You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your Experiences With Multiplayer Games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #21
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
The bit that occurs at the beginning, middle, end and all the bits in between in a MMORPG - twatting small little animals with a pathetically puny sword to gain 5xp. Repeat ad nauseam in an attempt to level up.
Any RPG that's just about leveling up sucks anyway...

Except Diablo. But people say Diablo is not an RPG, so yeah.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:06 AM   #22
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Any RPG that's just about leveling up sucks anyway...

Except Diablo. But people say Diablo is not an RPG, so yeah.
Levelling up is a great game mechanic so long as its fun and rewarding at all stages.

Diablo II gets 2 thumbs up for staggering interestingabilities throughout character development. It didn't really hit the sweet spot though till 1.10 when 'synergies' where introduced to encourage players to invest in earlier skills.

Levelling is a let down when the 'carrot' just keeps moving and the rewards seem to be only for those willing to level obsessively (ie: Lineage).

I think one of the reasons I loved Ultima Online back in its hey day was that once a skill reached 100% that's as far as it went, but while you where 'training' you could progressively do more and more with the skill, and the end goal was attainable. That and it had a bitching Bardic system.

It also had a deep 'doll house' system superior even than in The Sims. I still have screenshots of some of my 'houses' from when I used to play.

I was even a counselor (UO volunteer support staff) for nearly 2 years before the player volunteer system was scrapped due to legal difficulties and cheap outsourcing of customer support from India.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:29 AM   #23
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
I think one of the reasons I loved Ultima Online back in its hey day was that once a skill reached 100% that's as far as it went, but while you where 'training' you could progressively do more and more with the skill, and the end goal was attainable. That and it had a bitching Bardic system.
I'll admit that I had great fun for the short while I played Ultima Online. I've never consistently had enough time to dedicate to these games, though ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #24
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'll admit that I had great fun for the short while I played Ultima Online. I've never consistently had enough time to dedicate to these games, though ...
I'm gonna install NWN on my bro's machine and try out some persistent worlds.

1) They're for free.
2) My bro has got DSL.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:01 AM   #25
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I'm gonna install NWN on my bro's machine and try out some persistent worlds.

1) They're for free.
2) My bro has got DSL.
One day I should nick my brother's copy of Neverwinter Nights. Maybe I'll even try the single-player campaign. I'm a far bigger fan of multiplayer, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.