You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #2301
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

The Shawnshank Redemption
2 down 248 to go..

7/10

This movie is really not my kind of movie, I just fail to see what sets it apart from other prison movies, and I didn't really feel for the characters..
They play their parts really good though..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #2302
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

We just got back from the theater after walking out of some daft cartoon called Barnyard. It's a Nickelodeon CG film. What a pile of crap this was! It is rare for me to actually hate something enough to where I leave before the film is over, but suddenly life seemed so short- too short to be spent watching such badly written drivel. I'm not sure why the bulls were called "cows" but they were. It was eerie. What a soulless, pointless, dull, unamusing waste of money.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #2303
Citizen of Bizarro World

I haven't seen that, but it seemed apparent even from the previews that all the cows (I assume they're cows because they have udders) were voiced by men.

On a different note, I saw 300 twice this weekend, and thought it totally rocked.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #2304
DAVE

Screw you man, we gotta wait a whole month for it to come out here
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #2305
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
The Shawnshank Redemption
2 down 248 to go..

7/10

This movie is really not my kind of movie, I just fail to see what sets it apart from other prison movies, and I didn't really feel for the characters..
They play their parts really good though..
Wow. This is definitely a desert island film for me. It had a lot more going for it than just superb acting.

The screenplay was great, casting was perfect (of course, it always seems that way in retrospect for the films you love), editing was great, they did an excellent job placing you in the era (sets, props, dialog), prison life details, lighting and music, editing--aw man. To me, it's just a very well done film.

Speck

Edit: I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest again last night. Man that's a long film.

Last edited by Not A Speck Of Cereal; 03-13-2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: adding film I saw last night
Old 03-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #2306
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Went to see Dead Silence yesterday. Creepy, I'll definitely go see it again!! What I loved was, every time something scary was about to occur, the sound would just drop out. Clocks would stop ticking, wind would cease blowing, until everything was just completely silent. Every time that happened, I nearly had a panic attack, lol.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #2307
female animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Wow. This is definitely a desert island film for me. It had a lot more going for it than just superb acting.

The screenplay was great, casting was perfect (of course, it always seems that way in retrospect for the films you love), editing was great, they did an excellent job placing you in the era (sets, props, dialog), prison life details, lighting and music, editing--aw man. To me, it's just a very well done film.

Speck
The story is good, but not especially original, there were so many things that are in every prison movie; a person with specific skills who doesn't belong there, starts out on the bottom and earns his place with his skills, a prisoner that can get hold of everything, a corrupt warden and a sadistic guard, etc..

What I really liked was to hear the story told from Red, he was a very special character, that dragged you in. I also agree on the sets, props and music, it was very well placed, and was very believable.

There are several other things with the movie that are good, but since "asked" I thought I'd write what I don't like..

First of all, I think the supporting characters are extremely under-developed, especially the violent captain. I know it's told from Red's perspective, but I still think it would have been a better directorial effect to further develop the secondary-characters. I would also have liked to learn more about the warden, even though I understand why he did what he did..

Second (and it's really hard to explain this without sounding racist) I feel it detracts somewhat from the reality that there isn't a single racist in the whole prison, either among the prisoners or the guards, in America in the 1940-1950ties.
It's really refreshing to see an actor like Morgan freeman not being hired because of his colour, I've seen him in way to many movies, where it just seems like he's been hired because he's black, but still, I think you can't completely ignore the fact that he's coloured, when you have a prison movie set in the early 1950ties in America, even if it is in the North states. (I also thought there where very few coloured people in the prison at all, especially when they started the sixty - seventies..)

A more personal complaint I had, was that I felt the ending was way to light opposed to the darkness of the rest of the film. for me it would have been better if
Spoiler:
he hanged himself, and the last thing we saw was Red finding the box under the tree.

I also had a different storyline in my head;
Spoiler:
even though Andy was innocent, he still blamed himself partly for the crime, and he had also thought about killing her himself. So even if he wanted the real murderer caught, he still wanted to punish himself, so he had hid his pistol under the tree, and refused to tell anybody about it, and that's what Red found.. I don't really know what made me think of that, but I'm still kinda partial to my ending.. I think it would continue with Red delivering the pistol to the police, and getting Andy pardoned (even though he's dead) and then killing himself, probably in the same way Brook did, but I'm not so sure about this.

But I'm a very negative and pessimistic person, so this is probably just because I don't like happy endings, and I didn't like Andy that much..

But it's still a very well done film, as you said, and that's a big reason for why I gave it such a high score in the first place..

The Godfather Part II
3 - 247 left

Somewhat more long-drawn than the first, but I really liked the looks on Vito's childhood. A thing that irritated me was that it was sometimes a bit confusing at first to distinguish the two parallel stories, and I still can' remember who half the people are (I had the same problem in the first film, but to a lesser degree). I also felt that the bi-roles where a bit under-developed. I also liked Michaels change and how he was made into something worse that what he always dreaded..

8/10

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
4 down - 246 left

Oh, God I hate westerns!
I really can't see why this one deserves top ten. Yes, I'm biased towards westerns, but the actors don't act very well, the score is good and memorable, but way overused, and gets very irritating, when they play the theme music every time something "surprising" happens. The sound effects are horrible and way to loud, and the "artistic" filming is extremely irritating.

4/10

Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #2308
The Major Grubert.

I read a review of the remake of The Stepford Wifes claiming the original was much better, so I plopped that on my queque and watched it the other night.

What a stupid film!
Spoiler:
I thought the plot summary was refering to the wives turning robotic as rhetoric, never suspecting that they meant it literally.
Bah!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #2309
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
4 down - 246 left

Oh, God I hate westerns!
Try The Wild Bunch. It's probably in the Top 250, and it's arguably the best Western ever made.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #2310
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, God I hate westerns!
I really can't see why this one deserves top ten. Yes, I'm biased towards westerns, but the actors don't act very well, the score is good and memorable, but way overused, and gets very irritating, when they play the theme music every time something "surprising" happens. The sound effects are horrible and way to loud, and the "artistic" filming is extremely irritating.

4/10
Those two statements are contradictory. I think you mean you are biased against Westerns. Why are you being so masochistic? It seems watching movies for the sake of watching the top 250 (esp. when they contain genres you aren't fond of) isn't going to be much fun. I guess I'm in the kind of mood where I have to really enjoy something to make myself do it so I'm just transferring it to you.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #2311
female animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Those two statements are contradictory. I think you mean you are biased against Westerns. Why are you being so masochistic? It seems watching movies for the sake of watching the top 250 (esp. when they contain genres you aren't fond of) isn't going to be much fun. I guess I'm in the kind of mood where I have to really enjoy something to make myself do it so I'm just transferring it to you.
Woops, sorry, I slipped on that one, I usually know how to use expressions..
Well, my bf is determined to do this, and it's a bit hard to ignore every film he watches the next weeks..

Besides, I feel a need to watch more movies, to learn more about movie history, peoples favourites and such, and that means watching some genres I don't like..

@ Once a Villian, The Wild Bunch holds place 150, so I will see it, it'll just take some time to get there..

Three LotR movies up next, since we've decided to see the trilogies chronologically, and Return of the King holds the fifth place...

Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #2312
Super Moderator

I admire your determination Panthera! Make your bf take you out to a nice dinner (with flowers...) after you're done.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #2313
capsized.

Lammbock. Again. No idea if this was ever released outside of Germany, but it's still neat. Refreshing dialogue, the great truth of life, Mehmet Scholl's dick, drugs and beyond.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #2314
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

X-Men: The Last Stand
Heavy on the style, light on the substance. Not terrible, and still enjoyable to an extent, but disappointing. And the computer de-wrinkled Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen at the start were creepy.

Also, the DVD transfer isn't very good.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #2315
Elegantly copy+pasted

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is a masterpiece, but there's no point arguing about it, I suppose.

I watched The Host, the Korean monster movie, this weekend. Combining people-chomping and general destruction worthy of any summer blockbuster with social satire and Little Miss Sunshine-style family farce, it is some kind of demented masterpiece, I suppose. Unfortunately, the pace was uneven, with some parts frustratingly dull, and occasionally it seemed like the director was so determined to defy expectations and break convention that he didn't care about creating a satisfying story.

Netflix sent me The Killing, one of Stanley Kubrick's early movies. I found it disappointing. Billed as a film noir, it was really nothing of the sort (though it contains some of the tropes, such as a scheming femme fatale, and much of the characteristic visual style); it's a heist movie. Most of it has been done better in later films. Maybe it would have worked better (certainly on a plot level) if the deadly woman had been better-looking. I would also lose the pointless voice-over and the pointless jumps in chronology.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #2316
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is a masterpiece
Agreed. I do prefer Once Upon a Time in the West though as far as Leone Westerns go. And I prefer Once Upon a Time in America as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #2317
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
X-Men: The Last Stand
Heavy on the style, light on the substance. Not terrible, and still enjoyable to an extent, but disappointing. And the computer de-wrinkled Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen at the start were creepy.

Also, the DVD transfer isn't very good.
totally agree, and also vinnie jones as the supposed colossal 'Juggernaut' was plain crap. i would have expected something CGI'afied because of the scale he should have been.

talking about CGI has anyone seen TMNT movie yet?!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #2318
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13 View Post
totally agree, and also vinnie jones as the supposed colossal 'Juggernaut' was plain crap. i would have expected something CGI'afied because of the scale he should have been.
I also totally agree! I'm probably one of the few who really really really doesn't like The X-men film series! I though the first one was crap, the second one ok and the third one utter crap. I was really looking forward to the birth of The Phoenix. Never have I been more disappointed

Quote:
talking about CGI has anyone seen TMNT movie yet?!
Haven't seen it yet but looking forward! Definately gonna check it out when it comes to the theater over here.

If you like CGI, you should check out Renaissance (2006).

PS: Last movie I saw: The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #2319
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

The Departed.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #2320
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Jane Austen - PLEASE do not go see this movie, go see Miss Potter instead. The Jane Austen movie was incredibly boring and long winded, it had about 3 moments were I smiled from witty humour for about 3 seconds. Lets just say Jane Austen's Novels are more interesting than her life story.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives