You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat screenshot help needed - Mac or PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default screenshot help needed - Mac or PC

How can I take a screenshot of a DOS game that only runs in full screen mode? I'm using the PrintScreen button but it's not working. I looked for third party software and some claims to work in DOS windows but not full screen. I can't find a way to run the game in a smaller window. (It's Secret of Monkey Island, by the way.)

Or alternatively, how can I take a screenshot in OSX of an app that runs in Classic, without the screenshot looking like crap? Classic switches to 256 colors when I run the game. I tried changing OSX to 256 colors and leaving it with 32 bit color, and in both cases the screenshots came out with the colors all screwed up.

-emily
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
How can I take a screenshot of a DOS game that only runs in full screen mode? I'm using the PrintScreen button but it's not working. I looked for third party software and some claims to work in DOS windows but not full screen. I can't find a way to run the game in a smaller window. (It's Secret of Monkey Island, by the way.)
I can take screenshots of Monkey Island fine when I run it through ScummVM. I'm not sure of any other way to take shots in DOS though, sorry.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
Jen

I've had good luck in getting screenshots from a couple of otherwise impossible DOS games by running the game via the Win98 version of Virtual PC on an iMac with OS9 and then using the Mac's built-in screen capture. You probably don't have the VPC, though, huh?

There's Hypersnap from hyperionics.com, which is free to try but then you have to buy it to get rid of an ugly watermark. It works on about 98% of the games I've ever used it with.

Also, and this is a big maybe because I don't really know anything about it, you could try running the game through DOSBox, which I think would automatically "window" it.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #4
Liver of Life

There is probably a better way, but you could always take a digital photograph. Looking at your website, I'd say you're not bad with the camera...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try ScummVM and DosBox first. I did try running in VDMSound and it did not give me the option of minimizing the window.

-emily

EDIT: I was able to take the screenshots using DosBox. For some reason I couldn't get ScummVM to work with the saves I downloaded. Mission accomplished though, so thanks for the help.

Last edited by fov; 12-06-2004 at 06:58 PM.