You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat In memory of Cora

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Default In memory of Cora

Cora
October 1996 - 26th Novemeber 2011
Rest in Peace

~*~

We just buried our dear Cora. She had been with us for an amazing and wonderful 15 years. She was the friendliest dog I had ever known, even winning over people that usually dislike dogs, because she was so loveable and dear. She maintained her youthful spirit to the end, despite her age finally showing. But when she was feeling well, she was her energetic self again, so much that only two weeks ago she was once again asked "That's a really young one, right?" - still getting mistaken for a Juvenile dog, at age 15.

But she had had several epileptic seizures these last few weeks. I did not witness one of these, which I am quite glad for, because I was told it was not pretty. Yesterday she had the last one, and she spent this last night at the Vets where she was treated. My sister and her boyfriend left her some of their clothes for the night so she might have a bit more comfort with the familiar smell nearby. We visited her this morning, and though she was awake, she was not able to respond to our presence. She did seem to notice us though, since her demeanour changed when we came close. Later she did even manage to move a bit and move her head to the side towards my sister by her own, but it was still obvious that she had hardly any energy left.

It was a hard decision, but everyone agreed, that it was for the best. We were glad for the extra time we were allowed to spend with her after her eye had to have been removed because of the tumor. The tumor had also come back, so we had to make the choice to let her go. It would not have gotten better, and we didn't want to let her keep suffering. We buried her in the garden wearing the dog-pullover my mother had knitted for her, some of her favourite toys, and lieing on one of her favourite pillows. We cut off some of her fur which was still so wonderfully soft and fluffy. My sister wants to make keychains for us from them, so we will always have a part of her with us.

She was a fighter, our Cora. We adopted her from the animal shelter after Christmas '96. She was our first dog ever, and she was the best dog we could have picked, I think. Cora had been brought to the Shelter together with her other siblings. When we arrived, she and only one of her sisters was still there. I know most of them had parvo, and several had died from it. Cora was the smallest of them who also had been sick, but she survived. When we hadn't had her for long yet, we all came home one evening, to find Cora was not there. Somehow (we still don't know how), she had escaped, and my sister Alexandra could hardly speak, she was crying so hard (my sister nearly never cries). Then after some time, we got a call from the local police, saying they had a dog at the station, and asked if it was ours. We were all so relieved.

She was a real sunshine, and came along nearly everywhere we went. My sister and her boyfriend always had her along. She was allowed to lie under the dinner table when we had a big meal on some Sundays, and she would look up at us through the glass table, eyeing the food (my mother would always give her some tiny bits, even though we told her she shouldn't do so while still sitting at the table).

She definitely had a happy life. We'll miss her so much, and we'll never forget her. I'm sure she's now in Doggie heaven, and finally with her little brother Cuno again.

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Sorry to hear about Cora.

I've had a few dogs and it's always sad when they pass.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Creepy Father Figure

It's hard to lose a family member like that. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

I'm so sorry about your loss Jaz!

If you remember, Cora was the secret twin of my dog Jaffa. And when you describe Cora it's just like reading about Jaffa.
I can't believe how empty it must feel without her being around.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
*hugs*
Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Sorry to hear about this, Jazzie. My condolences to you and your family for your loss.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Filmfreak

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like it was a wonderful dog, and it must hurt to lose a companion like that...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Second Degree Black Belt

Oh I'm so sorry Jaz, I thinking about you and your family in your time of loss

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Stalker of Britain

So sorry, Jaz.

Sounds like she was a great friend.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Having lost Bessie earlier this year, I can imagine all too well how you are feeling at the moment. Remember the happy times (it sounds like there were many of those) and that she led a good life with you. I've kept a picture of Bessie being her adorable self (lying on top of some papers I was supposed to be working on) as my desktop and that helps me remember her fondly. Perhaps you could do something similar to help ease the pain at this troubled time.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
an angel of romance

So sorry to hear that Jaz. She was a very beautiful dog, for sure.
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
It's Hard To Be Humble

My condolences to you and your family, Jaz.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
Flower bower bird

Awww. I'm so sorry to hear this, Jaz, but what a nice tribute you wrote for her. She'll always be in your heart.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Citizen of Bizarro World

That's sad. My great-uncle in Germany had an almost German Sheppard named Cora.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Sorry to hear about this.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
tsa
Playing character

Aw, this brings tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your loss Jazz.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry about Cora, Jazz.

What a beautiful girl.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #17
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to find me a nice picture of Cora to keep near me. I still have an old picture of our first guinea pig and second bunny (I am sure somewhere we have pictures of our first bunny, but I don't know for sure) right here at my table.

My mother told me that my oldest sister who is a Vet in England nearly brought a new puppy here which they had at their clinic recently (one of two puppies having been thrown out of a window. Seriously, what is wrong with people? ), because it looked so much like Cora when she was a puppy. But the police confiscated them as evidence (a special case of puppies being thrown out of the window. Very strange story, really.).

But I am really thankful for your support. Thank you.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!