You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Jack's Blackstone Chronicles Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Bearly Here

Default Jack's Blackstone Chronicles Review

It is refreshing to read a review that trips off the tongue so well.

Loved this part....

Quote:
purely psychological—only ever implied, and 100% human.
That 100% human is the most terrifying and saddening thing about this plot line.

And yes, though there are those I like to tease with statements like "Sierra drops to it's gaming knees in front of god Lucas..." (well they probably would if Lucas would allow )

Truth is my favorite old school gaming company is Legend. Glad to see it recognized in print. Every game they did was well crafted and yup like you said...

Quote:
Design genius, that. It's touches like this that show how much better Legend understood gamers than the vast majority of developers
Callahans, Mission Critical, Spellcasting, ... that Blackstones was their last adventure title was a sad day for gamers I think.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
...trips off the tongue...
Was this a compliment? Or was I stuttering?

Quote:
Callahans, Mission Critical, Spellcasting, ... that Blackstones was their last adventure title was a sad day for gamers I think.
Yeah, Legend really never took a wrong step, and they weren't copycats, either.

If they had one thing going against them, it's something of a "low budget" feel to their games. (I don't know if it's true, but that's the impression they often gave). They were never flashy or cutting-edge or really focused on anything but gameplay. That made their games great, but a much harder sell.

Hopefully people will still give their games a chance. And Blackstone is as good a place to start as any!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
Banned User

And don't forget Gateway and Homeworld, two absolutely superior text/graphic adventure titles!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

Haven't played those, BJ (still sitting on the shelf), but no surprise to hear they're good. I also quite liked Shannara, which had - gasp! - moral choices and a sprinkling of turn-based fighting.

Sigh...

People, go eBay shopping for Legend games.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
Banned User

Hey, if Jack, Laura and I all three agree on something, you know it must be the gospel truth!
Old 10-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #6

Gateway is freeware isn't it? I remember downloading the full version off of the PC Gamer website.

And Legend did release one crappy game, Unreal 2, but at least they released a multiplayer expansion for it for free.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Banned User

Gateway and Gateway 2: Homeworld are abandonware, not "freeware." You can get them both at the usual places if your particular ethical bent leads you that direction.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Retirement is stupid

No, it is true that Legend released Gateway as freeware back in 1996 or so. I don't have a link to it offhand but I'm sure someone can find one (from a non-abandonware site, of course).

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 10-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
Banned User

My bad, and thanks for the correction, Evan. I had only seen them listed as abandonware. *total embarrassment*
Old 10-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
Retirement is stupid

We do have a smiley for that, y'know.

8-)

No, wait that's not it, its

No, not that either... ...no... ....

Oh, screw it.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 10-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
How am I not myself?

Quote:
he's a man that could look you coldly in the eye and assure you he was acting in your best interest, before driving an ice pick through that same eye to produce a pre-frontal lobotomy (yes, it was an actual practice).
Indeed it was. They inserted a thin metal pipe into the frontal cortex and into the soft tissue of the frontal lobe. A few quick up and down jerks to sever the latteral hyperthatalos, all resulting in a rapid reduction of stress. The only visible evidence of intrusion was be a black eye. Yes, I know, disturbing
Old 10-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #12

I've never played a Legend adventure that I didn't like. The graphics in their adventures improved over time, but they were never a focal point of their games the way some adventures are (sometimes at the expense of actual puzzling and adventuring). And since a few of the Legend folks came from Infocom and the text-only mindset, that makes sense. Two other really good Legend adventures are Eric the Unready and Time Quest. Time Quest was 3.5" disks and never had a CD version, as far as I know, but it's well worth playing if you can find it.

It was good to see Blackstone Chronicles getting well and thoroughly reviewed.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #13
Bearly Here

Marianne, well said indeed.

I hadn't actually gotten into my own take that deeply on what specifically makes the Legend games so memorable. I know - *here's a lame admisson*, but truth is... I just liked them.

But the fact that several key figures were text based makes sense. It was the game play. It was the way you would like to "play a game". Never offsetting or alienating. And text is very personal.

And I agree that all their games are worth a look. Now I wasn't enamoured with them all, but I never played one I wanted to use as a coaster or burn in the back yard either.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
They inserted a thin metal pipe into the frontal cortex and into the soft tissue of the frontal lobe. A few quick up and down jerks to sever the latteral hyperthatalos, all resulting in a rapid reduction of stress. The only visible evidence of intrusion was be a black eye.
I'd rather have a bottle in front'a me than a frontal lobotomy. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

LeChimp, c'mon... Unreal 2 was a solid shooter. Just unspectacular.

Also, Blackstone Chronicles, yeah! Legend, double yeah!!
Old 10-10-2004, 01:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
And don't forget Gateway and Homeworld, two absolutely superior text/graphic adventure titles!
Homeworld is definitely one of the best adventure games ever published. It should be on everyone's "must play"-list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Haven't played those, BJ (still sitting on the shelf), but no surprise to hear they're good. I also quite liked Shannara, which had - gasp! - moral choices and a sprinkling of turn-based fighting.
I liked Shannara too (which I finally got around to playing this spring). Not a classic, but an enjoyable game with a few very interesting parts
Spoiler:
(like the moral choice that came back to haunt you later on... I felt really bad about that, and I guess it's a sign of quality when a game make me feel more than "omg, I'm teh best!1!!" )

Last edited by Kolorabi; 10-10-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
Fienepien

I liked Jackal's review. (Don't agree with this particular one, but that's okay. ) He alwasy writes very well, gives solid info, and respects his readers. In short, a very good reviewer.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Thanks kindly, Fienepien. I'd gladly hear your take on Blackstone if you feel like elaborating.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:29 AM   #18
Fienepien

Well, it all boils down to preferences, doesn't it. The game was too linear for my taste. Great atmosphere, yes. But the sadism and cruelty were more than a bit disturbing. Gruesome. At one point I felt so disgusted that I put the game back on the shelf. I finished it at a later date though, printed wt at hand, just to see the ending.

Spoiler:
And a yucky and contrived ending too! Are we expected to believe that you can first abduct and scare a young boy and then make him hurt his unconscious mother, just by *talking* to him?

I don't agree with you about the Josh appearances. They made sense to me. The abduction plot of saving your living son from the clutches of your dead father is outrageous to begin with. Contrived nonsense, unless the *entire* story is psychological and takes place in Oliver's mind. In that case, the son should have a voice or the plot is too ridiculous for words and the player would forget his quest.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:46 AM   #19

Legend games are excellent, all of them.
Mission Critical, Homeworld, Deathgate and Eric the Unready are pure jewels.
And the other are just very very good. 8-)
Old 10-11-2004, 06:18 AM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Well, it all boils down to preferences, doesn't it.
Yep, it sure does, which is why I always like to hear different perspectives.

Your points are all certainly valid. How interesting that you found it too disturbing. I mean, it is, definitely, but because it's presented in such an understated way, I thought it was... umm... tasteful. Tasteful cruelty? Well, you know what I mean, I hope.

I found the ending:

Spoiler:
reasonably plausible, once you committed to suspending disbelief. If Josh actually thought it was the only way to HELP his mother, I can see him being willing to hurt her. Kids aren't dumb, but they're certainly impressionable. And he really wasn't scared of Malcolm. He was scared of being alone and somewhere unpleasant. So once freed and returned to his home, I could see him being receptive to Malcolm's instructions. Again, only if you're willing to buy the whole premise throughout, of course.

Quote:
I don't agree with you about the Josh appearances. They made sense to me.
I do agree that the story needed them; just not quite as presented. They'd have made sense to me if he were with Malcolm when it happened, because clearly Malcolm could communicate ethereally. But Josh had no such ability on his own. I did admit it was kinda hypocritical to single out this point. But it just grated on me a bit.

Contrived? Blackstone? Naaaahhhhh.... Heh. No, no arguments there. I never really bothered with the "all in the mind" notion, and played it as a straight ghost story. Worked for me.

Thanks for sharing, though, Fienepien.