You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Once upon *another* time...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2003, 02:12 AM   #21
soffistical

Well, this "kid" cracked up watching the trailer, lol! *still grinning*
Old 11-09-2003, 02:50 AM   #22
A Servicable Villain

Quote:
I think Marek was kidding Tamz, you can put the dictionary away.
I believe I may have been kidding as well, Tamz
Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I really liked the first Shrek... and after seeing this trailer I'm looking forward to part 2 too...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 11-09-2003, 04:08 AM   #24
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I thought the first Shrek film was ok. I suppose it was sort of refreshing, but I feel that most of its jokes were sort of cheap gags, and the humor was by no means timeless. I haven't seen the movie since it was in theatres, but as I recall so many jokes were based on current pop culture that it's hard for me to imagine it holding up as time progresses. The message was nice (I'm glad they didn't have Shrek become human), but as a whole the movie just felt too commercial for me. For one thing, the use of that Smash Mouth song made me cringe.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer... Damnit, they used that song again. And this is hardly fair because it's such a commonly used sound effect, but I swear to God if I hear that damn "funny way to interrupt a poignant moment" record-squealing sound effect ONE MORE TIME I'm going to put an axe through my computer. Why can't anyone think of a better way to interject humor into a serious scene? Better yet, why can't people just stop using that idiotic cliche?! It's not as if anybody in the world WOULDN'T have expected that scene to have a punchline!

* remixor crawls back into his cave and shakes his fist at the world

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #25
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
EDIT: Just watched the trailer... Damnit, they used that song again. And this is hardly fair because it's such a commonly used sound effect, but I swear to God if I hear that damn "funny way to interrupt a poignant moment" record-squealing sound effect ONE MORE TIME I'm going to put an axe through my computer. Why can't anyone think of a better way to interject humor into a serious scene? Better yet, why can't people just stop using that idiotic cliche?! It's not as if anybody in the world WOULDN'T have expected that scene to have a punchline!
It's either that or the fart effect... I know which I prefer...
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #26

I thought that Shrek was pretty good but I thought Antz was even better
Old 11-10-2003, 02:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil25
I think Marek was kidding Tamz, you can put the dictionary away.
I knew Marek was kidding, I was replying to Flux. Apparently I don't have a very high opinion of your intellect, Fluxie. Sorry.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:41 AM   #28
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Shrek had rather unic story with unic character. I hope that second will not be just another dissapointing sequall.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:30 AM   #29
A Servicable Villain

Quote:
Apparently I don't have a very high opinion of your intellect, Fluxie. Sorry.
You've only known me for about three years, so maybe it's me lol, I don't mind though. Glad I was able to trick at least one person
Old 11-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #30
jaf
big, hairy and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux

Speaking of animation; there's a Spanish 3D-animated movie coming to Holland soon. Have you ever heard of it Jaf? El Bosque Animado (or something), "The Living Forest"...?
Yup, it was the first spanish fully CGI film, I havent seen it yet, but from what I've heard it is nothing special... I plan to rent it eventually
Old 11-10-2003, 11:14 AM   #31
Banned User

Quote:
I thought the first Shrek film was ok. I suppose it was sort of refreshing, but I feel that most of its jokes were sort of cheap gags, and the humor was by no means timeless. I haven't seen the movie since it was in theatres, but as I recall so many jokes were based on current pop culture that it's hard for me to imagine it holding up as time progresses. The message was nice (I'm glad they didn't have Shrek become human), but as a whole the movie just felt too commercial for me. For one thing, the use of that Smash Mouth song made me cringe.

* remixor crawls back into his cave and shakes his fist at the world
Hah, guess what's in the Leisure Suit Larry trailer?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #32

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Yes, I know. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD!?

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-10-2003, 02:18 PM   #33

Am I the only one who thought Shrek's music was a refreshing change from the usual hammy musical songs and pompous orchestras? I thought the contrast between the setting and the music worked brilliantly.

... not to say that such music is necessarily bad - I quite like orchestras actually -, just that this was refreshingly different. Music aside, I thought Shrek was excellent and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Am I the only one who thought Shrek's music was a refreshing change from the usual hammy musical songs and pompous orchestras?

... not to say that such music is necessarily bad - I quite like orchestras actually -, just that this was refreshingly different. Music aside, I thought Shrek was brilliant and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.
Um, Shrek was a comedy movie. EVERY comedy movie uses pop songs. This is nothing "refreshingly different." If Shrek would have been a comedy with an original score and no stupidly-overplayed inane pop songs, THAT would have been refreshingly different. There was very little original material in Shrek. Even those who loved it must have though it was funny, and if you thought it was funny it must be because you caught all of its references to current pop culture. In my opinion, Shrek is about as far from a classic as they come. It's disposable, and relies entirely on the current topical nature of its references.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:34 AM   #35

remix, dyou mean the ba dum ching noise? I can't get the Shrek trailer to work, and thats what's in the Larry one ... *curious*
Old 11-11-2003, 02:21 AM   #36
Head up in the clouds

Quote:
Um, Shrek was a comedy movie. EVERY comedy movie uses pop songs. This is nothing "refreshingly different." If Shrek would have been a comedy with an original score and no stupidly-overplayed inane pop songs, THAT would have been refreshingly different. There was very little original material in Shrek. Even those who loved it must have though it was funny, and if you thought it was funny it must be because you caught all of its references to current pop culture. In my opinion, Shrek is about as far from a classic as they come. It's disposable, and relies entirely on the current topical nature of its references.
Sorry, but I have to heavily disagree to some point. There was a lot more to Shrek than it just being a comedy movie.

First of all, I really loved all the funny cross references to pretty famous action films like Indiana Jones, the Matrix, Highlander etc. and also the references to well-known fairy tales, but then also Shrek completely reverses the usual boring fairy tale clichés:

Cliché 1: The Good are beautiful, the ugly are evil.
Cliché 2: The prince is good, the monster is bad.

The prince is like so many guys who just go for pretty women. And disappear when they grow older (uglier).
Shrek the Oger has bad habits and bad moods, and he has no friends. He explains: It's the people that have a problem with me. They look at me and see an Oger. They run away screaming "help, a huge, dumb Oger!" They judge me before they even know me. That is why I rather stay alone." How real world!!!
And my favourite line: "Ogers are like onions."

Now shut up remixor!

PS: Can you tell, you've hit a nerve?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:00 AM   #37
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Shrek had lots of great dialogue, that's true.

And the concept doughy white explained was great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy white
Cliché 1: The Good are beautiful, the ugly are evil.
Cliché 2: The prince is good, the monster is bad.

The prince is like so many guys who just go for pretty women. And disappear when they grow older (uglier).
Shrek the Oger has bad habits and bad moods, and he has no friends. He explains: It's the people that have a problem with me. They look at me and see an Oger. They run away screaming "help, a huge, dumb Oger!" They judge me before they even know me. That is why I rather stay alone." How real world!!!
...and refreshing.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:38 AM   #38

remix: I disagree. It was refreshing for that setting. Also, those particular songs that were in the Shrek I've never heard used in another film either. And like doughy white and kolzig say... it wasn't all references to pop culture that held the film together. It was a clever satire of fairy tales (particularly Disney versions of them), with good dialogue, interesting characters and situations... and it even touches upon serious issues like social isolation.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy white
Sorry, but I have to heavily disagree to some point. There was a lot more to Shrek than it just being a comedy movie.
It doesn't matter, my point about the music was that it was a comedy. I don't care if it's a crappy comedy or the best comedy of all time. It's a comedy, and most comedies use pop song soundtracks. That's not even an opinion. It's just a rather apparent observation. I didn't find the music refreshing at all. Just because it was a comedy that satired other things doesn't make it NOT a comedy. I mean, it makes it MORE of one.

And Ninja: just becuase you hadn't heard those songs in movies before doesn't make their use particularly inspired. Many of them were oversaturated pop songs that had ALREADY been played to death by the time that movie came out, and their usage in the film didn't really help that. I don't even remember specific titles anymore, but I do know that the last song in the film has been used in quite a few movies, for one thing.

PS: I just did a quick search on IMDB, and it turns out that Smash Mouth song had ALREADY been used in Mystery Men, and it was used right after Shrek in Rat Race. Other Smash Mouth songs have definitely been used in other movies as well.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #40
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
remix, dyou mean the ba dum ching noise? I can't get the Shrek trailer to work, and thats what's in the Larry one ... *curious*
I think he means the sound of a record being screeched to a halt.