You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat My Final Farewell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default My Final Farewell

As some of you may have realised, I decided to quit the forums some time back. I didn’t announce my decision, then, purposely. I wanted to give it some time first, see what leaving was really like. And I didn’t want to go out on a hissy fit, and be persuaded to come back, or return anyway, as others had done before me.

Ever since the very first day the forums were opened, I’ve been one of their greatest supporters, and an integral part of the community. I’ve posted for three and a half years, and for all but the last part of those, it would not even have occurred to me to so much as consider leaving. It would have been unthinkable. So why am I doing it?

I’d actually been considering leaving for some time before I actually did .. the last straw was something pretty mild. To put it bluntly, the reason I’m leaving the community is that there is no community any more. I’ve stayed as long as I have only because it’s hard to let go of something you’ve given so much of yourself to. I’m not the only one. Others have left. Most of the regulars who remain complain that things have changed. It’s not the old AG they used to know and love. They don’t feel at home any more – don’t feel they have anything to contribute in this new environment, anymore.

What’s changed? It’s hard to quantify, to put your finger on it. I’ve hashed out the whys and wherefores with certain people, privately. I’m not going into it all here … don’t really see the point. If anyone wants to know my full take on it all, you’re welcome to contact me though. In short, however, not only is there no tight-knit community anymore, but neither is that still being encouraged. AG used to be a special place, something you would not find the likes of elsewhere on the net. It’s not, anymore. It is just any other place on the internet. There is no coherent sense of self at AG any more, no sense of belonging to a single group.

I believe that all this was avoidable, and the result of misguided choices. And it’s a damn shame. Something special is now no more. Is this important? After all, isn’t AG about the adventures, the main site, rather than a group of people who became friends? Even if you take the view that a group of friends like this isn’t important per se … having such a strong community has been a huge asset for AG. When the servers went down, people stuck together, communicating by other means, and spread the news joyfully when the site came back up. Without the community, AG would have survived, but it would never have recovered so quickly.

Will this post make any difference? I hope so, but I doubt it. That’s not the reason I’m sending it. I didn’t need to give any explanations, but it just did not feel right, after all I’ve invested in the community and all I’ve got back from it, to go without saying goodbye. I’ve made real friends here, and I wouldn’t like to lose any who’d like to stay in touch. So, this is the real point of the thread. All of you, those I consider my friends, you know who you are. I’m leaving my contact details at the bottom – stay in touch. Also, if anyone would like to keep up with what I’m up to – this site is still around and I’m going to use it partly as a journal to replace the writing that would once have gone here. I would really appreciate having some old AGers there, our old small, tight group. I love you all.

Finally, and this is important, for those of you who live in the Netherlands particularly and mainland Europe in general – it is not certain, but very likely, that I will be studying in the Netherlands, at Utrecht University, for a semester next year on an exchange trip. I would like to meet up with forum members I’ve got to know over the years. If you live somewhere that would be accessible by train from there, and would be interested in meeting up, please contact me by email or otherwise.

I may be quitting the physical site, but I have no wish to quit the real friendships that were made here.

Contact details:

email: [email protected]
AOL: kingzjester esq
homepage:
http://www.idlethumbs.net/
http://timisgod.mixnmojo.com/
Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
merely human

I love you, Kingz! You're my favourite online curmudgeon and all around bitch-with-a-big-heart. Hmmm, feels weird saying that, considering I see you regularly at Idle Thumbs anyway. Well, suffice it to say that on behalf of the AG community I will (here at AG of course) miss your intellectual edge on the windingly various topics we've chewed on, as well as your idiosyncratic take on it all. Sad to see that oft misunderstood humour go away. But you'll always be an adorable friend to the AG Trep, distance notwithstanding.

my hot little Texan!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

There's fewer and fewer people on the AG boards I recognize, and you were one of them Kingz, so it'll be a shame to see you go.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-12-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
Retirement is stupid

You probably have no desire to hear this. But I'd be lying if I said I won't miss you. I wish you all the best--and look forward to your future work on Thumbs.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 08-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I get the feeling that this piece of work is rather heavily borrowed by tamz' farewell and this make me think that it isn't very serious. On the other hand it could be anyway. Who knows?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-12-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
Under pressure.

It's a damn shame to see another key member of this community go. Damn.

But it's good to know you'll be around at the T. And that you may study here in the Netherlands. Just like Tamz.... :eek: Oh my god!?

--Erwin
Old 08-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Knowledgeable

I just checked with Tamz' farewell thread (http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2525) and except the contact details there is just one little phrase that Kingz changed. Otherwise they are exactly the same.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
Under pressure.

Heh.

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2525

Kingz, you bastard!

--Erwin

Edit: Oops, I was too late.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I just checked with Tamz' farewell thread (http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2525) and except the contact details there is just one little phrase that Kingz changed. Otherwise they are exactly the same.
Yep, that's what I thought... I felt the exact same annoyance reading this as I did reading Tamara's post.
I really hope it was a joke, AG without Kingsjester would me, er..., Monkey Island without Guybrush ? :eek: .
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
merely human

WHAT?! Kingsz, you had better have meant this as a joke, otherwise.....

What would Jesus say?!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #11
A Servicable Villain

I just thought this was a very, very, VERY postmodern way to say goodbye, copying it from someone else
Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #12
Doctor Watson

I noticed he copied it from Tamz from the beginning.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:50 AM   #13
Mostly absent

Yeah, it didn't feel like Kingz had wrote it. The text was too "clean".

It's a real shame that all the regulars are leaving this place though. Unfortunately I haven't been to the T forums much, mainly because I really haven't had enough time or strength to be a regular poster on two forums. I've been thinking about this though and I've decided to give it a shot anyway, tomorrow. Or the day after that.

Last edited by Mattsius; 08-13-2004 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:57 AM   #14
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What would Jesus say?!
Jesus says: "Rev. Troy Perry performed the first same-sex marriage ever conducted in the United States in 1970, and in 1971 filed the first-ever lawsuit seeking legal recognition of same-sex marriages.

Today's decision by the California Supreme Court voiding 4000 marriage licenses issued to same-sex couples in San Francisco marks a sad day in the struggle for equal rights for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender persons.

It is important to note that this is a very narrow ruling and the court will not address the more important constitutional questions until later this year."

Among other things.

----------------------

Kingz, I will miss your laugh.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:20 AM   #15
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Please don't leave, Kingz. Then the forum will only be more dead inside...
Old 08-13-2004, 02:55 AM   #16
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko

Please don't leave, Kingz. Then the forum will only be more dead inside...
Well, actually he already has.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:48 AM   #17
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
WHAT?! Kingsz, you had better have meant this as a joke, otherwise.....

What would Jesus say?!
It's good to know that Jesus is on a distinguished road.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-13-2004, 05:07 AM   #18
merely human

No comment.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #19
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

meh, didn't mean to be replying again. But a quick note, as I appear to have been misunderstood. This has nothing to do either with a) old-timers leaving or b) new people coming in. Both of those have been happening continuously from the beginning, without changing the basic fabric that much. The problem is the "less desirable changes" jake mentioned. Which is the reason more old-timers are leaving at the moment, at least the ones I've spoken to, rather than simply drifting away. Also, this thread was mainly aimed at people I'm more or less friendly with, because it's rather rude to leave without saying bye and because I'd like to keep in touch and don't have everyone's email. It wasn't a call for everyone to up and leave the forums, for cripes sakes.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:47 AM   #20
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Sad to see you go...