You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 06:51 AM   #21
Schattenger

Quote:
The puzzle solution involves a mechanical toy dog that distracts the lemur
This bit of the preview reminded me of the puzzle from Full Throtle that you had to use the mechanical bunnies or dog (I ´don´t remeber exactly right now!) to clear the mine field!!!
If this puzzle from Runaway 2 is as funny as that one...them....i will love it!

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 05-31-2005, 06:55 AM   #22
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Anyhow Jackal, I still disagree on the phrasing. So there. "Implausible situations"? "Nonsensical narrative"? We could argue semantics all day, but when referring to "impossible physics" or whatnot directly I can understand what you're saying. By referring to "illogical", that dictates "without logic".

Now I'm just being pedantic.
Ah, well, semantics is just a day in the life of a forum. I just think the word effectively conveys its point in this context, and that's really all it's supposed to do.

Quote:
As for cartoons, I work in animation. When I'm not typing here that is.
I know. Why do you think I used it as my example?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 AM   #23
Epinionated.

Well, I s'pose I blow my own trumpet an awful lot.

Actually, this is not the only time in the last month or two I've written before engaging the "context sensitive" part of my brain and ended up floundering like a whale on a beach. I've edited my comment for "temporary idiocy"!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta
This bit of the preview reminded me of the puzzle from Full Throtle that you had to use the mechanical bunnies or dog (I ´don´t remeber exactly right now!) to clear the mine field!!!
If this puzzle from Runaway 2 is as funny as that one...them....i will love it!
You had to use bunnies. Wasn't that bit set to the Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries'? Classic.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #25
Schattenger

Quote:
You had to use bunnies. Wasn't that bit set to the Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries'? Classic.
Yeah!!! That´s why i tought it is very funny.

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #26
Banned User

I can bet you this game won't have any hilarity.

Thanks Adventuregamers for supporting bad games that make the genre look ridiculous.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 AM   #27
Curiouser and curiouser

Thanks, Emily, for a preview that made me excited about the game. I really had so much fun with the first game--when I wasn't cursing it. And I do think it's both quirky and illogical to have a puzzle that requires you to

Spoiler:
Make bullets out of lipstick? AS IF the tubes would hold up under fire!!!!

But that was all part of the fun. Looking forward to this one.

Last edited by EasilyConfused; 05-31-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #28
Schattenger

Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil:
I can bet you this game won't have any hilarity.
Thanks Adventuregamers for supporting bad games that make the genre look ridiculous

Why do you say that? I tought that the purpose of Adventuregamers was to suport and inform us off all the games related to the Adventure Genre.

And...Kind of off topic but, Jackal, do you guys and gals will post a preview of Benoit Sokal Lost Paradise? I am dying to see actual screenshots and more info of this game.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 AM   #29
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta
And...Kind of off topic but, Jackal, do you guys and gals will post a preview of Benoit Sokal Lost Paradise? I am dying to see actual screenshots and more info of this game.
Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #30

I wouldn't consider the Lemur-puzzle as "illogical", because it would mean that you can't solve it by using your brain, but only by trying and trying or simply by coincidence. But the first time I played the puzzle (about 2 days before the E3, by the way), I was able to solve it by using my brain (to my surprise, it worked this time). It seemed LOGICAL to me to

Spoiler:
use the puppy dog to distract the Lemur - the rest was trial (with water, then, again logically with whiskey).

I think I would call it "creative", but I'm a PR Manager, I have to find euphemisms. As a human, I would call it "funny, but a little bit weird".

Last edited by fov; 05-31-2005 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 05-31-2005, 09:45 AM   #31
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Thanks Adventuregamers for supporting bad games that make the genre look ridiculous.
Feel free to send us the complete list of unfinished games you've already judged, and we'll see about cherry-picking our coverage from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.
Fortunately, the wait won't be that much longer.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:48 AM   #32
fov
Rattenmonster

Chris, fixed your spoiler tags - that yellow was hurting my eyes. Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp Chris
I think I would call it "creative", but I'm a PR Manager, I have to find euphemisms. As a human, I would call it "funny, but a little bit weird".

This is a good description. I agree with "funny but a little weird." But that's what made the first Runaway so great.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:53 AM   #33
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Feel free to send us the complete list of unfinished games you've already judged, and we'll see about cherry-picking our coverage from now on.

Fortunately, the wait won't be that much longer.
Could you stop covering all those new games? I already hate them. They're nothing like those other old ones.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimus
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't like any of this "Let's pick up this Frying Pan now, because you never know, it might come in useful in an hour's time". I don't mind going back and finding items that I noticed, when I finally do have a use for them. As long as they were obvious to begin with and don't require a whole load of pixel-hunting to find...
Fair enough, so the character won't pick up anything or do anything until s/he can see a reason to do so. But I can often see a completely relevent reason to do so when they can't, and more often than not, I turn out to be correct.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:21 AM   #35
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfegg
Fair enough, so the character won't pick up anything or do anything until s/he can see a reason to do so. But I can often see a completely relevent reason to do so when they can't, and more often than not, I turn out to be correct.
Yep. It's almost as annoying as the 'guess which of the twenty million sharp pointy things you can pick up will actually work in your inventory' puzzles. I hate those.

But yeah, I dislike the forced 'Why would I want that?' responses. If anything, it's an immediate sign that you will need the item (they don't give that response otherwise), so I'd rather not be patronised. It's an adventure game. You always need tons of crap...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #36
Epinionated.

I enjoy jamming ladders in my trousers!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #37
Banned User

I'd say the real problem is that they are too much LIKE the old ones.

It's like remaking a black and white movie.

And lets not forget that they are making the same mistakes as the games before them, even though they had about 15 years to learn.

I still can't believe you guys all look forward to the next Pendulo studios production or Mr. Sokal's next overly boring idea.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #38

Wow I ask a one question. I got a lot info about this game. Thank for guy help. But I enjoy the first game. I just they can do better in this game. I wonder any USA company going publish for this game.

Last edited by Tacking; 06-01-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
I'd say the real problem is that they are too much LIKE the old ones.

It's like remaking a black and white movie.

And lets not forget that they are making the same mistakes as the games before them, even though they had about 15 years to learn.

I still can't believe you guys all look forward to the next Pendulo studios production or Mr. Sokal's next overly boring idea.
Is it just me or is the constant and automatic bashing of current adventure games getting just about as boring and pointless as poorly constructed AG puzzles? Count me in the group that enjoyed the first Runaway and eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

A great article by the way, Mom.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #40
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
A great article by the way, Mom.
Thanks. Although I'm suddenly feeling kind of middle aged.

Tacking, I'm pretty confident that a US publisher will pick this game up. We'll report it when it happens. Welcome to the forum, btw.