Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   About Moving Threads (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/12987-about-moving-threads.html)

saucyminx 01-25-2006 03:46 PM

About Moving Threads

Why do people move threads? Why people get threads moved? And why do threads move?

And why some people get mad when threads get moved? :crazy:

I can understand when a wrong thread ends up under a wrong category it should be moved. But when a thread is moved in the middle of a discussions (or whatever related to it?).

I'm confused! Please explain!

SamNMax 01-25-2006 03:47 PM

More like zero replies.

squarejawhero 01-25-2006 03:49 PM

They get moved because its fun. All mods are provided with a setup similar to the one seen in the movie Minority Report and get to shunt them around physically with virtual reality gloves.

Rumours that FOV spends most of her time forseeing what's going to happen, half-naked in a vat of warm water, are as yet unfounded.

pinkgothic 01-25-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mira

Presumably because most of the time, threads are moved from the other boards to "Off-Topic", which means the posts you made in that thread spontaneously stop counting.

pinkgothic

SamNMax 01-25-2006 03:51 PM

No big deal. Most of the topics that get moved are better off that way.

saucyminx 01-25-2006 03:52 PM

At least Pink tries to make sense of things to me. :shifty: @SJH

squarejawhero 01-25-2006 03:53 PM

English rockets take off near my house.

pinkgothic 01-25-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

At least Pink tries to make sense of things to me. :shifty: @SJH

...oops... you're right! Stilbruch. *shuffles back to the all caps thread*

SamNMax 01-25-2006 03:55 PM

... Maybe it's for the best I don't make threads.

squarejawhero 01-25-2006 03:57 PM

You don't need to. We've got a whole bucket of randomness right here.

saucyminx 01-25-2006 03:57 PM

No, Pink! You come back! And you too, Sam!!!

SamNMax 01-25-2006 03:58 PM

k.

The message you entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to 3 characters or more.

RLacey 01-25-2006 04:02 PM

Time to move this thread to "Forum feedback"? ;)

SamNMax 01-25-2006 04:02 PM

Actually, that is necessary.

saucyminx 01-25-2006 04:06 PM

Did I just get myself moved??!

Wait, you guys are pulling my leg, right?

saucyminx 01-25-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Presumably because most of the time, threads are moved from the other boards to "Off-Topic", which means the posts you made in that thread spontaneously stop counting.

pinkgothic

Does that mean that one with the most post count wins a mystery prize?

fov 01-25-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

Why do people move threads?

Because we're bored.

Quote:

Why people get threads moved?
Because they're bored.

Quote:

And why do threads move?
Because sometimes they grow legs and just want to try them out.

Quote:

I have no idea. :crazy:

Quote:

I can understand when a wrong thread ends up under a wrong category it should be moved. But when a thread is moved in the middle of a discussions (or whatever related to it?).

I'm confused! Please explain!
Sometimes a thread is moved into Chit Chat because the conversation has gone way off topic (or has been way off topic all along). That way the silliness (or whatever) can continue. If off-topic chatter ran rampant on all the other forums... well, that would suck. So we try to prevent that by moving threads into Chit Chat when it becomes necessary. ;) (The alternative would be to force people to stay on topic all the time, but where's the fun in that?!)

Sometimes a thread is moved for housekeeping reasons. If it's a hint request and it's in the wrong forum, even if it's already been answered by the time a mod gets to it, it's moved into the hint forum so the next time someone has the same problem, the solution is easy to find. Same with any thread that's posted in the wrong place. Or one that starts out as a discussion about one thing (say, adventure games) but quickly turns into a discussion about something else (like general games). Occasionally we might split a thread and move part of it into another forum if a discussion about another topic springs up in the middle of a thread. That's often more trouble than it's worth, though. :crazy:

In general, if something gets moved it's just because we're trying to keep the forums neat and tidy. No one should be offended or feel guilty or anything if their thread is moved to another place.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-25-2006 09:16 PM

Guys, it's elementary, okay? fov explained it.

Simply put, you know what to do. If you want to start a thread, select the most appropriate forum for it - i.e., adventure game topics start in Adventure Games; hint requests in Hint forum; questions about how this forum works in Forum Feedback. Etc., etc.

If you want a thread to stay where it is categorically, STAY ON TOPIC. Period.

If a thread strays (i.e., people start making silly remarks and others make more silly remarks in response), the mods move it to Chit Chat.

EDIT: Also, there are those of us here who are making A LOT OF UNNECESSARY WORK FOR THE MODS. Please, guys, cut it out. They are NOT getting paid for working here and they're very hardworking as it is. Try to stay on topic and be more mindful of where you choose to start a thread and be respectiful of the original topic of the thread. Thanks.

stepurhan 01-26-2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
EDIT: Also, there are those of us here who are making A LOT OF UNNECESSARY WORK FOR THE MODS. Please, guys, cut it out. They are NOT getting paid for working here and they're very hardworking as it is. Try to stay on topic and be more mindful of where you choose to start a thread and be respectiful of the original topic of the thread. Thanks.

Fair comment. I think I have to hold my hands up to some of the silly remarks outside of Chit-Chat. Its so sociable around here its easy to forget sometimes. Respect to the mods for their hard work and the generally light hand they apply. I shall endeavour not to make life any harder for them in the future.

EDIT Yes Mira. You have been moved. First time I've seen a thread moved OUT of Chit-Chat though.

saucyminx 01-26-2006 06:20 AM

Ooooohhhh.... ok, now I understand. Thanks fov!

... Though it did take me awhile to realize that this thread had been updated. *blushes*

But I did notice that some people did get upset when their thread got moved. *shrugs*. That's why I was wondering if it's really a big deal.

... And hey! I got moved!