You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat January 27th, 1945

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default January 27th, 1945

Today marks the sixtieth anniversary of liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the biggest and most infamous concentration camp. For anyone reading this, whatever you are doing now, please pause for a moment and think about over a million human beings that have been brought to death. Think about destructive power of hatred. Do what you can to make sure that the seed of such hatred is never present in hearts of yours and of people you know.

Thank you.

They say hatred is blind. Blind?
With eyes sharp as a sniper's,
she looks bravely into the future
-- she alone.

Wisława Szymborska
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

In risk of coming across like a total jerk and ruining my friendship with you: No.

What happened back then was horrible. But as a german, I'm a bit sick of getting told what my ancestors did wrong, paticularily given my own philosophies are something like the polar opposite. These days, the only thing that the past has brought us germans is not regret, but a work around on free speech. If you slag off a jew (not because he's one, just maybe because that one individual is a jerk) here, you're automatically a Nazi, and vice versa must always be tolerated.

I seriously don't condone what happened. But I'm not about to repeat it, neither is anyone else I know, yet at the same time, we've got this taboo forced on us. Draw a swastika and you're out. That's how it works.

I'm just sick of that. Nevermind that if something is repeated often enough, it loses it's value - and in the case of my country's past, having it lose it's deeply meaningful qualities may just be exactly what we're trying to avoid, here.

In short: Auschwitz was horrible, and it should have never existed. This country made a serious mistake back in the early years of the 20th century. It's shown how fragile democracy is. It's shown how much people look for scapegoats (and what terrible acts they're capable of).

Let's not jinx it.

However, I appreciate your thoughts. And I won't stop anyone else from complying.

(If a moderator finds this post is inacceptable, please remove it. I can understand.)

Last edited by pinkgothic; 01-27-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I'm a bit sick of getting told what my ancestors did wrong, paticularily given my own philosophies are something like the polar opposite.
Erm... I assume you mean your own philosophies are the polar opposite of what your ancestors did - or do you mean your own philosophies are the polar opposite of finding that wrong?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Former. Sorry, yes, that was a big ambiguous.... if you tear it out of context like that.

BoyToy
Old 01-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
furryyellowthing

As a matter of fact, when you read your post for the first time, it is not out of context - because it's pretty much the first thing you say in your post. Only when you read on, it starts to become a context, which can give the reader an idea of your true opinion.

I don't think you should pan me for that.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Um, what? Pardon? Context = entire post. No matter how much you want to think otherwise, honey. You won't call a book's cover its context, either. So... accept the pan like it accepts you.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
furryyellowthing

Whether you'd call that context or not is nitpicking.

The point is: When you've only just read so far, your post can easily be misunderstood.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Yup, that's right. But it's still tearing it out of context. And I never debated that it is ambiguous without the rest of the post.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
furryyellowthing

So let me do the nitpicking:
I don't think I deserved to be panned for bringing that to your attention?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Feind der Anonymitaet!

No, probably not. But you rarely give me even the remotest chance to use a pan on you, I couldn't resist.

I was hoping you could chuckle about it.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
Doctor Watson

I will report the two of you.

Anyway, I can't help it, but when someone mentions concentration camps, I start thinking of the pink triangle instead of the star of david. Huh.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
Dungeon Master

pinkgothic: I'm not offended. I am, in fact, genuinely sorry, because the last thing I wanted to achieve was my post being read as offensive - to anyone. I am not usually keen on giving great historical speeches or sermons etc., I just thought the occasion is worth... something. I guess I should have restrained from typing anything.

I apologize.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I apologize.
Ack, ack, ack! Nonono! Don't do that.

Like I said, I appreciate those thoughts; I just felt I should voice that it is often seen as a bad thing if us germans don't honour a request like this. "Nazi" is a phrase I've heard a couple of times during my online ventures. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That doesn't invalidate your thoughts at all, AFGNCAAP. There are enough people in the world who don't get to hear it every day and for whom I'm sure this would be a good moment to sit down and think about it.

Edit: And for clarification, I wasn't offended. I'm really sorry for having given that impression. I know my rants can go a bit overboard sometimes, but now THAT is something I don't seem to be able to learn...
Old 01-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #14

What gets me is that because what happened was so atrocious people seem to block out that it could just as well happen again.

Hitler was elected democratically you know...

Any time any comparison is made with what the Nazis did there's this kneejerk reaction that 'nothing could ever again be as evil as that' which I think is a very dangerous attitude. The nazis did not rise from the depths of hell or some shit... Something drove these people to do what they did. We can't learn from the past if we focus only on what happened and ignore the how and why.

I find the fact that populist politicians all around the world can still get elected with thinly veiled xenophobia and blatant propaganda extremely worrying.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #15
furryyellowthing

Yeah, I guess in Germany itself the effect of remembering is a bit different, cause it's almost omnipresent and gets done very often. Thus it can wear off and lose effect. (Or can even have counter-productive effects on some people.)

Also, when those moments are getting 'prescribed', poeple will sometimes tend to 'fake' their remembrance. (It's similar with prescribed happiness, btw.)

I think today is a good moment to remember and think, for people who have yet rarely thought about the whole matter of holocaust and how it could happen. (The most shocking realization probably being that it emerged from democracy.)
Old 01-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Any time any comparison is made with what the Nazis did there's this kneejerk reaction that 'nothing could ever again be as evil as that' which I think is a very dangerous attitude.
*treads on thin ice? : *
George W. Bush comes to mind. Not quite so radical (yet?!), but I do fear a similarity...
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Any time any comparison is made with what the Nazis did there's this kneejerk reaction that 'nothing could ever again be as evil as that' which I think is a very dangerous attitude.
Yeah, couldn't agree more, Ninja!!!

Only when the majority of the population on earth has made the same realization as you, we can be rather sure it won't happen again. (And I fear that's not the case yet.)
Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
*treads on thin ice? : *
George W. Bush comes to mind. Not quite so radical (yet?!), but I do fear a similarity...
Well, that's what I've been saying...

Thing is, something doesn't have to be exactly identical to justify comparisons.

Rumsfeld wipes his ass with the Geneva Convention. He has people tortured in Iraq and Cuba as a matter of policy and Bush randomly bombs just about anything Karl Rove figures they can label a terrorist target. They invaded Iraq because Saddam just annoyed them too damn much and they could do with some oil...

I could go on.

My housemate pointed out that something like the holocaust could not happen without everyone knowing about it pretty fast and immediately putting a stop to it, but what if the most powerful country in the world does something like that? What then?

Do we hold a conference in Brussels and politely suggest to Bush that he stops being such a nazi?

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 01-27-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #19

Quote:
What happened back then was horrible. But as a german, I'm a bit sick of getting told what my ancestors did wrong, paticularily given my own philosophies are something like the polar opposite.
Remembrance is a duty, not as an expiation for the sins of your ancesters (and mine), but as a lesson of life for the present and the future.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #20
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Remembrance is a duty, not as an expiation for the sins of your ancesters (and mine), but as a lesson of life for the present and the future.
Remembering isn't going to help anyone if they do it so often that it loses it's value. And this happens. Remembering is going to be useless if people don't actually use it to analyse the present day. Those lessons are what's important. And those people who've already learnt them don't have a duty, at all, in my opinion. That's like saying learn the alphabet over and over again once you've got it right. In the case of the alphabet, okay, that's a logical construct, that won't lose it's value, but this is a strongly emotional topic, and it wears off. And that is dangerous. IMO.