You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I've decided to get Xbox 360

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #41
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I just bought a PS2
I was given a Playstation (the original) the other week by a guy moving to Australia. I finally own a Sony console ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #42
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I'm really tempted, even though the Xbox 360 is ridiculously overpowered for a console and is ushering in the next-gen far too early. I certainly won't be buying one at launch (and probably couldn't, now, even if I wanted to), but I'll definitely be considering it a few months later. If history repeats itself and the price falls dramatically soon after launch, as the price for the Xbox did, then I'll be even more tempted.

But only if it looks like some truly awesome games will be coming out. My original Xbox (and Gamecube - the new Zelda game is still to come out, after all!!!!) will serve me well until then.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:23 AM   #43
Epinionated.

If you think the Xbox360 is overpowered, what about the PS3?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:10 AM   #44
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
I just bought a PS2
I plan to get one when its cheap enough.

*5 years later*

Still a hundred bucks?!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #45
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
If you think the Xbox360 is overpowered, what about the PS3?
I haven't been following the development of the PS3 too closely, but I bet its final specs won't be anywhere near as high as we've been promised. Sony are great at hyperbole - Emotion Engine anyone?

The Xbox 360 just seems to have insanely high specs, when you consider that the average gamer will be playing their games on a dinky little 14" portable TV. Even the original Xbox supports HDTV, but no bugger uses it. (UK Xboxes don't even have the feature turned on). It just seems to me that all three major console makers are rushing to get their new hardware out of the door, before the demand or, in many cases, the games exist to take advantage of it.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #46
Epinionated.

HDTV is probably more widespread than you think. I know of a few people who invested in widescreen LCD/Plasma displays, and most middle-income families have a main widescreen television. The idea that people will be playing mainly on 14" portables doesn't chime with me... why would someone have a new console if they can't afford a new telly?

Besides, these things have to start somewhere. Every time a new console comes out I hear this kind of argument, then it settles. At least people can DEVELOP for the 360, and are, and the games show a marked improvement in presentation which justifies the hardware. The gameplay itself might not leap ahead in the same way as the Revolution may showcase, but the 360 always has been blatantly geared towards its presentational aspects.

Meanwhile, Sony have rolled out a devkit and architecture that is too complex for people to develop for. They're actually having to provide assistance to those working on games for it. If you want to point out problems, there's the biggest right there. The 360 already has a wide slate of games which take advantage of its power - take the new Test Drive, with its replica of an entire island, as an example.

Besides, it's what you do with it that counts. And at least so far the 360 has games that showcase some kind of difference between the previous gen and the new one.

Incidentally, those who bang on about gameplay... look at the Revolution controller. I think it's a superb idea, but how much of a backlash has that had from the general gaming community with concerns towards development?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 AM   #47
Psychonaut

Quote:
HDTV is probably more widespread than you think. I know of a few people who invested in widescreen LCD/Plasma displays, and most middle-income families have a main widescreen television. The idea that people will be playing mainly on 14" portables doesn't chime with me... why would someone have a new console if they can't afford a new telly?

Actually very few large TV's, LCD or Plasma are HDTV compatible in the UK.

It is only in the last few months that they have been starting to come out with HDTV ready signs, HDMI connections and the ability to display at 1080i, but at the moment they are quite expensive.

I have been looking at some and they are all about £1000 which is a sizeable investment in a TV. (although I have seen a 20" HDTV ready set for £500)

HDTV isn't actually available in the UK yet. Sky are planning on lauching a HDTV sky box in the Spring 2006, but only for certain channels like SKY one.

The XBOX 360 can display at HDTV format, but then so could the XBOX they just didn't shout about it. It's also perfectly capable of running on bog standard TV's. The graphics though not as stunning as on an HDTV set will still be better than the current generation. (of course all the pics in the magazines are HDTV scans to show off the best level of graphics).

It will be the equivalent of running Quake 4 in 800x600 or at a higher resolution.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:42 AM   #48
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Save your money and buy a PC instead.

Solves all problems.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 AM   #49
Homer of Kittens

I'm really not impressed with the 360 gameplay wise, and to me it is just this gen with better graphics. So far, I am yet to see in their lineup a game that is revolutionary. Maybe the only 2 that I can single out from what I've seen so far are Alan Wake (maybe), and Metronome. All the others are PC ports, shooters, driving games, GTA rip offs, sports. But then, that's the state of gaming in general these days. I would like to see Microsoft support some unique innovative projects every now and then, like ICO for example, or Psychonauts .

Comparing it with the PS3, I am starting to believe that it is a better console. The PS3 might be more powerful, but what I have read from most reviewers, it is a real pain in the arse to program for. It also makes porting code between it and the 360 and PC a nightmare. And Microsoft has the better toolset. So developer friendly wise, the 360 tramples all over the PS3.

The revolution looks interesting, but I'm worried that Nintendo will not get enough third party support, so they will be isolated like the cube was. Also I hope they can go into different franchises, because to me, Mario is starting to get a little too old.

Firefox rules
Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #50

All this talk about the PS3 being a developers nightmare but I dont understand in what evidence its based on. There hasnt been much gameplay footage but the launch is still far away. But Metal Gear 4 footage looked impressive and it was made in a few months as far as I know (Its true... I dont know much... )
Wasn't the PS2 also supposed to be very difficult to program? But at the end it clearly had the largest number of games available of all the 3 consoles.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #51
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
All this talk about the PS3 being a developers nightmare but I dont understand in what evidence its based on. There hasnt been much gameplay footage but the launch is still far away. But Metal Gear 4 footage looked impressive and it was made in a few months as far as I know (Its true... I dont know much... )
Wasn't the PS2 also supposed to be very difficult to program? But at the end it clearly had the largest number of games available of all the 3 consoles.
There is an interview with John Carmack in last months game informer, and he talks about the 2 consoles from a technology standpoint.

Firefox rules
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
There is an interview with John Carmack in last months game informer, and he talks about the 2 consoles from a technology standpoint.
Yep. Found it and read it. Although he was a little vague. I think he said that to program for PS3 would take a lot focus and energy, but the X360 was easy to port between the PC and all. But that just tells me that Doom 4 and Quake 4 and 5 will probably only be available on the X360... But thats not really a great thing, is it?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #53
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
Yep. Found it and read it. Although he was a little vague. I think he said that to program for PS3 would take a lot focus and energy, but the X360 was easy to port between the PC and all. But that just tells me that Doom 4 and Quake 4 and 5 will probably only be available on the X360... But thats not really a great thing, is it?
Competition is definitely good, and I would rather have every game appear everywhere and you get to choose where you want to play it. That's why making your architecture easier for developers helps them make games for it, something Sony doesn't seem to care about. At least the PS3 has a PC like graphics card now, so it might be a step forward from the PS2.

Firefox rules
Old 10-26-2005, 03:37 AM   #54
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
Besides, these things have to start somewhere. Every time a new console comes out I hear this kind of argument, then it settles. At least people can DEVELOP for the 360, and are, and the games show a marked improvement in presentation which justifies the hardware. The gameplay itself might not leap ahead in the same way as the Revolution may showcase, but the 360 always has been blatantly geared towards its presentational aspects.
Very true - I just think it's a little early to get started on the next generation. Consoles aren't yet 'mainstream' enough to drive sales of HDTV televisions (not to my knowledge, at least), so the capabilities of the Xbox 360 at the upper end are going to be wasted for most, if not all, of its useful life. As Lucien says, those fancy widescreen televisions people have been buying for the past few years are just wider versions of standard definition sets.

I'm all for innovation of course, and the new version of Test Drive with the whole island does sound good - although I don't know enough about it to see how that's different from, say, San Andreas. What I'm against is upgrading for the sake of it. I'm sure the new generation of games will be awesome - most of the launch titles certainly look that way - but I would have been happy with the current gen for a bit longer, that's all. Call me a luddite if you like.

As for HDTV broadcasts in the UK, I know that 'BBC HD' is one of the channels available on the BBC's Internet distribution system (currently in closed beta testing). It's probably a long time before it becomes a broadcast channel, though - there simply isn't the space on Freeview (any available space will probably be snapped up by shopping channels), and you know how much Sky will bum them if they want to get on satellite.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #55
Hoopy frood

I'm still totally content with my PS2. I agree with everyone here who says they're rushing the next generation... sure, the lifespan of a system is around four or five years, but we've reached a point now where upgrades aren't jumping like they were between the NES and SNES, or SNES and N64. We're getting sharper/more detailed graphics, sure, but as games like Metal Gear Solid 3 proved, there's still a lot we can do with this generation. I'm simply not ready to spend $300 on a brand-new console to get a little bit more power.

Also, I refuse to buy the PS3 anywhere near the time it's launched. I'll wait a year, maybe two if I can hold off that long. See, the quality of my first PlayStation 2, bought a couple months after launch, deteriorated to the point where games loaded slowly, DVDs wouldn't play properly, some PlayStation 1 games didn't work, and blue-backed PS2 games (non-DVD discs) were only good for a "Disc Read Error" message. Even the disc tray ejected slower over time. Then, when I got a PS2 modem, it worked temporarily before stopping altogether, which I believe may have been the PS2 failing to recognize it. I ended up just buying a new PS2 (the sleek new mini-design) which hasn't given me problems yet, but my old console was begging to be replaced just a few years after I got it. And this happened to many, many other gamers, as well. So basically, I'm not going to buy another Sony console until they've had a chance to work out the problems and manufacture a sturdier system.

Personally, I'm going to see about getting a Revolution when it comes out. All of my Nintendo products have been very solid, and that's the only system offering something really unique compared to what I already have. The cheaper price tag on the system and its games is also swaying my decision. I'll have a PS3 eventually, maybe even a 360, but saddle me up with a Revolution and I'm content.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 AM   #56
Friendly Server Admin

I'm also wary of initial hardware revisions on consoles. Especially after the original Xboxes (HW Rev. 1.0) shipped with the world's crappiest DVD-ROM drives, courtesy of Thomson. Even my 1.3 Xbox has a pretty suspect drive.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #57
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
I just bought a PS2
I want to buy a modded PS2 someday when I can get it cheaply, I need to play the both Katamari games.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #58
Banned User

Just to jump back in here, I ended up getting an extra wireless controller, the charge and play kit and two games, Call of Duty 2 and Condemned: Criminal Origins.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I want to buy a modded PS2 someday when I can get it cheaply, I need to play the both Katamari games.
Well, the second katamari is being released in Europe in early 2006:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60456

But you should get it anyway just to play the first one. What a great soundtrack!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #60
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I saw a poster for the 360, it said Quake 4 and Oblivion would be 360 exclusives!

I'm guessing they be released on PC a year later or so, not that these games would convince to buy a 360 anyway...

EDIT: HUH? Quake 4 is already out for PC? How can they say it's a 360 exclusive!

Last edited by Tanukitsune; 10-27-2005 at 11:47 AM.