood.
Maybe I could give you a game.

_

Old 10-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Club a seal or two

I don't enjoy multiplayer games anymore.
I miss the days when everybody was a noob. Playing a single session for hours on end and build that feeling of camaraderie.

I suppose I can blame the modern games for being too fast paced.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Odd, one of the reasons I quit World of Warcraft was because of it's SLOW pace....

Spending 3 hours for an instance (that fails because everybody quits) is just too much...
Old 10-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #13
OB

I hate MP, but I did enjoy it in Call of Duty. Whenever I get CoD2, I'll be reenlisting in some good ol' online play for sure.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:03 AM   #14
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I have played CS 1.6 and CS: Source, and Battlefiled 1942 online..Not so much lately though, haven´t had time..
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I play shooters online - indeed, I'm not sure that I've played more than about 5 minutes of offline Unreal Tournament 2004.

I suck at strategy games, so I don't bother playing them online, and I can't stand the slow grind in a MMORPG - particularly when all you're actually doing is clicking on an enemy and clicking the Attack button .

More games need co-op modes. I love them, though they end up getting played only over a LAN.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 PM   #16
Club a seal or two

Jedi Knight demo was awesome. I remember playing it on the net and everybody was admiring the cloud city scenery and shouting "I love this game!!" I was busy taking screenshots in various poses with other people than actually playing
Old 10-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
and I can't stand the slow grind in a MMORPG - particularly when all you're actually doing is clicking on an enemy and clicking the Attack button .
What's a slow grind?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #18
OB

boring, meandering monotony
Old 10-28-2005, 03:26 AM   #19
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
I hate MP, but I did enjoy it in Call of Duty. Whenever I get CoD2, I'll be reenlisting in some good ol' online play for sure.
COD was officially the best online game I'd played after patch 1.03, which eliminated the bunny hopping now prevalent (to its detriment) in BF2. I may just get it just for the multiplayer.

The weapons felt weighty, there was skill in using a rifle. Jesus they were hard to get right but when you got it sorted, there was nothing like them. Some of the one-shot kills may have seemed unfair to newbies, but most of the time if it happened it was your own fault for not being aware. I've never used cover and tactics quite so much in a game and it was all the more thrilling because of it.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
What's a slow grind?
The bit that occurs at the beginning, middle, end and all the bits in between in a MMORPG - twatting small little animals with a pathetically puny sword to gain 5xp. Repeat ad nauseam in an attempt to level up.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.