You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback About Moving Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I think I have to hold my hands up to some of the silly remarks outside of Chit-Chat. Its so sociable around here its easy to forget sometimes.
Eh, no worries. Mods have been known to make silly remarks outside of Chit Chat on occasion, as well.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 AM   #22
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Yep. Like saying "no worries" in relation to a deliberate flouting of forum protocol in a thread outside of Chit Chat .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #23
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Eh, no worries. Mods have been known to make silly remarks outside of Chit Chat on occasion, as well.
Oh well. If the mods are going to do it as well.........

On topic. Mira, if a thread is moved a "Moved" marker still appears in the original forum is was posted in (though it drops down the list fairly quickly as no new posts are being made within that forum) So if the mods do move a thread for whatever reason you should still be able to track it down.

Related query. If a thread is moved to Chit-chat, do all the posts up to the point it is moved still add to post count? I'm not fussed about post count personally. Just curious.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #24
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Related query. If a thread is moved to Chit-chat, do all the posts up to the point it is moved still add to post count?
No, they don't.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #25
Schoolgirl From Hell

*blur look*

They get minused??!

Sounds like school to me... merit/demerit points...

*edit: @Stepurhan: I didn't notice the "moved" marker *sheepish*

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 01-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #26
Banned User

It pisses me off only because chit chat is the bowels of this forum, and because of certain people that start to eff around in a thread, it gets moved into oblivion.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #27
merely human

Which is why WE ALL need to stay on topic. Even if one smart-ass tries to hog attention by making remarks, we can ignore them and continue keeping on topic instead of responding to them, which exactly what they want. If they persist, a mod can slap them back into place. The occasional little joke is fine, but in the end respect the original topic.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #28
Schoolgirl From Hell

I feel bad, now. I started by calling SamNMax a baboon.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #29
Schoolgirl From Hell

Well, if I'm not sure where the thread belongs, can I just post it into "Chit-Chat" and then it might get moved else where?

Sorry if a lot of my questions seem dumb. I just thought I should learn more about the forums to avoid anymore complications in the future. I think it's because I've been hanging around Chit-Chat far too long. Kinda ironic, since I started with joining in on the Adventuregames category.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #30
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Well, if I'm not sure where the thread belongs, can I just post it into "Chit-Chat" and then it might get moved else where?
Just post it wherever you think it should go, and if it's in the wrong place someone will move it.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #31
merely human

And if it is in the right place it just might move someone.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-27-2006, 06:05 AM   #32
Lazi

why don't the mods just move the irrelevant/off-topic posts ? :p heehee
Old 01-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #33
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobee
why don't the mods just move the irrelevant/off-topic posts ? :p heehee
Because it would drastically increase the workload of people already doing a ton of work for nothing anyway? Just a thought.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #34

When a thread goes off-topic, why not let it where it is? I mean, what's to be gained by moving it in Chit Chat?
Granted, when that happens it's usually because people have no interest in continuing the discussion, but there's no telling whether it couldn't take off again a few days later. Unless it has been moved in Chit Chat in the meantime.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
When a thread goes off-topic, why not let it where it is? I mean, what's to be gained by moving it in Chit Chat?
Keeping things tidy.

If a thread starts out being about Monkey Island and turns into a conversation about sex, leaving it in Adventure is both inappropriate and pointless. And before anyone goes "Why would a conversation about Monkey Island turn into a conversation about sex?" just think about it for one second. It happens all the time around here.

So we have two options: tell everyone to stop talking about sex (in which case we'd be accused of being oppressive , and people would probably keep talking about sex anyway), or move the thread to Chit Chat so the conversation can continue.

Sometimes it is viable to split a thread up and move only the off-topic part, as Dobee suggested, but often that's a lot more trouble than it's worth. If a thread is moved, though, it's never at the expense of the original topic. One off-topic post does not relegate a thread to Chit Chat. But if no one's posting on the original topic anymore and people seem to be enjoying the off-topic direction the thread's taken, moving it allows what could turn into a long (and fun ) thread to stay alive.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #36
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
It pisses me off only because chit chat is the bowels of this forum, and because of certain people that start to eff around in a thread, it gets moved into oblivion.
Oh, please.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #37
merely human

Quote:
Granted, when that happens it's usually because people have no interest in continuing the discussion, but there's no telling whether it couldn't take off again a few days later. Unless it has been moved in Chit Chat in the meantime.
Please, Ninth. Get real. That's NOT how it happens in real life. fov explained it beautifully, and as former mod here myself, your theory sounds pretty.......until you throw PEOPLE into the mix.

And as I had already stated earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
Also, there are those of us here who are making A LOT OF UNNECESSARY WORK FOR THE MODS. Please, guys, cut it out. They are NOT getting paid for working here and they're very hardworking as it is. Try to stay on topic and be more mindful of where you choose to start a thread and be respectiful of the original topic of the thread. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Please, Ninth. Get real. That's NOT how it happens in real life. fov explained it beautifully, and as former mod here myself, your theory sounds pretty.......until you throw PEOPLE into the mix.
Not if they're all very civilized and polite people! And we're all... I mean... uh, nevermind.

Thing is, I myself don't care about thread going off-topic, but yeah, I guess reading about Monkey Island in a sex discussion could be bothersome to some.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #39
merely human

Quote:
Not if they're all very civilized and polite people! And we're all... I mean... uh, nevermind.
Ninth

Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, I agree.

Quote:
Thing is, I myself don't care about thread going off-topic, but yeah, I guess reading about Monkey Island in a sex discussion could be bothersome to some.
Well, in a way it is kinda still on topic, sorta. I mean, you know....monkeys...sex....