You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Map(s) of Victorian London

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Map(s) of Victorian London

I have a question for you Britons out there. As you may know I am interested in Victorian England, and because London was the place where many things happened I would like to get an idea of what the city was like back then. For that a map would come in handy. It so happens that I have a UD$ 50,- voucher for Amazon.com. So I typed in: map london 1800s and was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of maps I can choose from. These are all maps from parts of London. Which one(s) should I buy? Or can you recommend a good book with maps in it? Problem is: I don't know much about contemporary London either so I don't know where to begin. Please help me!

Edit: of course another thing is: London more or less exploded during the Victorian era so I probably need more than one map of the same area.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Lovable rogue

I looked at the link you put in, and I'm not sure of how much interest those maps would be to you. Here's a Wikipedia explanation of what the Ordinance Survey is. They have a fair amount of detail on things such as roads and the height of hills, and so are useful for people travelling or doing Geography lessons, but I don't know if they'd convey the sort of historic information you're after.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
tsa
Playing character

Sorry that I react so late but that is exactly what I'm looking for. What the streets looked like you can find in other resources. Maps are not good for that. But is there no map of the whole of London in 1850 or so?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
It's Hard To Be Humble

I had a whole series of sections of a major survey map done of London in the Victorian era. Lemme see if I can dig up the name. I'll get back to you shortly.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
It's Hard To Be Humble

Okay, I know you're thinking about Amazon, and I'd go look stuff up for you, but I'm a little pressed for time, so here is a link to the site I obtained a detailed survey map from back when i was researching The Dark Guild story for the Link West RPG:
CHARLES BOOTH LONDON 1889
I also know you're thinking mid 1800s, so I can tell you that THIS SITE was invaluable in my research.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
tsa
Playing character

Woot! Thanks Lee, that's great!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
It's Hard To Be Humble

I would send you a proper composite of the sections, but apparently, back when I was doing that book, my computer was so slow, I couldn't finish putting it together in Photoshop. My big version is only 3/4ths done. I really should finish putting it together some day, just for the hell of it.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
tsa
Playing character

I'm already very happy with the sites you mentioned Lee.