You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #3281
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I finally saw WALL•E. It is why I love Pixar, and why I love animation, and why I love science-fiction, and why I like movies. Wowser that was good.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #3282

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I finally saw WALL•E. It is why I love Pixar, and why I love animation, and why I love science-fiction, and why I like movies. Wowser that was good.
I read a story in the paper that had the Coalition of Fat Rights Activists saying that WALL-E was "pushing anti-fat nazism", it this true cause I reckon sometimes people read too much into simple things, and reck it for the rest of us.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #3283
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

It's not against fat people, so much as against people who never move from their chairs. And it's not fat so much as the lack of bones. But it's an easy thing to totally misunderstand, since it does indeed look like a bunch of fat blobs.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #3284
The Major Grubert.

The Dark Knight.

Wow, on so many levels. WOW! Not only is this possibly one of the best action films I've ever seen, the world seems to agree. It's currently #3 on the Top 250 film list on IMDb.

Not just that, I feel that this is the best Batman treatment ever. When you put this one together with Batman Begins, you have a very well developed visualition of where Nolan is going with this, and I like it very much.

Wow.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #3285
Psychonaut

Wall.E

Pixar's latest and greatest movie. Playing on an environmental theme, humans have messed up the planet and have abandoned it to the robots to clean up. 700 years later there is only one lonely robot left (Wall-E).

A robot with a personality that is fascinated by the rubbish left behind and loves watching "Hello Dolly". Desperate for companionship he falls head over heels when a new probe droid appears. Graceful and deadly the new robot (EVE) and Wall-E form a unique friendship that turns to something more.

This film shouldn't work,especially as a kids movie. A stange romance movie between 2 robots set against a planet destroyed by consumerism and neglect by the humans.

However it is absolutly brilliant. Pixar really makes the characters come alive, you will feel every emotion of Wall-E as he courts EVE.

The film dips slightly when they leave the confines of Earth and visit the space station with the fat useless humans (probably to pander to the kid audience) for the faster pace second half of the movie. However overall another HUGE hit for Pixar and probably the best film they have made.

9/10
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #3286
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The Dark Knight

When Christopher Nolan said he wanted to make a crime epic like "Heat", he was not kidding. This isn't simply a superhero movie, this is a huge, bleak giant of a film showing the complete destruction of a city and all of it's population simply because of the actions of one single man, The Joker. No amount of hyperbole could over hype how good Heath Ledger is in this role, he brings a sense of dread into every scene he's in but still manages to keep a really dark sense of humour to it. There's one scene later in the film where he stands awkwardly in a nurse's uniform outside a hospital with a bomb detonator in his hand, and there's this child like naivety to his evilness that makes him far more terrifying a villain that Hannibal Lecter or Anton Chigurh. There are problems with the film, it might bite off a bit more than it can chew with the introduction of another villain 3/4 of the way through and the Rachel Dawes character isn't given much to do except be a pivotal plot point, but the overall epic scope of the film and Heath Ledger's mesmerizing performance make up for any flaws and make this not only a great superhero movie, but just a great movie in general. If they do make a third movie they have their work cut out for them because I don't know how you could top this.

9/10

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #3287
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
The Dark KnightThere are problems with the film, it might bite off a bit more than it can chew with the introduction of another villain 3/4 of the way through9/10
No real spoilers:

Au contraire, the second villain is well set up throughout the entire film and plays well into the Joker's main opus, and the fantaistic new Nolan treatment of that character is greatly improvied (and totally dismissing of) Joel Schumacher's version of that villain in Batman Forever.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #3288
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
The Dark Knight

When Christopher Nolan said he wanted to make a crime epic like "Heat", he was not kidding. This isn't simply a superhero movie, this is a huge, bleak giant of a film showing the complete destruction of a city and all of it's population simply because of the actions of one single man, The Joker. No amount of hyperbole could over hype how good Heath Ledger is in this role, he brings a sense of dread into every scene he's in but still manages to keep a really dark sense of humour to it. There's one scene later in the film where he stands awkwardly in a nurse's uniform outside a hospital with a bomb detonator in his hand, and there's this child like naivety to his evilness that makes him far more terrifying a villain that Hannibal Lecter or Anton Chigurh. There are problems with the film, it might bite off a bit more than it can chew with the introduction of another villain 3/4 of the way through and the Rachel Dawes character isn't given much to do except be a pivotal plot point, but the overall epic scope of the film and Heath Ledger's mesmerizing performance make up for any flaws and make this not only a great superhero movie, but just a great movie in general. If they do make a third movie they have their work cut out for them because I don't know how you could top this.

9/10
The Dark Knight

^ kinda sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Although I did think the "other villian" (Fantastic sfx btw) was kinda wasted. Yes it was set up throughout the movie and it played right into the Jokers plans, but he is a major villian in the Batman universe and probably should be given his own film and not just a bit part.

Heath Ledger was mesmorising as the Joker. He eats up every scene he is in, pulling the strings of every character in the movie even when he isn't onscreen.

No idea how they are going to top this if the make a third movie.

9/10
Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #3289

Looking forward to the new Robocop movie, I know this is the Recent movies seen but I was so excited about this daggy classic that I would pre-order tickets.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #3290
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The Dark Knight

^ kinda sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Although I did think the "other villian" (Fantastic sfx btw) was kinda wasted. Yes it was set up throughout the movie and it played right into the Jokers plans, but he is a major villian in the Batman universe and probably should be given his own film and not just a bit part.

Heath Ledger was mesmorising as the Joker. He eats up every scene he is in, pulling the strings of every character in the movie even when he isn't onscreen.

No idea how they are going to top this if the make a third movie.

9/10
I totally agree with both of you about the "other villain" as well. But my friend has a theory. You know how the first movie hinted at the villain in the next movie being the Joker? My friend's theory is that the last scene in the dark knight movie hints that the other villain will be back.
Spoiler:
You know the part where Batman said that the people of Goutham needs their knight, and that knight is not him but the district attorney? The funeral part is staged and it is there to provide the people of Goutham with a positive memory of the white knight of Goutham, Harvey Dent. He is not dead though and is probably locked up in Arkham Asylum.

Anyway I also give the movie a 9/10. Very well done.

Firefox rules
Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #3291
Stalker of Britain

The Dark Knight

Wow. This movie was just...wow. Heath as the Joker was just so convincing and haunting. He was amazing. I haven't even seen the Batman movies or cartoon, so I know nothing really of it. I went to see Heath's last performance. And it blew me away. It was awesome. I loved how he kept changing his story of how he got his scars. It's so sad.

Step Brothers

Pretty funny. I went with my boyfriend b/c he wanted to see it. It was humurous. Nothing much to sat about it.

And, most recently, Hellboy 2

Again, I hadn't seen the 1st one, and only went for a treat for my mom, you know, she wanted to see it, so we treated her to a night out. It was amazing. Abe was freakin hilarious, so much depth, and the end was so sad. And they didn't even comfort him!!! Grrr. lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #3292
sleeper

Spoilers:

Spoiler:
I liked The Dark Knight up until the last 40-50 minutes or so, then it just turned to shit. Harvey Dent going Two-Face in a matter of minutes. Batman turning all the cellphones in Gotham into a radar of some kind. It was just bad. Everything felt rushed and really unbelievable. It way too long as well.

The Joker was cool, the action scenes were an improvement from the last Batman's shaky cam and, yes, it was darker. I liked that.

Last edited by stepurhan; 08-01-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #3293
The Major Grubert.

Boondock Saints: enjoyable, but not as great as my friends led me to believe.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #3294

I love the Get Smart movie, oh man it was beyond words, I loved all the subtle links to the old show.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #3295
Psychonaut

The X-Files : I want to Believe

I wanted to believe that 10 years after the first movie that Mulder and Scully still had it. That spark that made you watch 9 seasons of government conspiracies, aliens and supernatural occurancies.

Unfortunatly the chemistry between the main stars is the only thing going for this movie.

Ditching all the conspiracy and alien storylines in favour of a straightforward kidnapping story means that it doesn't really feel x-files enough for me.

A Paedophile priest with "Psychic" powers (Billy Connelly) helps the FBI and Mulder is brought in to see if the priest really is psychic and help with the hunt.

A pointless sub-plot as Scully plays Doctor doesn't really go anywhere and the finale is more mad scientist than paranormal.

Still they get in some good references for the X-Files fan, some laughs and it's nice to see Mulder and Scully back together again.

However it is just like an average episode stretched out to movie length. Was hoping for more.

6/10
Old 08-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #3296
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Black Hawk Down

I've been meaning to see this movie for some time, but just got around to it now. Excellent movie. Writing, directing, acting, and special effects are among the best I've ever seen in any movie. Of the batch of war movies made in the last 18 years or so, this is the best. 9/10
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #3297
The Quiet One

The Dark Knight:

Have to agree with everyone's opinion on this movie - it really is a great film. One of the best i've seen at the cinemas for a long time. Haven't seen anything this good since The Return of the King back in 2003. Really thought that the new Indiana Jones movie would be one of them but turned out to be a huge disappointment.

Have to be honest, but i've lost a lot of faith in movies today. The bulk of them are so over-the-top with CGI effects and have no/a wafer-thin plot. Either that or they're chick flicks () or ridiculous american comedies that are supposed to be: 'the funniest film of the year'. At least The Dark Knight had a good story which i also found interesting and there was hardly any CGI effects used. I lost count how many times i was grinning with enjoyment, throughout this film, (not that i was counting) and not many films, nowadays, can do that.
When i first learned about this film, on the internet or from TV trailers, i was a bit skeptical at first. I mean, i watched Tim Burton's Batman when i was younger and was more used to Jack Nicholson as the Joker. I couldn't see how Heath Ledger could top Nicholson's performance. But after watching TDK they're both superb in their own way. Ledger probably moreso in a lot of areas. His performance was just fantastic and the dark humour was still present and was much better too. Such a shame that Heath died. He definitely deserves an oscar for his performance in this movie.

Have to agree with Sotha and thought that

Spoiler:
all the mobiles in Gotham being used as some kind of radar-type-thing was a bit daft.
I completely forgot that Harvey Dent turns into Harvey Two-Face. The name 'Harvey Dent' sounded familiar to me but i couldn't remember. Then when his face gets burnt and he's in hospital with half of his face covered up, it just clicked. I thought it was cool how this new villian came into the movie, but i was disappointed that he wasn't saved for another sequel. Two-Face just wasn't in it for very long and, instead, he was only used for the end section and then died.

Overall, i'd give it 4.5/5.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #3298
Psychonaut

Hellboy II - Golden Army

Superb. Del Toro and Hellboy are a match made in heaven.

Action packed, hilariously funny (funniest Barry Manilow moment ever in a movie) and georgous creature and set design.

The creatures are very "Pans Laybyrinth" like especially the Angel of Death and the Troll market.

Loved every minute.

9/10
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #3299
Stalker of Britain

Gotta agree, Lucien21.

Just saw The Ruins, and it was freaking scary. Not as scary as "The Hills Have Eyes" and how much *that* movie made me freak out, but a nice freak out.
Spoiler:
My favorite character was Matias, but when Stacy was yelling "I wanna cut it", it really made it ironic, since I am a recovering cutter.

Very good movie, although not that scary. 7/10
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #3300
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The X-Files : I want to Believe

I wanted to believe that 10 years after the first movie that Mulder and Scully still had it. That spark that made you watch 9 seasons of government conspiracies, aliens and supernatural occurancies.

Unfortunatly the chemistry between the main stars is the only thing going for this movie.

Ditching all the conspiracy and alien storylines in favour of a straightforward kidnapping story means that it doesn't really feel x-files enough for me.

A Paedophile priest with "Psychic" powers (Billy Connelly) helps the FBI and Mulder is brought in to see if the priest really is psychic and help with the hunt.

A pointless sub-plot as Scully plays Doctor doesn't really go anywhere and the finale is more mad scientist than paranormal.

Still they get in some good references for the X-Files fan, some laughs and it's nice to see Mulder and Scully back together again.

However it is just like an average episode stretched out to movie length. Was hoping for more.

6/10

I was wondering about this. I was a big fan of the TV series years ago and also saw the first movie, but had heard luke warm reviews for this newest one. I don't think I'll see it in the theaters, but I'll probably rent it instead.

I saw the goofy movie with Brendan Fraser, Journey To The Center of The Earth recently. Very predictable and silly, but it was entertaining enough I guess.