You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat How to ruin a film in 3 easy steps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #1

Default How to ruin a film in 3 easy steps

Actually no, make that one...

1) Take it to Hollywood.

If you've ever seen the cool French action flick "Taxi" directed by Luc Besson and shot in Marseille, you will cringe when you see this.

How is it that these people consistenly manage to take a perfectly good story with interesting characters and turn it into something... this, this-- LAME???

Some other films that have been given the ill-fated 'total makeover':

- "Klatretosen" (or Catch That Girl) became "Catch Those Kids"

- "Les Visiteurs" became "Just Visiting"

If they're so eager to copy European films because they like them, why don't they leave their own dumbass ideas out of them?

Can anyone else think of any erm... 'good' examples?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Banned User

I didn't totally hate Point of No Return, the Hollywood adaptation of Besson's La Femme Nikita. However, I consider it completely unnecessary and redundant, since Nikita was already about as close to a Hollywood action flick as anything that ever came out of France.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #3

Dammit, I still haven't seen La Femme Nikita. It's supposed to be really good, isn't it?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Under pressure.

Hmm, I liked the Ring better than the original version (Ringu). Which is not European, though. Oh well..

--Erwin
Old 10-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #5

European films are just an example, really... I'm talking about American remakes in general.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Dammit, I still haven't seen La Femme Nikita. It's supposed to be really good, isn't it?
One of my favourites on any given day. I have the DVD.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
In general, I'm not a big fan of French cinema. There have been occasional exceptions, but in general (and I am speaking in broad generalizations here) I find French films too self-conscious and unfocused for my taste.

I loved La Femme Nikita. It was a very "American" action film... with a brain. It is no surprise that John Badham (Blue Thunder, Wargames, Saturday Night Fever, Stakeout, Dracula) was pegged to direct Point of No Return.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Can anyone else think of any erm... 'good' examples?
I think "True Lies" is an example on how to make a good remake. I loved this film, and it's a remake of the french film "La totale".
Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
In general, I'm not a big fan of French cinema. There have been occasional exceptions, but in general (and I am speaking in broad generalizations here) I find French films too self-conscious and unfocused for my taste.
For some of the movies, that's the whole point (being self-conscious). I'm curious of having examples of french movies you saw in america and didn't like, though.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:42 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
It's one hell of a great movie.

I've wanted it on dvd for a long time already, but haven't still found a good dvd of it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #11
Evil Webmaster

Did someone know that 'Big' (with Tom Hanks) is actually a remake of an italian movie ('Da Grande' which translates roughly into 'Being adult')? But at least in that one, the kid didn't have sex with adults...
So there you go
Old 10-13-2004, 02:15 AM   #12
pain is love

The swedish Insomnia is superior than Hollywood one (also, Skaasgard RULES!), the british Italian Job is also way better than the new one, Ruingu (it was mentioned). But also, for example, I like The Magnificent Seven more that The Seven Samurai.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 10-13-2004, 04:36 AM   #13
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Not really a re-make, but sequels.

I hated it that in the "The Neverending Story" movies (except for the first one. The first one was nice), they suddenly changed important things. Like that it was suddenly set in the US. And that they changed the actress who played the childlike Empress (okay, this was probably because there were some years in between the movie).

But I still love the Neverending Story.

Can't think of anything else right now.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Not really a re-make, but sequels.

I hated it that in the "The Neverending Story" movies (except for the first one. The first one was nice), they suddenly changed important things. Like that it was suddenly set in the US. And that they changed the actress who played the childlike Empress (okay, this was probably because there were some years in between the movie).

But I still love the Neverending Story.

Can't think of anything else right now.

-
The problem with the Neverending Story is that cut the book in half while still trying to end the first movie in an Hollywood way.
Seriously, the movie was OK, but the book is so much more...
Old 10-13-2004, 06:14 AM   #15
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

How about the classic "Lady Killers" (hey we Brits are european too... when we want to be ). Tom Hanks and the Coens have turned a great classic of british cinema into a crap, charmless and purile hollywood film.

But anyway, whatever bad things you can say about Hollywood, I think it has encouraged European cinema to be dinstinctive and original as thats the only way it can compete with the Hollywood Crap Factory. And their remakes do generate interest in the originals (to see how it should have been done), so it's not all bad
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:24 AM   #16
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
How about the classic "Lady Killers" (hey we Brits are european too... when we want to be ). Tom Hanks and the Coens have turned a great classic of british cinema into a crap, charmless and purile hollywood film.
This I again have to agree.

The original Ladykillers is one of my favourite movies, and features a legendary all star cast, Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers...

Even though the Coen brothers have usually made great movies, I have to say that the remake of Ladykillers is pure shite.

Tom Hanks
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 AM   #17
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
¬ ¬
Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #18
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Am I the only one who prefers the remake of Insomnia over the original?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #19
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Yes.
Töre: You see it, God, you see it. The innocent child's death and my revenge. You allowed it. I don't understand you. Yet now I beg your forgiveness. I know no other way to be reconciled with my own hands. I know no other way to live.

-Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring (1960)
Old 10-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Never seen it, but I keep meaning to. This is the one with Robin Williams in it, right?

Oh, and there's a much simpler way of ruining a film. Just let Paul W S Anderson write and direct it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.