You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Wi-fi leeches! Hate 'em!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
merely human

Default Wi-fi leeches! Hate 'em!

In the past 3 days my internet connection has been terribly slow. At first I thought it was adware and so ran a check using 3 programs (including Adaware, which takes forever to scan!!), but it was still lagging. I then realized - a few weeks back we installed a wired/wireless combo router to accommodate 2 desktops and eventually a notebook (which I use on loan indefinitely). Could it be that someone nearby (a next door neighbour?) is leeching off our connection and is downloading huge amounts of MP3's or pr0n? So I reset our wireless network to have an encryption code, and Voila! My connection speed returned to normal! Bastards!

Anyone have a wi-fi leech story to tell?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

Not really, but there are 3 open APs accessible from my living room.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
merely human

Eek. Those 3 people need to secure themselves.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Leeching? Hell no. How are they to know you are ignorant, you were sending them a signal, not the other way around. They didn't packet sniff and hack into your network, you shouted at them "Hello, welcome to my bandwidth friend."
Old 08-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
merely human

Thank you for your sympathy. And I'm no longer ignorant, thank you.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I could have possibly been more sympathetic, but I got blinded by the insults to people that don't deserve it. How would you like to be called a parasite or a bastard?

Last edited by Aj_; 08-04-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

We have people in our area with unprotected wi-fi. One of the guys has the same router as us and never reset his password from the default. Geoff keeps joking that we should go in and f**k with his settings. (I said no. )
Old 08-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
merely human

Do you know who the guy is, fov? You should let him know as a courtesy.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

We were able to see his address, but it's not anyone I know. The guy lives around the corner. I'd feel weird knocking on his door and being like "Hey, we live down the street from you and we hacked into your wireless..."
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
merely human

You would actually be preventing nasty things from happening, so if I were you I'd do it. If you can possibly find out who he is and tell him he'd be very grateful. Too many times viruses and other malices are spread because people just don't know.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
I could have possibly been more sympathic, but I got blinded by the insults to people that don't deserve it. How would you like to be called a parasite or a bastard?
...that don't deserve it? Surfing for free on your costs, via your WLAN? I'd sure call that parasitic, regardless how obvious an open WLAN is. Analogy: Just because I might've left my house door open does not mean the person going inside and stealing my stuff isn't a bastard arsehole. In the given scenario, I'm an idiot, yes, but that doesn't change the fact the person that came in and stole my stuff isn't a very nice man.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Wifi is meant to be free! Where's your love for your common man?

Also Trep I don't blame you for securing your connection. I love love love when people leave their access points open though... so good for emergency email checkage (my email, not theirs).

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 08-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
...that don't deserve it? Surfing for free on your costs, via your WLAN? I'd sure call that parasitic, regardless how obvious an open WLAN is.
I'd call that sharing.
Quote:
Analogy: Just because I might've left my house door open does not mean the person going inside and stealing my stuff isn't a bastard arsehole. In the given scenario, I'm an idiot, yes, but that doesn't change the fact the person that came in and stole my stuff isn't a very nice man.
Better analogy, if you are walking along a street and a house falls on you, you aren't trespassing. You are being sent a signal, not the other way around.

There are plenty of people who leave their wifi open for other people to connect to as they please. If anything, you are in the wrong for sending them the signal.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #14
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

An even better analogy:
I'm walking along a street and see a house with the front door open. Is that an automatic invitation to go inside and take whatever I want? The open door can be seen from some distance away.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #15
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
An even better analogy:
I'm walking along a street and see a house with the front door open. Is that an automatic invitation to go inside and take whatever I want? The open door can be seen from some distance away.

ScottMate
Only if you're in an adventure game.
Ducks and runs

Lynsie
Old 08-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #16
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
The open door can be seen from some distance away.
More like the door comes to you. Scrap that, they are trespassing into your home, who gives them the right to send unprotected signals to you?

Last edited by Aj_; 08-04-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #17
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I've got a better analogy. Some nice old lady bakes a pie and sets it on the window sill to let it cool. The pleasing smell of pie is wafting all over the place. Someone walks by, a neighbor or whatever, gets a whiff, and stands there enjoying the smell. Just sniffing and smelling.

If you don't want someone else smelling your pie, close your window. And by closing your window, it will make the wonderful smell of pie that much stronger in your home.

This was a brilliant analogy brought to you by me. Your friend.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
More like the door comes to you. Scrap that, they are trespassing into your home, who gives them the right to send unprotected signals to you?
Yeah right. Like those signals are trying steal your furniture and stereo system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Also Trep I don't blame you for securing your connection. I love love love when people leave their access points open though... so good for emergency email checkage (my email, not theirs).

Jake

You bastard!!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Like those signals are trying steal your furniture and stereo system.
Like the guys who are browsing the internet and checking mail are trying to steal your furniture and stereo system.

Is someone who smells your pie, listening to your music, using the water that sprays on them from your sprinkler system (off your property) stealing?
If they don't like your music, smell of your pie, or water then you are trespassing. If they like it then, they are allowing you to give them a signal.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #20
merely human

Yeah, whatever, Aj. Whatever. You can try to argue forever using the most delicious metaphors, anecdotes, and whatnots, but it doesn't change my mind. They're still bastards for piggybacking on my bandwidth.

Anyway.....