You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
No justice. Only me.

Default The Facebook.com

Okay, this may sound kinda weird, but I've been obsessed with this site ever since it was started, and I was wondering....

Are there any other members here who are attending, or are alumni of, a college that has been entered on thefacebook.com? I figure the chances are pretty good, considering the number of colleges on it now, and the number of people on this forum. I figured it would be cool to have a few AGers on my friends list.

You could post your name and college here, but considering that this forum is pretty public, you may just want to PM that info. Since it's just my name and college, though, I'm fine with posting it here if anyone wants to add me to their list.

Sam Beattie
Dartmouth College
Old 12-02-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
Liver of Life

I haven't been particularly obsessed with this site, but it's fun to look through and find people with similar interests and in the same classes, and it makes one hec of an address book.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 02-21-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I see my school on there, but I am not registered.

What's the point of the site? Is it like Classmates? I can't really figure out too much about it without registering (or so it seems).

-emily
Old 12-03-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I see my school on there, but I am not registered.

What's the point of the site? Is it like Classmates? I can't really figure out too much about it without registering (or so it seems).

-emily
Basically it serves as an online directory for your school. You can see all the other people at your school and any information they choose to include. (It's a great stalker tool. ) You make a friends list of anyone who's registered, from any school, and then you can see their profile as well. It's adding new features all the time, like little message boards on everyone's profile so friends can leave comments.

You need a school e-mail address to register, though.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Liver of Life

It also lets you keep in touch with old classmates who may have gone to other colleges, which is great. Yeah, it's probably like classmate or the numerous other similar online directory things out there, but thefacebook is a lot better, IMHO. It seems more simple, less convoluted. More powerful, in that it not just lets you keep in touch with old friends but helps you make new ones. My roommate is a big Halo fan, and if it weren't for the Facebook, he wouldn't have known that 3 other people on our floor were also big Halo fans! Maybe he would've found out eventually, but it was fast this way.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Hmm. I have a school email address but I'm careful about using it for anything to avoid spam... curiosity may get the better of me, though.

I always found the whole 'facebook' concept to be a little creepy... like, who came up with THAT idea? But they were really useful. We had one when I entered my freshman year. I didn't buy it (thought it was a dumb concept) but then found myself referring to others' facebooks for years. I guess sometimes you just really want to know what someone looks like. Of course, by the time we graduated none of us really looked like we did in those pictures (thank god)...

-emily
Old 12-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
Liver of Life

Is that aka 'yearbook'?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

No, when we enrolled we had to send in a picture for the facebook, and the pictures of all the incoming freshmen were put in this nicely bound (paperback) book that you could buy for like $35. It listed home addresses and what dorm you were in. They only did it for freshmen.

We had a senior yearbook too, which was sent to us after graduation, but the point of the facebook was to be able to identify people while you were in school with them. It sounds like the same concept as this website, it was just on paper (and obviously, not dynamic).

I guess Berkeley doesn't have this?

-emily

ps I went poking on Brown's website and it appears they still do the paper one but also do an e-facebook. That's new since I graduated... it probably just links to this facebook.com site. And I was wrong about the price, they were only like $10. Ahh, how times have changed...

Last edited by fov; 12-03-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
Liver of Life

Yeah, we don't have this paperback thingy with just photos. Or maybe I just didn't turn in a photo and buy one. It probably wouldn't have done very well either given e-stuff like this going around now.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
No justice. Only me.

Dartmouth freshmen all get given a little paperback facebook too every year. But that's just your year, who doesn't have friends in other years?

As for spam, I haven't seen my spam count increase much since I joined. (Unlike Classmates.) I also have a fair amount of trust for the creators, since one of them was a year ahead of me at my high school, and by all accounts, was a great guy. (Although I didn't know him personally.)
Old 12-03-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Dartmouth freshmen all get given a little paperback facebook too every year. But that's just your year, who doesn't have friends in other years?

As for spam, I haven't seen my spam count increase much since I joined. (Unlike Classmates.) I also have a fair amount of trust for the creators, since one of them was a year ahead of me at my high school, and by all accounts, was a great guy. (Although I didn't know him personally.)
I looked for you CR but couldn't find you. Are you sure you spelled your name right??
Old 12-03-2004, 06:59 PM   #12
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Unbelievable. I had never heard of this before today. And just today this girl in my class was going on and on about this site. And tonight I see this. Synchronicity is awesome.

So yeah, Pitt is on the face book apparently. I don't know if I'm really interested in registering, though.

mag
Old 12-03-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
I looked for you CR but couldn't find you. Are you sure you spelled your name right??
Try again. I just did the search myself and sure enough, I do exist. I'm not just a figment of my imagination. Make sure you click on "Global" to do a global search, and then search under Dartmouth.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #14
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Hmm. I have a school email address but I'm careful about using it for anything to avoid spam... curiosity may get the better of me, though.
Wait a minute. You get e-mail to your school account that isn't spam?

mag
Old 12-03-2004, 07:39 PM   #15

Hey thanks for the link, this site is awesome! I hope they start adding international schools, though. Anyways, if anyone wants to add me, here's my info.

Dustin Stevens
UC Irvine
Old 12-03-2004, 07:47 PM   #16

Does anybody have any idea what the poking feature does?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:19 PM   #17
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Does anybody have any idea what the poking feature does?
See their FAQ. Basically, it does nothing but tell the other person that you poked them.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
See their FAQ. Basically, it does nothing but tell the other person that you poked them.
Ahh, I see, thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #19
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Ahh, I see, thanks
Good to know. I thought poking was how you said, "Do you wanna be my friend."
Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #20
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Wait a minute. You get e-mail to your school account that isn't spam?
Yes, but I hardly ever give it out. That address just goes out to people who I hardly ever talk to and don't want to have to tell every time I change ISPs, and on resumes and writing that I send out. It forwards to my Comcast mail and I have not (yet) received a single piece of spam through it.

I agree with the comment about the facebook only being for freshmen, that's what was kind of dumb about it. Putting it online like this seems like a really good idea. I'd probably be a lot more into it if I were still in school.

-emily