You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat False Sex Education

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
comfortably numb

Default False Sex Education

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=6973493

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Youngsters participating in federally funded abstinence-only sex-education courses frequently receive inaccurate or misleading information, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

According to a congressional staff analysis, some courses teach that touching a person's genitals can lead to pregnancy, abortion can lead to sterility and suicide, and half the gay male teenagers in the United States have tested positive for the AIDS virus, the Post said.

The report, prepared for California Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman, reviewed the curricula of more than a dozen projects aimed at preventing teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease, the Post said.

The Bush administration will provide $170 million next year to groups that teach abstinence only. Several million children age 9 to 18 have participated in more than 100 federal abstinence programs since they began in 1999.

The report found that 11 of the 13 most commonly used curricula in such programs contained unproved claims, subjective conclusions or outright falsehoods regarding reproductive health, the Post said.

Waxman's staff found the curricula included misconceptions such as a 43-day-old fetus is a "thinking person," HIV can be spread through tears and sweat and condoms failed to prevent HIV transmission in 31 percent of the time in heterosexual intercourse, the Post said.

"I have no objection to talking about abstinence as a surefire way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. I don't think we should lie to our children about science," Waxman told the newspaper.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
Doctor Watson

That is... that is just amazing. *disgusted smile* However, sex education never helped me anyway even when it wasn't deceit and lies. But then again, I didn't belong to the target audience.

Last edited by deadworm222; 12-02-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:17 AM   #3

This is probably not the best way to prevent AIDS.. perhaps the best way to help spread it.. but.. oh never mind, the U.S. stopped making sense a long time ago.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

They're probably doing us a favor by trying to kill off the world population.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
Doctor Watson

Actually I'd want to see one of those presentations... For the laughs.

Last edited by deadworm222; 12-02-2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Sigh. This article makes me really sad.

Studies also show that kids who have made an "abstinence pledge" and later change their minds (for whatever reason) are way more likely to get pregnant or contract STDs than kids who never made the pledge, because kids who did make the pledge don't carry condoms with them.

-emily
Old 12-02-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Sigh. This article makes me really sad.

Studies also show that kids who have made an "abstinence pledge" and later change their minds (for whatever reason) are way more likely to get pregnant or contract STDs than kids who never made the pledge, because kids who did make the pledge don't carry condoms with them.

-emily
Yes, this is very sad. Those studies you cite are interesting. It also can't possibly help them if they are getting totally inaccurate information about STDs--like, why if they decided to "break the pledge" and even decided to be fairly responsible about it would they rely on condoms if they had been taught that condoms weren't effective at protecting against STDs? This is just so, so, so not good.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
Under pressure.

Keeping people dumb is the most insane idea ever. Look at Africa, where some people even believe having sex with babies will cure them from AIDS.

Education is everything.

--Erwin
Old 12-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #9

I think it was virgins, not babies.

See it's so disturbing ironic it must be true.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #10
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Look at Africa, where some people even believe having sex with babies will cure them from AIDS.
Wait, that isn't true?

(OK, yes, even *I'm* disgusted with myself for that. )
Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #11
No justice. Only me.

Well, at least when the Law of the Jungle starts to really kick in a few generations down the line, my descendants should still be around to help save the Earth. (Those future kids of mine had damn well better teach their kids what I'm going to teach them or I'm going to give them an Ass-Whupping From Beyond.)
Old 12-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #12
Homer of Kittens

"courses teach that touching a person's genitals can lead to pregnancy"

That is hillarious... Hey don't touch youself. You'll get pregnant and your father's child will be "YOUR OWN FINGERS"

Firefox rules
Old 12-03-2004, 10:37 AM   #13
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
"courses teach that touching a person's genitals can lead to pregnancy"

That is hillarious... Hey don't touch youself. You'll get pregnant and your father's child will be "YOUR OWN FINGERS"

(My brain boggling at the concept.)

This stuff sounds like the stuff the kids in my neighborhood used to tell each other before we'd HAD sex ed or "the talk" and were speculating wildly . . . Heck why even bother, why not let kids just make stuff up.