You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback New Hype-O-Meter Update!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 06:27 AM   #1
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak
Default New Hype-O-Meter Update!

Providing that I didn't royally screw anything up, your new Hype-O-Meter update is in town and doing business.

Old HOM:
1.Broken Sword 3
2.Syberia II
3.Sam & Max 2
4.Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
5.Longest Journey 2
6.Legacy: Dark Shadows
7.Black Mirror
8.Midnight Nowhere
9.Runaway 2
10.Journey to the Center of the Earth

Here's the play-by-play of updates:
Last week, #1 was Broken Sword 3, by a long shot. This week it's been released, so it's outta here. In it's place... Sam and Max! What an upset! Syberia 2 is spitting up S&M's dust, for, well, no reason that I can think of. Maybe it's too near release? No, that's not quite right... LSL and TLJ shift up a spot, to fill the void and/or trail of dust left by Sam and Max. In 5th place... a newcomer! Well, sort of. It seems magic and mystery have it that Project Jane-J suddenly skyrocketed into stardom, even though there's been no recent news. Legacy stays at 6th place, and Black Mirror's been released, so Midnight Nowhere and Runaway 2 shift up one. In 9th place, we have TAC's Jack the Ripper! Looks kinda cool. And Journey to the Center of the Earth, well, consesus is that it's no good, plus it might've been released already, so Mystery of the Druids dev House of Tales's Moment of Silence steps up to the #10 spot.

So the new HOM, in case you're too lazy to click on the big logo on the top-left of this page, is:
1. Sam & Max 2
2. Syberia II
3. Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
4. TLJ: Static
5. Project Jane-J
6. Legacy: Dark Shadows
7. Midnight Nowhere
8. Runaway 2
9. Jack the Ripper
10. Moment of Silence

Remember, this is not the official voice of AdventureGamers, but just my lone jet trail in the sky.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-19-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I think LSL should be higher, since that's the one that has actually got any media attention at all lately...
Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 AM   #3
Puts the 'e' in Mark

As you guys know your feedback helps determin the positions in the Meter, so twifkak is now your person of choice to bug about that
Old 11-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think BS3 should be reinstated until the hype starts to die down...

And it's not out in... er... South Africa! Yes thats right, South Africa!
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:45 AM   #5
Banned User

Technical note: I attempted to use the Hype-O-Meter mailto link on the "How Does This Work?" page a couple of days ago to mention that it was time to update, with three of the games on the list having been already released, and I got a mailer daemon back saying the [email protected] addy was non-functional.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Retirement is stupid

Oh holy mother of monkeys, I'm never letting Twif post commentary on the HOM again.

So anyway, let me clarify a few things, since most of this shuffling was my decision:

1. This list does not necessarily rely on recent news...it is simply, at any given moment, a ranked list of the ten upcoming adventure games we are the most excited about.

2. Sam & Max 2 is now #1 because Broken Sword 3 has made it clear that 3D is the future, and this led me to become slightly more excited about S&M2 than Syberia II. It was very close.

3. Project Jane-J should have never been lower than #5 from the minute it was announced. I mean, it's JANE JENSEN for crying out loud. It's previous omission was an error, and it's ascendance to #5 shouldn't be viewed as more than a correction of an error.

4. The consensus on Journey to the Center is not that it's no good; entirely the opposite, actually, considering we gave it 4.0/5. My understanding is that it has been released, which is why it's dropped out.

Jim: Thank you for pointing this out. My explanation is that I'm an idiot; the address that has been set up all this time is [email protected], which is just not smart. So, I will set up the hype address soon; thank you again for letting us know. (and here's a dirty little secret: the hype address is just a forwarder to me, Marek, and Twif, so you could just as well post your comments on the forum)

I'm especially interested to know if there are any games that were left off that you are particularly excited about. Share your excitement, or lack thereof, about upcoming adventures and help us make the already ultra-scientific Hype-O-Meter even more accurate!

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

I didn't mean it as offense. I've always been curious when a HOM update happens, what actually got updated? And this time, I got to find out.

In short, "I've always wanted to do that."

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-19-2003, 01:10 PM   #8

On a future-of-hom note: It seems to me like TLJ2 is getting a lot of forumers pretty antsy, even though it's far, far away, simply because
1)TLJ1 is on a lot of people's Top 10s, and
2)lot's o people read ragnar's blog.

Am I crazy and/or should it be higher than 5?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-19-2003, 05:25 PM   #9

Default My impressions on the list.

This new Hype-O-Meter List looks very nice, and I have to say that I'm excited about almost all of them. Here are some of the games on the list that I really want to play

1. Syberia II: It's By far, my most anticipated adventure game of next year! I loved the first game, and I plan to play it agin so I can prepare for the sequel.

2. Sam & Max 2: This looks like it will be a fun game, but I haven't played the first game in a long time, so I need to find a copy of it. I'll admit this though: The trailer at LucasArts's web site is hilarious.

3. Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude: I'm a little nervous about this game, especially since Larry himself is not the lead character. I really hope that the new developers make a game that's good enough to be worthy of being part of the series.

4. The Longest Journey: .Static: Lots of hope for this game, especially since The Longest Journey is one of my favorite adventure games. Good Luck, Ragnar!

5. Legacy: Dark Shadows: This game looks very intriguing, and I'm anxious to play the full-length demo if it ever gets made.

6. Jack the Ripper: Here's another game that really intrigues me. The trailer is awesome, and very creepy. Plus, I think it's really cool that the game takes place in New York instead of London. I'm a big fan of Mystery Adventure games, and I can't wait to play this one!.

Those are my choices of the games that I want to play next. I can't comment on the other games because I've haven't learned enough information about them, yet.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:08 PM   #10
I'm really Cookin'

Has anybody actually had real hands-on experience with Midnight Nowhere?! It might drop off the list completely if that were the case...
Old 11-21-2003, 03:07 PM   #11
Retirement is stupid

I've had it for about a month but haven't fired it up yet. Tom King is reviewing it and is playing through it now, but hasn't shared any thoughts with me yet. So for me, the hype is still based solely on the trailer and the concept.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #12

hey I thought Sam & Max 2 was going to be point and click adventure, as Michelle Stemmle said.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:24 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Well... if I should make a list it will look something like this:
  1. Legacy: Dark Shadows; still looking forward to play it... new screens look promising, nice guys too there!
  2. The Longest Journey: .Static; anxious to know how the sequel to one of the best games ever will look like
  3. Runaway 2; anxious to know how the sequel to the actually quite nice game will look like
  4. Sam & Max 2; anxious to know how they gonna make this game
  5. Syberia II; now I finally want to know how/if she finds that mammoth, uh... Hans

And I'm also quite curious about Erwin's Bad Timing...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 11-22-2003, 12:08 AM   #14
Puts the 'e' in Mark

The engine of Legacy may look a lot like Syberia, The Black Mirror or TLJ, but I'm not convinced of its quality yet. I'm putting it firmly in the "maybe" category.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:58 AM   #15
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
And I'm also quite curious about Erwin's Bad Timing...
Whoot! Whoot!

And yeah, I'm pretty curious about it too

--Erwin
Old 11-22-2003, 06:15 AM   #16
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I want Syberia II. That's the only game I'm hyped about at the moment. Even more so after Trep's excellent article about symbolism in Syberia.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony