You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat My new travel article (that I want you to read!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Dread Pirate

Default My new travel article (that I want you to read!)

So in addition to my secret life as a wannabe adventure game designer, I write for a travel website in my day job. Specifically, I write a semi-monthly column on adventure travel. And, I'd love for it to get some exposure and have some people see and read my work. So please, if you're at all interested, take a gander over here: Secrets of the Grand Canyon.

Oh, and to make this kinda relevant to adventure gamers out there, look for a new Adventure Architect column later this month at AdventureGamers.com.

Thanks!
Josh
Old 12-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios
So in addition to my secret life as a wannabe adventure game designer, I write for a travel website in my day job. Specifically, I write a semi-monthly column on adventure travel. And, I'd love for it to get some exposure and have some people see and read my work. So please, if you're at all interested, take a gander over here: Secrets of the Grand Canyon.

Oh, and to make this kinda relevant to adventure gamers out there, look for a new Adventure Architect column later this month at AdventureGamers.com.

Thanks!
Josh
Nice piece. I couldn't help noticing the AG lingo though--from the header ("Grand Canyon: Secrets and strategies for the great American adventure"--can someone make a game or game guide called this?!) to this awesome passage that reminded me of a game (was all I could do not to run the mouse over it):

Another mile down the trail sits the impossibly tall Mooney Falls, named after a drunken cowboy who fell to his death there, and punctuated in places by signs warning hikers to “use extreme caution” and “proceed at your own risk.” It’s a bewildering hive of narrow caves, wet rocks, slippery ladders, iron handholds, and rusted chains, all carved into and out of the 200-foot high sandstone cliffs. It calls out to our inner Indiana Jones, and as obstacle courses go, it’s unmatched.

Mooney Falls can be viewed and enjoyed safely from above, where the trail loops around to offer ideal vantage points for photographers. But the warren of caves and ladders is the only route for those wishing to continue following the falls deeper into the canyon (as I did). Especially daring adventurers might attempt to navigate the numerous dead ends and false trails from here, but there is the return hike to consider as well. Depending on the time of day, it might be important to save your energy for the climb back to the lodge or campground. You’re sure to need it.

Congrats!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Another mile down the trail sits the impossibly tall Mooney Falls, named after a drunken cowboy who fell to his death there, and punctuated in places by signs warning hikers to “use extreme caution” and “proceed at your own risk.” It’s a bewildering hive of narrow caves, wet rocks, slippery ladders, iron handholds, and rusted chains, all carved into and out of the 200-foot high sandstone cliffs. It calls out to our inner Indiana Jones, and as obstacle courses go, it’s unmatched.
I know, that's SO going in my game!

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Hey, looks pretty good. Kinda makes me want to take a trip out to Arizona. My only question is this. Are there any options for somebody at the skill level of just above a parapalegic? Hmmm...on second thought, maybe I should stick to adventure games. Sounds like a pretty sweet job, though.

Quote:
Oh, it's okay. I'm sure no one minds. Besides, Mr. Spam likes the thread. Isn't that right, Mr. Spam?

heh heh...just kidding.

mag