Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recipes Thread (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/8669-recipes-thread.html)

tabacco 06-12-2005 07:17 PM

Recipes Thread

So, there were a few recipes in the old "Do you cook?" thread, but I figured I'd resurrect one dedicated entirely to recipes. Here's one I made tonight, which I partially ripped off from Spaff (or maybe completely, but I think I forgot part of his, so I had to make it from memory, and might in fact be slightly different than Spaff's).

Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce

5-8 strips good bacon (I use the Trader Joes apple smoked bacon)
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
16 or so cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
8 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped (use good ones with juice and actual flavor)
3/4 cup (.18 liters) heavy cream

Cut the bacon strips into small pieces. Heat a tiny amount of olive oil over medium heat, and throw in the bacon. Cook the bacon, stirrriing occasionally, until soome fat begins to render and the meat is cooked (don't cook it to crispy!). If there's an excessive amount of grease, drain most of it out. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer, stirring every now and then until the sauce thickens way down, possibly up to an hour. Add the cream, reduce to a simmer, and cook just until heated. Serve over pasta immediately.

This sauce reheats really well, too :)

Intrepid Homoludens 06-12-2005 07:34 PM

Cripeys, that sounds so good! I'll have to try it soon for me and big R. :9~

gillyruless 06-13-2005 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
So, there were a few recipes in the old "Do you cook?" thread, but I figured I'd resurrect one dedicated entirely to recipes. Here's one I made tonight, which I partially ripped off from Spaff (or maybe completely, but I think I forgot part of his, so I had to make it from memory, and might in fact be slightly different than Spaff's).

Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce

5-8 strips good bacon (I use the Trader Joes apple smoked bacon)
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
16 or so cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
8 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped (use good ones with juice and actual flavor)
3/4 cup (.18 liters) heavy cream

Cut the bacon strips into small pieces. Heat a tiny amount of olive oil over medium heat, and throw in the bacon. Cook the bacon, stirrriing occasionally, until soome fat begins to render and the meat is cooked (don't cook it to crispy!). If there's an excessive amount of grease, drain most of it out. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer, stirring every now and then until the sauce thickens way down, possibly up to an hour. Add the cream, reduce to a simmer, and cook just until heated. Serve over pasta immediately.

This sauce reheats really well, too :)

Doug, would it be possible to modify the recipe so that we veggos could have ago at it? It sounds deliciouse but no bacons for mew so what if I put in some EVOO instead and some herbs like basil or oregano? I'm not sure how herbs will go with the cream part though. Hmm.

tabacco 06-13-2005 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyruless
Doug, would it be possible to modify the recipe so that we veggos could have ago at it? It sounds deliciouse but no bacons for mew so what if I put in some EVOO instead and some herbs like basil or oregano? I'm not sure how herbs will go with the cream part though. Hmm.

I think the herbs would go just fine with the cream. Or at least basil defiinitely would. But yeah, I think if you just leave out the bacon it should be fine. There's not really any vegetarian-friendly flavor substitute for bacon, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Maybe a bit of extra salt, though.

Fairygdmther 06-13-2005 07:39 AM

Actually, there is! Bac-o's are soy protein flavored like bacon. I wouldn't add them till the end, though, or they'll get very soggy.

Lynsie

squarejawhero 06-13-2005 07:46 AM

You guys don't have bacon-quorn over there? I actually prefer it to the real thing.

For an easy carbonara, whisk up an egg or two and fry some pancetta in olive oil with garlic whilst boiling up some tagliatelle. Chop up the bacon. Take out the boiled pasta and whilst its hot add the egg, which'll cook quite quickly. Keep it on the hotplate and stir until it's done. Stir in the bacon and add some olive oil, salt to taste. Finished.

tabacco 06-13-2005 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Actually, there is! Bac-o's are soy protein flavored like bacon. I wouldn't add them till the end, though, or they'll get very soggy.

Lynsie

Yeah, those do taste kind of lke bacon, but I don't think they're an acceptable substitute at all in a sauce, where their texture becomes a problem.

gillyruless 06-13-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah, those do taste kind of lke bacon, but I don't think they're an acceptable substitute at all in a sauce, where their texture becomes a problem.

Bac-o can be decent in some recipes but in sauce I don't think it will give up a lot of flavor so I don't think it will work.

I really shouldn't do this since I'm a vegeterian but since along with kimchi, it's the national dish of Korea, I give you Bulgogi (marinated beef).

If you have a Korean friend, chances are that you have tried bulgogi already as it is the most popular and well-known Korean dish. Here's a recipe for it.

* 1 pound thinly sliced steak
* 5 Tbsp sugar
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 2 buds finely chopped garlic
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 5 Tbsp Mirin (sweet sake, optional)
* 2 Tbsp sesame oil
* 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
* 1 cup split green onions
* 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (optional)

Mix all ingredients except carrots. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Cook over medium high heat until meat is just short of desired completion. Add carrots and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Serve with rice.

This dish is traditionally grilled, but broiling or pan-cooking is acceptable (in that order).

The meet needs to be very thinly sliced and marinated for at least 30 minutes. Do not forget sugar. It adds a lot of flavor to the dish. If you are lucky to have a Korean grocery nearby, the meet department there will probably have sliced beef all ready to go.

squarejawhero 06-13-2005 08:44 AM

Noted. Sounds good. I'm interested in vegeterian meals, as I don't enjoy cooking meat unless it's steak.

colpet 06-13-2005 08:49 AM

Gilly, I would love to have a recipe for Kimchi if you've got one. I downloaded some from the internet and they are all so variable, I'd prefer one recommended to me.
Thanks,
Jo

Jazhara7 06-13-2005 09:35 AM

I am sure somebody wants to post some kind of Pie recipe for me...

I don't want to die without having eaten pie at least once!

- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

squarejawhero 06-13-2005 09:36 AM

You've never eaten pie? Get to York at once! Good pie resteraunt there. :D

tabacco 06-13-2005 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I am sure somebody wants to post some kind of Pie recipe for me...

I don't want to die without having eaten pie at least once!

- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

I will post some pie recipes as soon as I get home. Which, sadly, won't be for a week.

SakSquash 06-13-2005 09:59 AM

Actually, just yesterday I was wishing somebody would start a recipe thread again, but in all my 21 years, the only real thing i've cooked has been omlets, and lately i've been thinking of learning new things to cook.

Anyone have something that's somewhat easy, yet would make a whole meal? No onions or mushrooms please :P

Fairygdmther 06-13-2005 10:37 AM

Tempsie - I've got a delicious chicken recipe that's really easy.

PAM spray or grease a casserole dish or pan 8 X 8 inches (20 X 20 cm)

Using a frozen or drained can of spinach, or frozen broccoli, or drained corn, or other favorite vegetable, spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.

Cut up about 2 med-lg chicken breasts (raw) into bite size pieces and place over the vegetables.

Spread a can of cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom, or cream of celery or cream of asparagus soup undiluted over the chicken.

For the top, either make some stuffing from some stale bread, egg, water, and seasonings ( salt, pepper, onion powder, sage ) or use a pkg of Stove top stuffing mix on top ( follow directions).

Bake at 350º F (177º C) for 30-40 min until stuffing is browned on top.

You can make this so many ways, with different vegetables and it's yummy and easy.

Lynsie

SakSquash 06-13-2005 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Tempsie - I've got a delicious chicken recipe that's really easy.

PAM spray or grease a casserole dish or pan 8 X 8 inches (20 X 20 cm)

Using a frozen or drained can of spinach, or frozen broccoli, or drained corn, or other favorite vegetable, spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.

Cut up about 2 med-lg chicken breasts (raw) into bite size pieces and place over the vegetables.

Spread a can of cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom, or cream of celery or cream of asparagus soup undiluted over the chicken.

For the top, either make some stuffing from some stale bread, egg, water, and seasonings ( salt, pepper, onion powder, sage ) or use a pkg of Stove top stuffing mix on top ( follow directions).

Bake at 350º F (177º C) for 30-40 min until stuffing is browned on top.

You can make this so many ways, with different vegetables and it's yummy and easy.

Lynsie

Oh man, that sounds awesome! I'll do it tonight and let you know how it turns out.

Will the chicken get cooked?

SakSquash 06-13-2005 12:16 PM

Eeek! Which rack do I put it on in the oven? Middle? Hurry, i'm making it right now!

I reallllllllllllly hope the chicken cooks.

gillyruless 06-13-2005 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Eeek! Which rack do I put it on in the oven? Middle? Hurry, i'm making it right now!

I reallllllllllllly hope the chicken cooks.

What are you so worried about, Tempsie? Rare chicken breast is such a delicacy.

:D

SakSquash 06-13-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyruless
What are you so worried about, Tempsie? Rare chicken breast is such a delicacy.

:D

Yeah, if you want to shit yourself to death.

Fairygdmther 06-13-2005 12:27 PM

Between the moisture in the veggies and the moisture in the soup, the chicken cooks and stays nice and tender. Just don't try it with the whole breast of chicken though, you do have to cut it up. Middle of the oven is fine or top, whatever - this one is hard to foul up - it is a very versatile recipe.

Lynsie