You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Show us yer Desktops Part Deux!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 AM   #601
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Flyboy, I gotta say, those are some AMAZING photos! I´m a "hobby-photographer", and I must say I envy you, can I ask what kind of camera do you use? I´m thinking of buying a new DSLR in december, I´m having a hard time choosing between Nikon D80 or Canon EOS 400d..
Thanks!

I bought the new Sony Alpha since it has a Konica-Minolta lens mount and I had a few Minolta lenses sitting around in my closet. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although I don't think it's necessarily any better than the Canon or Nikon. As far as I can tell, they're all pretty much on par. From my experience though, the Sony's best asset is the built-in image stabilizer, while it's biggest flaw is the grain when shooting on the faster ISOs (which I try to avoid altogether).

I'm quite happy I bought it though, since I've been taking more photos than I ever have before in my life. I've never been particularly serious about photography, even as a hobby, until I got this.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 AM   #602
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
rlpw, nice stuff! Some of those photos look pretty familiar (I think I've been spending too much time on these forums lately).

I've decided to just put up the link to my blog so that you can at least get some context for the photos. Feel free to skip through my ramblings to the pics (the blog is just to keep family and friends back home up to speed on what I've been doing with my life).

Enjoy: http://josephbaron.blogspot.com/

Now you know my secret identity!
Thank you Flyboy, Now you know where I put my junk up for the forum! I lack the patience and the camera to take great pics, But Mrs R does a good job. I know they would look better with a little enhancement but I am after all lazy so I do that rarely.
And don't worry about your secret identity, we won't tell anyone... at least till after the credit cards get here (snicker)
Old 10-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #603
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Oh lord, Giligan, I hope you don't actually like that show and that your choice of avatar is somehow ironic. In which case, niiiiiice.

What's wrong with CSI:Miami?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #604
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Caine is cool. And surely it's better than looking like a decomposing aviator, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by Giligan; 10-31-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #605
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Caine is cool. And surely it's better than looking like a decomposing aviator, wouldn't you agree?
Ha! He does look a little decomposy, now that you mention it. I've been meaning to redraw him lately, or maybe draw something new. I'm getting a little bored of that guy.

And Caine is laughable at best. I used to watch that show for the cliche value, but it got a little too outrageous for me to enjoy. I can only suspend my disbelief so far (or so long or whatever). Everything was just too convenient, too contrived, too fake. I hate characters like Horatio who are too bloody cool to ever say goodbye to anyone at the end of a conversation. He's too flawless for me to care about or believe, and it pissed me off that they manage to catch the badguy at the end of every single episode and for some reason they always end up confessing to a bunch of crime scene investigators about murdering their cheerleader girlfriends in the backseat of their media mogul father's lamborghini. What ever happened to the the whole court part of this process? It's just - too much.

And that blond girl who's daddy I hear has enough money to get her a gig in just about anything, makes me want to shoot my TV. The Las Vegas show was okay at the start, but even that became increasingly ridiculous over time.

And speaking of Horatio (and conveniently, Halloween), I dressed up as him last year for a costume party because I thought it was funny. I ended up winning first prize out of about 60 people with pretty good disguises. I'd post some pictures, but unfortunately they're all back in Montreal. Needless to say, my options as a red-head are quite limited when it comes to costumes of recognizable people.

Last edited by Flyboy; 10-31-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #606
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Let me know when you get around to seeing the rest of the pics.
Flyboy, the pictures are beautiful. It's hard to believe you really haven't been photographing much before this camera. I love the green colours of the trees and the grass. One of my favourites is the picture taken from inside a fallen apart building with a brick wall. I also like the way you catch details like in one of the garage pictures (in black and white) with the rope.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #607

Quote:
Ha! He does look a little decomposy, now that you mention it. I've been meaning to redraw him lately, or maybe draw something new. I'm getting a little bored of that guy.

And Caine is laughable at best. I used to watch that show for the cliche value, but it got a little too outrageous for me to enjoy. I can only suspend my disbelief so far (or so long or whatever). Everything was just too convenient, too contrived, too fake. I hate characters like Horatio who are too bloody cool to ever say goodbye to anyone at the end of a conversation. He's too flawless for me to care about or believe, and it pissed me off that they manage to catch the badguy at the end of every single episode and for some reason they always end up confessing to a bunch of crime scene investigators about murdering their cheerleader girlfriends in the backseat of their media mogul father's lamborghini. What ever happened to the the whole court part of this process? It's just - too much.

And that blond girl who's daddy I hear has enough money to get her a gig in just about anything, makes me want to shoot my TV. The Las Vegas show was okay at the start, but even that became increasingly ridiculous over time.

And speaking of Horatio (and conveniently, Halloween), I dressed up as him last year for a costume party because I thought it was funny. I ended up winning first prize out of about 60 people with pretty good disguises. I'd post some pictures, but unfortunately they're all back in Montreal. Needless to say, my options as a red-head are quite limited when it comes to costumes of recognizable people.

I guess what you say is true. Still, I quite like CSI:Miami, as it's enjoyable to watch. Also, it comes right before "House M.D." (which is a lot better), which itself comes right before "Monk".

Better than CSI:Miami I also like "Navy CIS", which comes on Thurdsays, at a time when I'm at choir practice, sadly. But luckily it's now also broadcast on sundays, though it's other episodes.).

-

Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #608
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

NCIS is the one with the weird Goth ferensics woman, isn't it?

I kept feeling that the thing was trying to hard to be weird.

Anyway, CSI: Miami. For some reason I'm not obsessed with CSI, which is a bit weird because I like what I've seen of them (all three versions). Miami is okay, but there's only so many shots of Caine taking off his sunglasses that I can take...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #609
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Flyboy, the pictures are beautiful. It's hard to believe you really haven't been photographing much before this camera. I love the green colours of the trees and the grass. One of my favourites is the picture taken from inside a fallen apart building with a brick wall. I also like the way you catch details like in one of the garage pictures (in black and white) with the rope.
Thanks! I used to have an Olympus OM-1, which I'd bring with me on the rare trip from time to time, although I was always a bit stingy on film. As a result, I never really took enough pictures to explore all the possibilities of photography.

I've been waiting for years to buy my own digital SLR camera, although I couldn't afford one until recently. I never bothered getting a smaller digital camera since I knew I'd be serious enough about photography to want something with a bit more versatility. And now that I have a decent camera, I've found myself taking pictures of absolutely everything. It's a great way to learn about the camera and obviously to improve as a photographer.

I do however have some experience in photography. I went to film school and shot a number of short films on 16mm in the past several years. The basic concepts obviously translate quite easily from movies to still photography, so I'd be lying if I said I never shot any pictures before. This is just my first real foray into the one-frame-at-a-time method of photography
Old 10-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #610
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

So, this thread is proof that people watch shows only when they're realistic?
*glances at username apprehensively*
Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #611
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
So, this thread is proof that people watch shows only when they're realistic?
*glances at username apprehensively*
I'm not saying that I don't watch it solely because it isn't realistic. The problem for me is that I don't buy any of the characters as a result and so there's very little for me to connect to in the show. I might at the very least enjoy the storyline of each episode if it wasn't so incredibly over the top. Every time I try watching it in the hopes that it might surprise me in some way, I get to the point where I say "well this is just retarded" and change the channel.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 AM   #612
Lazy Bee

I love the CSI shows. My favourite is the original CSI with Grissom but CSI Miami and Horatio Caine is just fine as well.
Even though I love the show and watch them regurarely I still agree with a lot of the critisicm. Caine is being too cool and that the sunglasses thing is starting to get on my nerves. I also find the environments too unreal. I really doubt that CSI labs are that elegant. And it's really annoying that Caine and some of the others don't speak with a normal voice. They're all whispering.

But who needs reality?
Watching TV shows (as playing AG games) is a way to escape for a moment into fanatsy worlds.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 AM   #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
NCIS is the one with the weird Goth ferensics woman, isn't it?

I kept feeling that the thing was trying to hard to be weird.

Anyway, CSI: Miami. For some reason I'm not obsessed with CSI, which is a bit weird because I like what I've seen of them (all three versions). Miami is okay, but there's only so many shots of Caine taking off his sunglasses that I can take...
That's the one, yes. Abby is great!

Also, I don't think it's trying to be weird. Abby is the only character that might be considered weird, the others are relatively "normal" (but they're still unique individuals, which is nothing out of the ordinary).

-

Old 11-01-2006, 03:01 AM   #614
Dungeon Master

I love the original CSI. Sure, it became pretty formulaic after first the season or two, but it's still the best non-serial TV show currently in production, IMHO.

Both spin-offs (Miami and New York) and all the clones (Without a Trace, Criminal Minds, Cold Case... I'm sure I'm forgetting some) I found boring and/or contrived and stopped watching quickly (well, I do tune in Cold Case from time to time for some reason). I really wanted to like Numb3rs; but, sadly, in the episodes I've seen, its "maths" turned out a simple MacGuffin.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #615
Lazy Bee

Behold, a Flyboy masterpiece.

Perhaps I should tidy up my desktop. I tend to keep a lot on it. And FYI I'm not the one playing Counter Strike or Half Life, it's my son.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:24 AM   #616
Live Slow Die Old

Jelena, it looks good, but I think you might be stretching the image instead of centering it. It should be the right size to reach both sides of your desktop while leaving some black at the top and the bottom. You can change this in the "appearance" settings, or whatever it's called. That'll leave plenty of room for all the icons, if you want. Just a thought.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #617
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Jelena, it looks good, but I think you might be stretching the image instead of centering it. It should be the right size to reach both sides of your desktop while leaving some black at the top and the bottom. You can change this in the "appearance" settings, or whatever it's called. That'll leave plenty of room for all the icons, if you want. Just a thought.
I really haven't done anything to it other that chosing it as desktop. I like it just the way it is.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #618
Live Slow Die Old

Fair enough then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #619
Under pressure.

I changed mine today:

--Erwin
Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #620
Lazy Bee

....and I thought that my desktop was crowded...