You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #141
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Even the most absurdly fantastic elements of Metal Gear Solid are given an imagined scientific explanation. If it was fantasy, either there would be no attempt at all to explain The Pain's control over the hornets, or it would be explained simply by magic. When we also take into consideration that Metal Gear Solid deals almost entirely with the effects of technology (real technology, like robotics and genetic engineering), which is how science fiction is usually defined, it becomes fairly clear that it is a science fiction story.

mag
I see what you mean. So it's kinda like horror posing as sci-fi (Resident Evil)?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #142
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I'm not denying the similarities to Red Harvest either. But even Kurosawa himself has admitted that The Glass Key was a major source.
Uh, yes I know. But I think you should see the films before claiming any shot-for-shot copying is going on. Frankly, you'd probably like Yojimbo a lot. It's arguably Kurosawa's most accessible film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
But anyway, I think I'll just leave this discussion at that since so many people around here are getting upset about me being so mean to you.
They are?

Last edited by Once A Villain; 09-30-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #143
Citizen of Bizarro World

I don't know about the movie Yojimbo, but Usagi Yojimbo, the comic book, abso-fecking-lutely rocks!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #144
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I don't know about the movie Yojimbo, but Usagi Yojimbo, the comic book, abso-fecking-lutely rocks!
Heh, my first exposure to Usagi Yojimbo was through this figure as a kid, ha ha.

Now before this poll gets moved or closed for being off topic again, let's see...

When I play MGS3 again in the improved re-release I'm really looking forward to:

Spoiler:
The whole Shagohod chase sequence and boss fight. Then the fight with the Boss in the tall grass. Those were two of the coolest parts, made me wish the game was in 16 : 9 and progressive scan.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #145

Yeah, I really hate when big titles doesn't support 16. I've given up on hoping for games to supprot 16, so I switched to a decent 4:3 tv instead - for games that is. The picture quality is actually better now. I don't watch movies on the same tv anyway.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #146
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Yeah, I really hate when big titles doesn't support 16. I've given up on hoping for games to supprot 16, so I switched to a decent 4:3 tv instead - for games that is. The picture quality is actually better now. I don't watch movies on the same tv anyway.
You shouldn't give up. Almost every PS3 and XBox 360 game will support 16 : 9. Also, quite a lot of XBox games now support 16 : 9, and all of them support progressive scan. Anyway, almost no PS2 games support these visual enhancements, but it's no coincidence that the best looking PS2 game to date (God of War) has both 16 : 9 and progressive scan support.

By the way Crimson, it sucks terribly, but I learned a while back that you have to put spaces in 16 : 9 on this website, or you'll end up doing this (16). Heh.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #147

Hehe, yeah I saw that. Well, tbh, I haven't given up on widescreen gaming setups, but as for now this is the best setup I have, considering the tv even seems clearer than the 16 : 9 tv. I think I'll stick to Sony tvs from now on.. or not, as I think my next tv will be a flatscreen anyway.

But is there actual an advantage to widescreen tvs versus 4:3 tvs? What games that support 16 : 9 actually enhance anything?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:05 PM   #148
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
But is there actual an advantage to widescreen tvs versus 4:3 tvs? What games that support 16 : 9 actually enhance anything?
In the current generation of games it has usually been just an aesthetic enhancement. Games, movies, etc. just seem more pleasing in the 16 : 9 ratio (I suppose someone could argue that, but think about it...why has 4:3 been virtually eliminated in film and HDTV?). Actually, as long as I'm watching something in its native aspect ratio I couldn't care less if it's 4:3 or 16 : 9, but generally 16 : 9 is preferable.

However, in games like Half-Life 2, you actually see a lot more in 16 : 9 versus 4:3. And this is how it's going to be with most games on the PS3 and XBox 360 that feature true 16 : 9 aspect ratios.

You actually see quite a bit more to the right and left in the 16 : 9 screens. So, in the next generation of consoles 16 : 9 will be more than just an aeshetically pleasing enhancement. You will actually be seeing more of the image.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #149

Hmm, yes I suspected this. I know only of one current generation PS2 game that actually does this, which is The Getaway. Considering how bad the game is, it's no big loss.

I'll probably re-evaluate my screen of choice when all the next-gen machines are out, and see how it goes. I'm not so interested in spending big money on something that only enhances a few games. Besides, the price on the LCDs or Plasmas are bound to fall anyway.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #150
adventurefan99

Well I could only be bothered reading the first six or so pages of the topic, but by now I get the general ideas floating around.

After reading these posts, I've come to the conclusion that Quentin Tarintino is a terrible filmaker, because basically everything in his movies are blatant rip-offs of Asian movies.

The Monkey Island series are also complete crap because they contain quotes ripped off from Star Wars, and have so many injokes that it loses all trace of originality.

And how many people find Fahrenheit great because of it's originality? Come on! It's storyline is ripped off almost every Sci-fi ever known, and the gameplay is so derivitive of many gameplay techniques used beforehand.

In fact, everything in life is just derived, or ripped off, or improved upon something else. How can you people live with yourself knowing that everything you do, say, and think has probably been done by someone else before. I myself would commit suicide, but I'm afraid that people may think that I just copying people who have killed themselves in the past.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #151
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42yoMan
Well I could only be bothered reading the first six or so pages of the topic, but by now I get the general ideas floating around.

After reading these posts, I've come to the conclusion that Quentin Tarintino is a terrible filmaker, because basically everything in his movies are blatant rip-offs of Asian movies.

The Monkey Island series are also complete crap because they contain quotes ripped off from Star Wars, and have so many injokes that it loses all trace of originality.

And how many people find Fahrenheit great because of it's originality? Come on! It's storyline is ripped off almost every Sci-fi ever known, and the gameplay is so derivitive of many gameplay techniques used beforehand.

In fact, everything in life is just derived, or ripped off, or improved upon something else. How can you people live with yourself knowing that everything you do, say, and think has probably been done by someone else before. I myself would commit suicide, but I'm afraid that people may think that I just copying people who have killed themselves in the past.
Thank you for adding nothing to this conversation. If you think Quentin Tarantino just rips off Asian movies or that quoting Star Wars a few times in a Monkey Island game is anywhere close to what was being discussed here, then perhaps you were skimming the posts and not actually comprehending them. Try again.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 PM   #152
adventurefan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Thank you for adding nothing to this conversation. If you think Quentin Tarantino just rips off Asian movies or that quoting Star Wars a few times in a Monkey Island game is anywhere close to what was being discussed here, then perhaps you were skimming the posts and not actually comprehending them. Try again.
In case you somehow took my post seriously, that was my intention. My point is how trivial this argument is. Every format borrows from another source in someway or another. Tarintino is one of the greatest modern directors and a lot of the scenes in his movies are ripped off scene-by-scene from other movies. This doesn't just happen once or twice, but many, many times in a single one of his films. That doesn't make Tarintino any less great, it just shows that he loves movies and wishes to pay tribute to them and wraps it all together within an original idea.

The same with MGS. Hideo Kojima, he doesn't necessarily bring anything new, when it comes to telling a story or making a film, but what he has done which is revolutionary was make a "game" out of it. Looking back at games like the original Doom or games like Commander Keen; how cinematic were they? how great were their cinematography? Practically non-existant...

MGS, was admittedly not the first game to take a cinematic approach, but is was the first to take it to the extreme included an mixture of hollywood action and stealth in a pure cinematic thrillride. The same can be said for all the games in the series, and that's what makes it so original when compared to most other games (and that's why so many other games have tried to follow in MGS's footsteps).

Just because Hideo Kojima has a love for hollywood inspired movies and pays tribute to them in his games certainly doesn't make him a hack. Calling Hideo a hack with no talent is basically the same as calling Tarintino a hack with no talent.

Now just so you don't go calling me a fanboy, I personally do not like the MSG games though certainly not for their lack of originality, but I respect how they have revolutionised the gaming world with their "original" approach to interactive entertainment.

Last edited by 42yoMan; 10-01-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #153
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42yoMan
Tarintino is one of the greatest modern directors and a lot of the scenes in his movies are ripped off scene-by-scene from other movies. This doesn't just happen once or twice, but many, many times in a single one of his films. That doesn't make Tarintino any less great, it just shows that he loves movies and wishes to pay tribute to them and wraps it all together within an original idea...

...Calling Hideo a hack with no talent is basically the same as calling Tarintino a hack with no talent.
That's just not true though. So it hurts your point that this discussion is ridiculous. What are we talking about here? Kill Bill? Then sure, Tarantino rips-off a bunch of his favorite kung fu and samurai movies. But the style (while he emulates others at times, for sure) is still overwhelmingly Tarantino's. One can't watch that film and not know that only Tarantino could have made it like that. However, he does use a lot of stuff from other films in Kill Bill, that's true. The Kill Bill films aren't Tarantino's masterpieces anyway, they are just fun movies.

What about Pulp Fiction though? That movie was very original and fresh in 1994. Granted, it featured a MacGuffin (from Hitchcock) in the form of the briefcase with a mysterious object inside that is never revealed to the audience. It also had some raw, violent sequences that were reminiscent of exploitation films. Overall though, Pulp Fiction was far, far more original than anything Kojima has done (again, this doesn't mean everyone has to like Pulp Fiction, my point isn't that it will be enjoyable or inoffensive to everyone). By the way, don't get me wrong, I like Kojima's games overall (I have enjoyed all of the MGS games aside from 2, and Snatcher and Policenauts are cool).

Last edited by Once A Villain; 10-02-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:24 AM   #154
Party On Dudes

is half life two being released on xbox or 360?

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 10-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #155
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
is half life two being released on xbox or 360?
XBox unfortunately. I don't know why they chose to do that. It would be a perfect port if they went to the the XBox 360. Still, even the XBox HL2 will feature progressive scan and true 16 : 9.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #156
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
XBox unfortunately. I don't know why they chose to do that. It would be a perfect port if they went to the the XBox 360. Still, even the XBox HL2 will feature progressive scan and true 16 : 9.
yes!

thank you dude, i was hoping that it would be out for xbox even though it might sacrifice a few things... o well, saves me a bitta mohoney.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop