You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: Is AG biased towards LucasArts?
No. 44 74.58%
No, but you might be giving that impression. 9 15.25%
Yes. 6 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 02:22 AM   #21
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

If anything you may be overcritical of LEC games, just because you have a special quality scale for LEC games.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:59 AM   #22
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
If anything you may be overcritical of LEC games, just because you have a special quality scale for LEC games.
I think you're right, actually. I've noticed that in the past, but it didn't even occur to me when this thread was started.

Also, I think twif is correct in saying that this would be better on the front page. After all, we can't think you guys are that biased, or we wouldn't hang around the place so much That being said, it might be SLIGHTLY dangerous on the front page since it could possibly draw attention towards a non-existant-but-perceived bias to people who'd never even thought of it.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-16-2003, 05:12 AM   #23
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Trudat.!.!

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-19-2003, 08:42 AM   #24
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I guess everyone here knows that AG hosted on LucasForums just because it was almost effortless. I just needed to click the "add forum" button and make up a fake theme from some art Marek emailed me, and we were set.

I know you act surprised at the top of this post, Marek, but I've always sort of felt that the AG staff has known its perceived as being a bit LucasArts-biased and has intentionally fought against it a bit. For instance, any self respecting LucasArts-loving site would really have given Grim a 5 out of 5. Considering AG didn't, while giving the perfect score to Broken Sword 1, Gabriel Knight 3, and ... The Longest Journey (cough)... something's gotta be up, and I think it might be overcompensation.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-19-2003, 09:33 AM   #25
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

...and I still don't know quite how to explain the disparity between MI 3 and 4.

(btw, Jake, I think you could have quite a valid observation there)

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-20-2003, 03:14 AM   #26
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Damn it, I hate agreeing with Jake.
But he makes a point.
Now go give Grim a 5 and TLJ a 3.5.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:27 AM   #27
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I would like to re-review TLJ and give it 4.5 stars to compensate for the hype it got, but it would be unethical. The score has been quoted on TLJ boxes, the website, etc.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #28
Dazed, not Confused

I think you might have a bias towards new games whereas most of us have a bias towards old games. Runaway and Syberia both got 4.5 and I think you'd have difficulty finding people who would rank them above a lot of your 4 star games such as Discowrld Noir, The Colonel's Bequest or Blade Runner. I agree with most of your review scores and I personally love Syberia but I think you're being affected by hype just like your TLJ review, it's just my opinion so feel free to make fun of it.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #29
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I entirely agree with you marek, you shouldn't do retrospective reviewing for that reason.

I sort of agree with you Macca (the Syberia score was a little igh imo, though I must admit I didn't love the game so perhaps I can't fairly judge it when the majority of people seem to have done). But having said that, I think games should partly be reviewed in comparison to contempoary games, because you can't keep looking back and judging it against something like MI, because the times were so different imo, and the genre has changed.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:04 PM   #30
Puts the 'e' in Mark

That is very very true Dom, and it's also one of the major points in an editorial I'm writing for AG. Couldn't agree more!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:58 AM   #31
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

I think different reviewers have different takes on things, somewhat. (How can you not like the music????!!!) So that confuses public opinion a bit.

In any case, I'll be interested to read your thread, 'cause I'm one of those that thinks things should be compared across time, all else equal (which it isn't).

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-30-2003, 03:03 AM   #32
Dazed, not Confused

I think its exactly the opposite, reviewers are lookig back and saying... well the graphics are better, the sound is beeter and its on a more epic scale, it must be a better game, when its really not, despite the "rose-coloured glasses" syndrome I think perhaps reviewers are overcompensating for it.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 PM   #33

I know it's been a long time since this thread died, but still:
as someone said, not only are you not biased, but you seem to be harsher with Lucas games, even though they're undoubtedly the best games around.
That's not bias, that's (subjective, but not entierely so) facts. I mean, at the time I played both Lucas and Sierra games, and well, Lucas were gems, whereas Sierra's where just good games.

And to say you have to give better grades to adventures just because they're newer and prettier is a nonsense. Monkey Island can be compared to Runaway, and with all it's old graphics, it's still better, on the Gameplay and Sound and story and feeling side. But Runaway gets a lot of hype because it has got prettier graphics, which I think is unfair.
Well, MI is not the best example, but to see Indy 4 and Runaway get the same grade sickens me. Indy may loose on the graphics side (I do prefer indy's graphics, but I'm being biased here), but on every other aspects it wins by a long range, and so the global grade should be a lot different. (5 for indy and 3 for runaway, I'd say)
Shouldn't it?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:09 AM   #34
Under pressure.

Well, our comunity might be somewhat biased towards LucasArts, but that doesn't much say about AG itself.

The same goes for JA, which forum community mostly consists of Sierra fans. I don't think JA itself is biased towards Sierra.

I guess the forum communities of both AG and JA are contributing a lot to their image. --Yes, we forum people are more important than you might think

--Erwin
Old 11-20-2003, 02:32 AM   #35

Hm, I have to disagree, here, at least regarding JA.
I think they are biased, seeing how Space quest 1 and 5 got an A rating, while Monkey Island got a C and Indy3 Ă* D.
To me, that's blatantly unfair.
Furthermore, I think it's weird that a guy who admits he doesn't like 3rd person game to review MI, or any Lucas game for that matter. Especially stating at the beginning that he knows he is voicing an unpopular opinion.
I mean, I'm fine with controversial reviews, as long as you can find another review to balance it, but here it's not the case; just an infamous C.
I'm angry. Too bad I don't know how to make the appropriate smiley.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:08 AM   #36
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Hm, I have to disagree, here, at least regarding JA.
I think they are biased, seeing how Space quest 1 and 5 got an A rating, while Monkey Island got a C and Indy3 Ă* D.
To me, that's blatantly unfair.
Yes, but DOTT got A, CMI got A, Grim Fandango got A, Full Throttle got A, Indy FOA got A, need go on?

So you disagree with two ratings and that's supposed to make JA biased?

Also note that the scores for Sierra's games are quite diverse too. They're not all getting A and B scores!

Quote:
Furthermore, I think it's weird that a guy who admits he doesn't like 3rd person game to review MI, or any Lucas game for that matter. Especially stating at the beginning that he knows he is voicing an unpopular opinion.
I mean, I'm fine with controversial reviews, as long as you can find another review to balance it, but here it's not the case; just an infamous C.
True, but that's a whole other discussion. I'd lie if I'd say I agree with Ray Ivey's MI and MI2 reviews. But that's just a personal opinion of course.

Quote:
I'm angry. Too bad I don't know how to make the appropriate smiley.
How about:

--Erwin
Old 11-20-2003, 03:40 AM   #37
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
And to say you have to give better grades to adventures just because they're newer and prettier is a nonsense. Monkey Island can be compared to Runaway, and with all it's old graphics, it's still better, on the Gameplay and Sound and story and feeling side. But Runaway gets a lot of hype because it has got prettier graphics, which I think is unfair.
Well, MI is not the best example, but to see Indy 4 and Runaway get the same grade sickens me. Indy may loose on the graphics side (I do prefer indy's graphics, but I'm being biased here), but on every other aspects it wins by a long range, and so the global grade should be a lot different. (5 for indy and 3 for runaway, I'd say)
Shouldn't it?
No. But thanks for asking.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #38

Oh, ok Stinger... You don't happen to have some kind of relationship with the people who give out the grades at AG, do you? Nah, I'm sure you don't. :|

And Erwin, you're right about ratings, it's just that those I pointed out seemed so bizarre to me that I didn't really try to look them all up before I posted. My mistake.

Still, Full Throttle get more than MI? Tsk, tsk...

Oh, and how do you do smileys, generally speaking? Is there a list somewhere? Or do you have to know the shortcuts (if I may call them that)?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:57 PM   #39
Banned User

I think you guys have a bias for Lucas Arts games and frankly I don't care because I have a bias for Lucas Arts games too.

I think you wouldn't convey this if you just tried to review many of the Sierra games that are absent from the site.

I still don't understand what makes THe Longest Journey so amazing...
Old 11-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #40

Er, incredible graphics, good story, interesting caracters, fun puzzles and great length is quite enough, isn't it?