You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default Vacation Plans

Flights to and accomodations in Reno are getting really cheap now for my last week of vacation. The question is: Go solo, or take a friend? Taking someone with me only costs an extra 40% and means having someone to say "Hey, look at that!" to, but going solo means much less cost and doing only the things I want to do.
Decisions, decisions.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
merely human

So you're asking us for advice? Is there an undercurrent of invitation in this?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So you're asking us for advice? Is there an undercurrent of invitation in this?
Er...not advice so much as opinions.

While there are many people here who I'm sure would be a blast to travel with and show the sights to, flights for them would be at least double what flights are for me, plus I'd be sharing a hotel room with whoever I take, so I wouldn't want to compromise the reputation of any of the members here. Although I would be a perfect gentleman and would make no advances of any kind, rumors would be whispered nonetheless.
The thing is this: I don't like traveling alone, nor do I want to miss out on my last trip before the holidays. Since everyone else posts problems great and small here for public discussion, I thought I'd throw this one out and see where it lands.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
merely human

Too bad I don't live in San Francisco, otherwise I'd drive out to meet you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Too bad I don't live in San Francisco, otherwise I'd drive out to meet you.
I take it Corvallis is on Oregon's Western side? None of the map sites will work on my computer.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
merely human

It's an hour away from the coast, yes.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Wasn't there a young blond fellow you met on your last trip to Reno? Wouldn't it be easier to reacquaint yourself with him if you were alone? If that's not an option and your cousin can't accompany you, perhaps you should go alone and find an area you haven't yet explored around Reno, and head out in a different direction than you usually do, and try to do different things than usual, or at a different time of day.

Lynsie
Old 07-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Wasn't there a young blond fellow you met on your last trip to Reno? Wouldn't it be easier to reacquaint yourself with him if you were alone? If that's not an option and your cousin can't accompany you, perhaps you should go alone and find an area you haven't yet explored around Reno, and head out in a different direction than you usually do, and try to do different things than usual, or at a different time of day.

Lynsie
That would be Patrick. He's on the agenda, but he'll be working every day except Sunday. My cousin can't go because her kids start school that week.
Hmmm...I've been Northeast to Pyramid Lake and Southwest to Lake Tahoe, so that does leave at least two directions I haven't explored. Going solo is sounding like a better idea already.
Plus I can finally get to go to the National Automobile Museum...Woo-hoo!

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Now if we can only get Trep to drive down and meet you there for a few days, it would be a perfect trip for you!

Lynsie
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
merely human

I really wish I could, but it's out of the question.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Epinionated.

I never got to see Tahoe. Lucky you.

I'm thinking of going to Spain, but my head isn't in gear yet.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I never got to see Tahoe. Lucky you.

I'm thinking of going to Spain, but my head isn't in gear yet.
Several Lake Tahoe photos in my "vacation photos" thread. It's a pretty place, but the water is freakin' cold, even in June.
I thought you were thinking of coming to the US, but Spain would be a lot closer for you. Have you been to Spain before, or will this be a new experience?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
Epinionated.

I toured Portugal last year - sorry to any Portugeuse, but it wasn't much fun... especially down south and it's difficult to find good food there, especially since my ex was vegeterian. Did enjoy Lisbon and the walled castle town who's name escapes me, though.

Out of Spain and the US, they're pretty equal. I HAVE to go to Detroit/Chicago sometime this year, but only after I've passed my driving test. New Orleans was a flight of fancy. Spain is more realistic. Might go to Valencia.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:21 AM   #14
Psychonaut

I'm off to Orlando, Florida in 10 weeks, 5 days and about 1 hour
Old 07-06-2005, 02:28 AM   #15
Squeaky

Well, since you say you don't like travelling alone, I'd say take a friend (why isn't this a poll, by the way?). You can always do just the core bits of the trip together and still do all the things you want to do by yourself. I spent 2 weeks backpacking in New Zealand with my sister last year and it was great. We drove around the South island together and did a few touristy things but whenever we felt like it, we just did our own thing (I visited the Cadbury factory ) and left the other to their own devices. I had most of the benefits of independent travel but my sis was still there for all the long drives and to share a lot of the "ooh, look at that moments".

lol @ Lucien21 - looking forward to the trip, then?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:33 AM   #16
gin soaked boy

I'm not going anywhere special, but at least this year I have something resembling a plan. I'll finally go to Motovun Film Festival with a bunch of friends and we'll spend one day at this trance festival taking place nearby. After that I'll meet up with my best friend and we'll go to Rovinj to visit my grandparents for a couple of days. That's pretty much it. Can't afford more than a week of vacationing, I have a lot of catching up to do with my studies.

Wow, this post seems like a rather blatant promotion of Croatian tourist destinations.
Our government should be proud of me. You see I'm a good Croat so could I please get some tax cuts now?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:24 AM   #17
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I toured Portugal last year - sorry to any Portugeuse, but it wasn't much fun... especially down south and it's difficult to find good food there, especially since my ex was vegetarian.
I think one of their first culinary rules is "Eat the pig, eat the whole pig", much like here. What a royal pain vegetarianism must be when travelling, especially in more rural areas.
Quote:
Out of Spain and the US, they're pretty equal.
You mean it costs about the same to fly a few hundred miles to Spain as it does to fly thousands of miles to the US? Far out!
Quote:
I HAVE to go to Detroit/Chicago sometime this year, but only after I've passed my driving test.
Detroit is widely considered..."icky" by those that have been there (I haven't), but Chicago is great! Chicagoans like to eat, drink, and party, so you should fit right in and have a blast! If Trepsie hadn't bugged out for Corvallis, I'd be planning a trip to Chicago right now myself.

@ simpson_yellow- The idea of a poll didn't occur to me at the time, although it seems rather obvious now. Taking a friend would be cool, but it would have to be a quite close friend if I expect them to put up with my snoring, and I don't have that many close friends around here. Better to fly solo for now.

@ insane_cobra- Wow, Rovinj looks absolutely gorgeous! Take lots of photos and post them here, please.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 07-06-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #18
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I have two options, visit relatives in Houston or going to some beaches in the caribbean... mhhh, the decision should be harder to make.

I would really like to go to Europe (anywhere) but I have a lot of limitations for the time being... maybe next year.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #19
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talas
I have two options, visit relatives in Houston or going to some beaches in the caribbean... mhhh, the decision should be harder to make.
Nah, winter is for visiting relatives. Summer is fo de i-lahnds, mon!

Quote:
I would really like to go to Europe (anywhere) but I have a lot of limitations for the time being... maybe next year.
Same here, London in particular. Maybe next year for me too.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #20
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
...Chicago is great! Chicagoans like to eat, drink, and party, so you should fit right in and have a blast! If Trepsie hadn't bugged out for Corvallis, I'd be planning a trip to Chicago right now myself.
Oops.