You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #41
Friendly Server Admin

Okay, here's my favorite pumpkin pie recipe from cookingforengineers.com:

2 cups (490 g) pumpkin
1 tsp. (2 g) ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. (1 g) ground ginger
1/2 tsp. (1 g) ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. (0.5 g) ground cloves
1/2 tsp. (3 g) salt
1 cup (200 g) dark brown sugar
3/4 cup (180 mL) whole milk
3/4 cup (180 mL) heavy cream
3 large eggs
1 pie crust

Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).

Place a pie crust in a pie pan. With a fork, poke some holes in the bottom of the crust. Bake the crust for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and set it aside.

Combine the pumpkin, spices, and salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat and stir constantly with a whisk. When the mixture heats up and the pumpkin starts to cook, add the brown sugar. Cook until it starts to bubble. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream and milk. Lightly beat the eggs until they're smooth. Add them to the pumpkin (The milk should have cooled the mixture enough to let you add the eggs without them cooking). Pour the whole mixture into the crust and bake until the center no longer jiggles. Should be about 30-40 minutes. Cool COMPLETELY.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Here's a couple of healthy vegetarian recipes:

Winter Warming Soup
3 T. oil
4 sticks celery, finely chopped
4 carrots, chopped bite size
1 small rutabaga, chopped bite size
2 qts. boiling water
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup hulled barley
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. pepper
Sea salt to taste
1 T. chopped fresh parsley or cilantro

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the celery and saute for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and rutabaga and continue cooking for 5 minutes longer.

Add the water, bay leaves, barley, and ground cumin and coriander. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables and barley are soft.

Remove half the soup and puree it in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pan (I would personally skip this-I don't like pureeing soups). Season to taste with pepper and salt. Garnish with parsley or cilantro.

Creole Barley
1 T. olive oil
2-1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 lrg. red bell pepper, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
1/4 tsp. crushed, dried chiles
2 tsp. dried oregano
3 tomatoes, diced
1-1/2 cups hulled barely, rinsed
1 qt. water
1 tsp. salt
1 to 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the oil in a heavy pan and saute the cumin seeds over high heat for a few seconds. Add the red bell pepper, celery, dried chiles and oregano and stir fry for 2 minutes.

Add the diced tomatoes, barley, water and salt. Bring to a boil, half cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Add the chopped cilantro and serve.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #43
with extra cheese!

Does anyone know an ultra-simple vegetarian recipe for one person that doesn't require seventy-two different ingredients and an additional seventeen different spices? I literally can't cook anything more complicated than a fried egg, but would really like to start eating tasty food again...
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:18 AM   #44
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Does anyone know an ultra-simple vegetarian recipe for one person that doesn't require seventy-two different ingredients and an additional seventeen different spices? I literally can't cook anything more complicated than a fried egg, but would really like to start eating tasty food again...
I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US you might want to look into this magazine: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

There's a lot of weird newage crap, but also a lot of good recipes. My dad's been vegetarian for >10 years now, and my parents have subscribed for about 10 years, and every issue has at least a few recipes worth drooling over

(Or, if you're cheap, you can see most of their recipes online )

Here's one I've made that's worked well:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recip...recipe_id=7353

Tomato and Goat Cheese Galette 01-JUN-99 22
6 servings -- Lacto

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced as thin as possible (2 cups)
Pastry for 9-inch pie crust, homemade or purchased
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
2 tsp. coarsely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°F. In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

Lay pastry dough flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Distribute onion evenly on top, leaving 1-inch border all around. Dot with goat cheese, sprinkle with thyme and some pepper. Starting from outer edge of onion, arrange tomato slices on top, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold pastry over topping, crimping dough every inch or two.

Bake until crust is golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Cut into 4 wedges and serve.

PER serving: 163 CAL; 3 G PROT; 9 G TOTAL FAT (3 SAT. FAT); 20 G CARB.; 0 MG CHOL; 131 MG SOD.; 7 G FIBER
Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #45
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Doug, just a mention about pie crusts - the commercial ones are pretty good, but the Pillsbury one you find in the dairy case is made with some lard in it - the vegetarians would want to pass on this one, if they are buying crusts premade.

Lynsie
Old 10-16-2005, 09:35 PM   #46
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Doug, just a mention about pie crusts - the commercial ones are pretty good, but the Pillsbury one you find in the dairy case is made with some lard in it - the vegetarians would want to pass on this one, if they are buying crusts premade.

Lynsie
Yeah, I know. But I'm working on the assumption that serious vegetarians are used to checking for that sort of thing

Also, there's one brand of commercial crust that doesn't use lard. Can't remember which, but it comes in a red box.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #47
Super Moderator

I was watching a PBS cooking show - Everyday Food - they made a Curried Tofu that sounded so tasty. I picked up a few ingredients but need to get some more as I couldn't remember all the particulars. Rereading the past few posts, it's exactly what Shodan was looking for but she hasn't been online for almost a year. The only different thing I got was some snow pea pods instead of green beans.

Quote:
Curried Tofu

Serves 4; Prep time: 15 minutes; Total time: 15 minutes

1 container (14 ounces) firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon curry powder
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1 box (10 ounces) frozen green beans, defrosted
4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
Cooked white rice, for serving (optional)

1. Halve tofu horizontally; then crosswise. (You should have 4 equal squares). Cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles. Arrange tofu in one layer on a baking sheet lined with 3 layers of paper towels; cover with three more layers. Place another baking sheet and a weight on top. Let tofu drain until towels are soaked, about 20 minutes.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook, turning once, until golden-brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining tablespoon oil, onion, and curry powder. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add coconut milk and 1/2 cup water; bring to a gentle simmer. Return tofu to skillet. Add green beans and tomatoes, cover, and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Serve over rice if desired.

Per serving: (without rice): 222 calories; 14.5 grams fat; 12.7 grams protein; 13.4 grams carbohydrates; 3.7 grams fiber
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #48
Creepy Father Figure

I thought I would post a great web sight for southern and Tex-Mex style foods.

Texas Cooking has a lot of great recipes and are close to the recipes I use (I like to experiment when I cook, that's why I have kids) and in the right hand corner of the page there are Grandma's Recipes (mostly Southern fare) and Traditional Texas Fare (A lot of Tex- Mex stuff put in there). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I was watching a PBS cooking show - Everyday Food - they made a Curried Tofu that sounded so tasty. I picked up a few ingredients but need to get some more as I couldn't remember all the particulars. Rereading the past few posts, it's exactly what Shodan was looking for but she hasn't been online for almost a year. The only different thing I got was some snow pea pods instead of green beans.
This is simmering as I write.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #50
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
I was watching a PBS cooking show - Everyday Food - they made a Curried Tofu that sounded so tasty.
YUM. Now that sounds lovely. ;P
Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #51
Super Moderator

It didn't quite turn out for me though (the tofu was the biggest culprit). Trep recommended a firmer tofu (I went with the medium firm - it was on sale. Bad Mel, don't be cheap!). Otherwise, the flavor was good.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #52
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Trep recommended a firmer tofu
I always buy extra firm tofu. It's so great for cooking. You can do anything with it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 AM   #53
Lovable rogue

Tofu should never be consumed, only carved into native ceremonial masks!

Meat is the answer people!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #54
Creepy Father Figure

Okay folks how about some Cowboy Beans!!!

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound dried pinto beans
8 cups water
2 cups barbecue brisket, chopped
1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup barbecue sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Wash beans and pour into large saucepan or dutch oven. Add all other ingredients except the salt. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for two hours, covered. Stir occasionally, bringing up the beans from the bottom.

Tip: If you want it to be HOT, leave the Jalapeño seeds in.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #55
Super Moderator

Man, that sounds good.

I'd probably leave the jalapeno seeds out. I like a little heat but not too much.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #56
Friendly Server Admin

I was going to make an african peanut stew, but I left the recipe at home, so I can't shop for it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #57
Live Slow Die Old

I've been doing quite a bit of cooking for the first time in my life this past year and have discovered just how easy it can be. I used to worry that I'd never be able to make anything that tastes good, but it turns out that all you need is a good recipe and some patience.

For people looking for recipes, I've compensated for my cheapness and lack of cookbooks by using the following sites. They're really easy to navigate, packed full of recipes and have comprehensive rating systems as well as peoples' feedback. Just punch in what you're looking for, compare the different recipes and the user comments below and get cooking! There's some really incredible stuff there!

Firstly, there's epicurious.com - this site gets most of it's recipes from the Gourmet and Bon Apetit magazines which my mom has been using for years.

I also really like All Recipes which has a lot of dishes submitted by its users. This one looks like it would be more hit and miss, although I've always gone by the ratings and have been thoroughly pleased with the results.

Lastly, and I hate to support her evil empire, there's always Martha Stewart's page, which has a lot of relatively easy-to-prepare dishes. I've only used this once or twice, but I've been happy with the results as well.

I hope this helps in some way. I'd post specific recipes, but there are just too many that I like. I do have a killer recipe for soft ginger cookies that's not on these sites though. Maybe in the morning...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
I was going to make an african peanut stew, but I left the recipe at home, so I can't shop for it.

Does this help?

http://www.veg-world.com/recipes/african.htm
Old 01-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #59
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
That's not the one, although Moosewood recipes are really good usually. I hate okra though

It's cool, I'll make it tomorrow. I have some leftover pot roast for tonight anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
I've been doing quite a bit of cooking for the first time in my life this past year and have discovered just how easy it can be. I used to worry that I'd never be able to make anything that tastes good, but it turns out that all you need is a good recipe and some patience.

For people looking for recipes, I've compensated for my cheapness and lack of cookbooks by using the following sites. They're really easy to navigate, packed full of recipes and have comprehensive rating systems as well as peoples' feedback. Just punch in what you're looking for, compare the different recipes and the user comments below and get cooking! There's some really incredible stuff there!

Firstly, there's epicurious.com - this site gets most of it's recipes from the Gourmet and Bon Apetit magazines which my mom has been using for years.

I also really like All Recipes which has a lot of dishes submitted by its users. This one looks like it would be more hit and miss, although I've always gone by the ratings and have been thoroughly pleased with the results.

Lastly, and I hate to support her evil empire, there's always Martha Stewart's page, which has a lot of relatively easy-to-prepare dishes. I've only used this once or twice, but I've been happy with the results as well.

I hope this helps in some way. I'd post specific recipes, but there are just too many that I like. I do have a killer recipe for soft ginger cookies that's not on these sites though. Maybe in the morning...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking/ is pretty good too. It's the site for the Food Network (which you probably don't have there, but is often pretty good recipewise).
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #60
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Tofu should never be consumed, only carved into native ceremonial masks!

Meat is the answer people!
Oh yeah, I don’t eat a lot of meat but Tofu …… *shutters*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I was going to make an African peanut stew, but I left the recipe at home, so I can't shop for it.
Oh yes, I have a friend from Africa, and she made this one night and it was so yummy. A word of advice to everyone, if you have never had had this you must try it.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky