You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Doctor Watson

Default Deep thoughts

"You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice anything else for it."

How does that make sense?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
merely human

That mean I can't have dessert AND main course?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #3

Pretty much means that anything is within your grasp, it just might require you to focus on only that one thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

hmm yea...Grace Jones will never be my pimp
Old 02-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
merely human

You can always be your own pimp, hon.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Doctor Watson

Well, maybe I just think that stating something like that is pointless. Still doesn't make any sense to me, and I think some people I know are misinterpreting it. Maybe.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
merely human

I see your point. If you pursue what you've always wanted, it's not even a matter of sacrificing anymore. A sacrifice presupposes a very high value given to whatever is being sacrificed, and if you deem something conflicting not as important or unimportant compared to what you are truly pursuing, you are not sacrificing that thing. Now, it WOULD be a sacrifice if you gave up on your dream to pursue something far less valuable and satisfying than that dream.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I see your point. If you pursue what you've always wanted, it's not even a matter of sacrificing anymore. A sacrifice presupposes a very high value given to whatever is being sacrificed, and if you deem something conflicting not as important or unimportant compared to what you are truly pursuing, you are not sacrificing that thing. Now, it WOULD be a sacrifice if you gave up on your dream to pursue something far less valuable and satisfying than that dream.
Well there can be different types of wants.

For example getting something you really want might require the absence of any "physical pleasures" (if you know what I mean ) so even though you might even consider the goal worth it, there may be times when you regret what you missed out on.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
merely human

That depends on how strongly you value whatever it is you're pursuing that requires you abandon those 'physical pleasures'. If you absolutely cannot do without those pleasures, then you probably do not value your pursuit to the point where you choose to forgo those pleasures. You also value those pleasures as much, if not more so, than what you were pursuing that requires you give them up.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
That depends on how strongly you value whatever it is you're pursuing that requires you abandon those 'physical pleasures'. If you absolutely cannot do without those pleasures, then you probably do not value your pursuit to the point where you choose to forgo those pleasures. You also value those pleasures as much, if not more so, than what you were pursuing that requires you give them up.
But like I said you might value the pursuit more, but that doesn't change that you may regret what you missed.

Even when something was worth it, you may still want what you missed.

Humans as a whole want everything, the cake, presents and the party.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #11
merely human

Of course. You needn't rule out regrets and guilt, but they are in proportion to how much you value them, and how much you get back from what it is you are pursuing that requires you give up certain pleasures. You are, for example, on the threshold marrying someone. This requires you to devote the rest of your life to her, regardless of your recent life as a freewheeling bachelor. You regret you won't be able to date other women from now on, but how much to do you value your future wife in proportion to what you had before? Will your marriage be worth leaving your old life behind? It's obvious that you value your future wife more than your single life, and if your investment pays off those regrets will vanish in time.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Of course. You needn't rule out regrets and guilt, but they are in proportion to how much you value them, and how much you get back from what it is you are pursuing that requires you give up certain pleasures. You are, for example, on the threshold marrying someone. This requires you to devote the rest of your life to her, regardless of your recent life as a freewheeling bachelor. You regret you won't be able to date other women from now on, but how much to do you value your future wife in proportion to what you had before? Will your marriage be worth leaving your old life behind? It's obvious that you value your future wife more than your single life, and if your investment pays off those regrets will vanish in time.
Couldn't have put it better myself.