You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #3301

Kung Fu Panda

Very entertaining film. Good sense of humour and interesting story. You don't have to be a Kung Fu movie buff to enjoy it. I have seen almost no martial arts films and had a great time. I ended up reluctantly seeing the French-dubbed version so I can't comment on the English voice cast, though I can see how the celebrity voices might be distracting...

Either way, definitely worth seeing, for the spectacular 2D (James Baxter) intro alone.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #3302
The Major Grubert.

Paris, Texas.

How did this film elude me all of this time? Loved it.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #3303
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I finally got to see The Dark Knight. I was hoping to see it in an IMAX theater with my father, but apparently the only IMAX screen in the country is two hours away and my father wasn't willing to take me there. So we saw it in a tiny room with poor sound and with a bunch of kids sitting behind us talking through the whole thing.

Even so, still awesome.

It makes me sad to see such excellence, and then look back at how pointless the current Batman comics are. Why can't they be more like this movie - you know, good?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #3304
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Road to El Dorado
I quite enjoyed this, though it's a pale imitation of Disney.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #3305
Evil Incarnate

Ploy

Probably the best movie I've seen in the cinema this year. Go see it.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #3306
Headbanger

The Mother of Tears

It was enjoyable but not as good as it should have been IMO. Suspiria and Inferno were better. I hope that Argento gets back into shape with his next project, Giallo.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #3307
The Major Grubert.

Layer Cake

Mild Spoilers:

Well shot, acted, and even an interesting screenplay... for about the first half of the film. Then I got lost, not keeping in touch with his various assignments and where some of the characters went. Not to mention the point of the film--don't get involved in the game if you think you can leave it when you want? Please.

No need to see it again.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #3308

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
The Mother of Tears

It was enjoyable but not as good as it should have been IMO. Suspiria and Inferno were better. I hope that Argento gets back into shape with his next project, Giallo.
I'm curious: what version did you managed to see? Here in Italy, they released only a heavy-edited version, which removed most of the violent content seen at the preview in Toronto. A shame, 'cause in this version the film falls flat and uninspired in the middle and last part.

Anyway, both Suspiria and Inferno were surely better, and my expectations for Giallo are very high, also for the international cast (if you're not Italian, you can't understand how awful are latest Argento's film acted )
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #3309

Lars and the Real girl, kind of wierd but I liked it.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #3310
Headbanger

Mongol

Really good, I recommend it. To bad that it didn't won the Oscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I'm curious: what version did you managed to see? Here in Italy, they released only a heavy-edited version, which removed most of the violent content seen at the preview in Toronto. A shame, 'cause in this version the film falls flat and uninspired in the middle and last part.

Anyway, both Suspiria and Inferno were surely better, and my expectations for Giallo are very high, also for the international cast (if you're not Italian, you can't understand how awful are latest Argento's film acted )
I had to check the running time, it appears to be the edited one. To bad, I have to get the longer version. Fingers crossed for Giallo.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #3311
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Les Diabolique

Odd film, although I enjoyed it. It had a good plot set-up, and the characters really worked well together. Even though I guessed the ending halfway through, as would anyone, it was still interesting at the end.

8/10
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #3312
Headbanger

Arn: Riket vid vägens slut (The Kingdom at Road's End)

Really good, much better then the first one. Well worth watching.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #3313

I thought the first one was alright, glossing over some of the depth of the books admittedly but an entertaining film nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing part 2.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #3314

Jane Austin Book Club, boring boring and boring.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #3315
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Arn: Riket vid vägens slut (The Kingdom at Road's End)

Really good, much better then the first one. Well worth watching.
Good! I watched the first Arn movie and I was disappointed although I knew it was partly summarized compared to the book/books.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #3316
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Apocalypse Now

This movie is a creative adapation of Heart of Darkness. It's easily the best Vietnam film out there, at least that I've seen. And now, I finally know where such classic lines as "Charlie don't surf" and "I like the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like... victory" come from.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #3317
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Vicki Christina Barcelona I think it's called. The new Woody Allen movie. I only went to see it because my mom wanted to see it. We both still think Woody Allen is a pedophile married to his "daughter" but I gave in on this one because I love Javier Bardem. He was also in another interesting movie that came out recently called Goya's Ghosts.

I usually can't stand Scarlett Johansson, mostly because I don't think she's that good an actress and also because I'm insanely jealous that she's engaged to the man of my dreams, Ryan Reynolds. But she was ok in this movie. The movie itself was pretty good but I've never been much of a Woody Allen fan, so I've seen very few of his movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497465/
Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #3318

Hell Boy 2, loved it [go Barry Manilow] fab special FX's.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #3319
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

I've been kind of bored with stuff coming out at the theaters lately, so I've been renting a lot of movies or watching my brothers anime when he orders more.

I rented Smart People with Dennis Quaid, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ellen Page... Dennis Quaid is a stuffy, uptight professor who's wife died years earlier. He meets Sarah Parker when he has an accident and they start dating. (she's a doctor in the ER where he ends up) His daughter Ellen Page is not happy with the situation. Ashton Holmes plays the moody distant brother at collage. Her unemployed, unrealiable uncle tries to get her, and her father to loosen up a bit. He's played by the lovely Thomas Haden Church. He is so good, at sarcasm. I have to admit, I have a bit of a crush on Ellen Page, even though she's only 21. She is good at playing uptight moody teenagers. I guess I related to a lot of her characters since I felt like such an oddball as a teenager and never fit in with any cliques. She's just adorable. Hope that doesn't make me sound creepy. It's a platonic kind of crush. Dennis Quaid is good as the surly professor that his students and fellow staff members can't stand.

I also saw My Blueberry Nights recently with Norah Jones and Jude Law. I'm not sure if this is Norah's first acting gig, but she she was pretty good. Her music is played here and there throughout the movie. It starts with her ending up in a little cafe in New York that Jude Law runs, after finding out her boyfriend is cheating on her. Jude offers a sympathetic ear and a piece of blueberry pie while she decides what to do. He also shares some stories with her about keys that he keeps in a fishbowl that previous scorned lovers have left in the cafe. Norah and Jude have obvious chemistry but she decides to leave New York to work as a waitress and bartender in Memphis for awhile to "get over" her ex and figure things out. She writes postcards to Jude, telling him of people she meets and what she's doing. He tries to call different Memphis places to find her, but can't locate her.

Norah meets a poor drunk named Arnie, played by the brilliant David Straitharn, who is trying to drink away the fact that his wife (Rachel Weisz), whom he's separated from, is with someone else now. Rachel Weisz is great as the boozy wife and there are great fireworks between these two when they have a confrontation in the bar. Norah eventually meets Natalie Portman, who plays a card hustler. They have a short adventure. I don't want to spoil the end of the movie. Does Norah return to New York, or does she stay on her adventure? The movie was a bit slow, but great performances by all. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Guess I'm on a romantic movie kick lately.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #3320
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Legend of Zorro
Silly, disposable popcorn fun.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.