You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Once upon *another* time...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 10:16 AM   #41

Well, I still think that sort of music in a 'fairy tale' environment was refreshing. I also quite like that Smashmouth song.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #42
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

To me, Shrek was a "fairy tale" only in the most limiting visual sense of the word. It was set in a world that had the appearance of a "traditional" fairy tale, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. All of its actual fairy tell elements existed only for the purpose of ridicule, and its elements meant to sympathize with the characters (such as the character of Shrek, the woman, and the donkey) were archetypes STRAIGHT out of a standard 90s-era comedy. That's one reason people identified so strongly with the movie, I think; not because it was ACTUALLY anything that original, but because it took extremely familiar characters and put them in a setting that is not typical for those characters, thus creating the impression of being refreshing. The music really hammers this point home for me, as does the dialogue and overall pace and comedy of the film.

Now, there's nothing particularly wrong with this. The above is not a condemnation, it's just that the movie really didn't have that "refreshing" or "original" feeling to me, since I felt like I'd already seen it a million times, it's just that the characters weren't green, and they got around in sedans rather than carriages. Now, one could argue the very change of setting was original--fair enough, I'm not going to try and say that's invalid. But for me it really just wasn't enough.

Anyway, I don't need to carry this on any longer than I have I'm sure I've long since outstayed my welcome in this thread. Carry on!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #43
Banned User

Yeah, well I'm going to be a fascist jerk and say that Shrek was American film garbage with as many cliches and overused jokes that can be heard in a gym class and that I have little or no respect for the people that pay for this tripe. I mean you're only telling Hollywood and the movie business that that's what you want to see more of. We all want fucking sequels and remakes and "breathtaking thrillers." My god, what is wrong with everybody? I swear I could create ten better movies for every movie that has come out in out in recent times (given the correct budget of course) and I have no experience in writing or dialog whatsoever.

Shehfns.

EDIT: And there is no excuse for liking that Smashmouth song any longer. It was only cool to like in 1999-2000. Now it just either shows that you are out of touch with what is popular or that you have putrid taste in music.

End Fascism.